Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 02:16 PM

Default Buddy Heater Issues

Every time I use my buddy heater for a prolonged period in my tent I find that I have a burning sensation in my nostrils for several hours afterwards. Just wondering if it’s a faulty heater possibly? Seems like it’s not burning the propane fully
Old 11-26-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy99 View Post
Every time I use my buddy heater for a prolonged period in my tent I find that I have a burning sensation in my nostrils for several hours afterwards. Just wondering if it’s a faulty heater possibly? Seems like it’s not burning the propane fully
That sounds problematic for sure! I would honestly call their customer support to get an answer on if they'll can replace it. If the propane is undergoing incomplete combustion that could be very serious. I know they have the O2 sensors in them, but like everything, it could be faulty.
Additionally, if your heater is dirty (element) it could be burning whatever's on it and causing particles to become airborne.
Regardless, this isn't good, lol.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:06 PM

are there any shops that fix Buddy Heaters? We have one that stopped firing up for us, so we went to a double sunflower, but we'd still like to get the Buddy fixed if we can. Anybody know of any place? Red Deer or Calgary preferable...
Old 11-26-2020, 03:14 PM

All heaters of this type require proper ventilation to be safely used. What you are experiencing may be due to improper ventilation.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:17 PM

a friend had this issue before using a 20lb tank his was actually a small leak in the hose filling his tent with propane fumes. Lucky all he got was a burning set of nostrils.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply everyone. Sounds like potentially a fault heater or I may just need to ventilate the tent better
Old 11-26-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy99 View Post
Thanks for the reply everyone. Sounds like potentially a fault heater or I may just need to ventilate the tent better
Likely faulty. I have a tent that is pretty air tight and the o2 sensor will extinguish the flame every time. You can tell as the pilot flame will separate from the bottom up first before going out. Then it takes quite a bit before it will start again. At least from what I've experienced.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 PM

Do you just use the bottles or are you connected to a 20lb tank.I had the exact issue with mine when connected to the 20lb tank.I installed an inline filter and then realized it was my hose that was the problem.New hose and problem went away.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Try more ventilation...more than likely the issue.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Likely faulty. I have a tent that is pretty air tight and the o2 sensor will extinguish the flame every time. You can tell as the pilot flame will separate from the bottom up first before going out. Then it takes quite a bit before it will start again. At least from what I've experienced.
Here lies the problem, it’s not an o2 sensor, it’s a low oxygen sensor, huge difference. The propane fumes always give me a little headache, but I’m not dead, I’ve headed a different direction now, big buddy is only my back
up now
Old 11-26-2020, 09:28 PM

I use a Coleman catalytic heater no problem with fumes
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

I’ve used my buddy heater in my hunting/fishing conversion-cargo trailer and the two carbon monoxide detectors have never gone off. I have seen a carbon monoxide detector go off if the pilot is not properly burning (usually just a cleaning required). If iam overnighting in my ice tent I always pack the Detector as well, fits nicely in the buddy heater case