Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 05:20 PM

Talking Garbage clean-up competition!! (More and bigger prizes)

Hey everyone

Over the years I've noticed more and more people discussing the issue of garbage on the ice while people ice fish. I'm guessing with the surge in numbers of people fishing this year due to covid, it will unfortunately get worse. This got me thinking of solutions on how to help with this issue.

Over the span of safe ice conditions (Dec 01-March-31), I am holding a competition between members on this forum for garbage cleanup.

UPDATED PRIZES:

First place: $100 Fishin’ Hole Gift Card, 42” Shimano Convergence Ice Rod, $25 Reid’s Fly Shop Gift Card, and a GLoomis/Shimano hat.

Second Place: $25 Fishin’ Hole Gift Card, $25 Reid’s Fly Shop Gift Card, and a GLoomis/Shimano Hat.

Third Place: Barry Mitchell Alberta Fishing Guide for 2021, 5 Ice Fishing Flies, GLoomis/Shimano Hat, and a $25 Fishin’ Hole Gift Card.

I would like to sincerely thank SamSteele, the Edmonton area Shimano rep, and an anonymous AO member (he’s a great guy) for donating to the prizes this year.

Please be familiar with the rules:
1) Participants must take a picture (and post on this thread) of the garbage before you pick it up to verify that you aren't taking garbage from somewhere else.

2) The participant must weigh the garbage and present photos of the garbage in a bag being weighed. This can me using a scale on the ice or at home.

3) All entries must be made on the thread and by the end of the season, I will tally up who has cumulatively collected the most amount of weight.

4) If anyone is found cheating, will be disqualified.

5) Cleaning up garbage in dangerous situations is not allowed (i.e. rivers or thin ice).

6) Half-burned firewood, natural debris, fish carcasses and dead baitfish do not count.

7) Your garbage or your friend’s garbage does not count, as you should not be littering.

To enter this competition, simply:
- Reply to this thread “I’m in”
- Start posting pictures from December first and onward.

Notes and Disclaimer: I am funding this competition myself. I am not affiliated with AO, Fishin' Hole or any other organization. I'm not eligible for winning this competition, but I will be posting pictures and weights of garbage I collect.
I know there are a lot fo good people out there that can make a difference and I'm hoping we can make a dent in it!! If this year's competition is successful, next year's prizes will be bigger.

Be safe, and good luck!

Last edited by admin; 12-03-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:27 PM

I'm in! Absolute beauty of an idea bud. The world would benefit from more forward thinking like this. Good on ya
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM

I'm in. I would hope the honor system says it all. Great idea and thanks for the taking the lead FlyTheory!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:34 PM

I’m in. I usually pick up crap that people leave behind. Whoever goes to Gull or Cross lake will probably win.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Maxx, Snap, Jigs, thank you for joining and the kind words!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 PM

I'm in, although I have to be honest. I haven't seen much on the ice the past few years where I go, and that's a good thing!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-25-2020, 07:07 PM

I’m in. Great idea. I try to instill the leave it cleaner than you found it with the kids so this some additional incentive for them.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Got this started by picking up a couple of plastic bottles left on the ice this weekend by anglers the obviously care less. Didn't weigh them though the one is half full of frozen water. But that would likely be wrong. So whatever we think the empty weight of the two...almost nothing or nothing is fine be me. Glad to do it.

If we choose not to weigh it, should it count? I'm thinking not and just live with a good deed
Old 11-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Got this started by picking up a couple of plastic bottles left on the ice this weekend by anglers the obviously care less. Didn't weigh them though the one is half full of frozen water. But that would likely be wrong. So whatever we think the empty weight of the two...almost nothing or nothing is fine be me. Glad to do it.

If we choose not to weigh it, should it count? I'm thinking not and just live with a good deed
Thanks Snap! Looks like your smartwater weighs about 34g and the other one ~26g. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the competition date opens tomorrow, so I can’t count them. But picking it up regardless of points is appreciated
Old 11-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Thanks Snap! Looks like your smartwater weighs about 34g and the other one ~26g. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the competition date opens tomorrow, so I can’t count them. But picking it up regardless of points is appreciated
All good. Call it practice for the real competition
Old 12-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Alrighty I think I'll do my first post to the site saying I'm in for this. I do it normally anyways, and anything to get more crap off the ice is a good thing.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:56 PM

I’m in. I always pickup more than I bring. I even get the cigarette butts. I won’t be posting pictures, to hard to do on AO. There’s never a shortage of garbage n the lakes or stream banks.

BW
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 PM

I'm in. It'll help keep my eyes peeled for garbage and I have to restock some garbage bags into my tackle box anyways.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 AM

I’m glad to see more people signing up to participate

Cheers everyone!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:10 PM

Also:
If anyone has trouble posting pictures, contact me through PM and I’ll give you a hand.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:29 PM

FlyTheory ... not burnt just abandoned last December, about 40-45 lbs, can't believe the chit people leave for others to clean-up, guess they never listened to their Mother.

Congrat's on the excellent initiative ...

EDIT: - I'm In .... & I picked up a electronic scale the other day, now I can put it to good use.

D.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I'm in but if I happen to collect to the point I qualify for a prize I would like to have it go towards a new angler. I will reach out then if this does happen. Great on you guys for organizing something like this.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 PM

Thank you Fly Theory for the initiative. I am a Shimano Field Staff and would like to donate a prize pack for the winners as well. There is a Shimano Convergence 42 inch Heavy spinning ice rod, a warm toque, a spool of 15# blue PowerPro SuperSlick, a pack of awesome Jackall Rhythm Wave swimbaits, and the deadly Jackall TN50 rattle bait. Best of luck to everyone this ice season . Stay safe 👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 698459D7-EA66-439B-B702-8B20AC09020D.jpg (23.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-18-2020, 07:41 PM

Caught this party cup blowing across the ice at Chain Lakes (south), today. Went over I'm the direction it came from bit didnt find anymore trash. Didnt weigh it because I dont think it will register haha. It's now in my garbage at home though

Old 12-18-2020, 07:52 PM

Iam in
Old 12-20-2020, 01:50 PM

Count me in too I swear sometimes I have hauled more lbs of garbage to the highway rest stops than lbs of fish home to eat.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So far a very disappointment from a competition perspective but happy people are not leaving crap all over the place.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Picked this 20 lb line up the other day that was left near one of my spots by the Lighthouse ... jeesh.

D.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Garbage clean up

Awesome idea, good on you sir. Hope good karma comes your way. Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:10 PM

Im in just don't know how much fishing Ill be doing 2020 - 2021 fishing season, but I always pick up what others leave behind, always have.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:41 PM

What a great idea, so glad to see the support from AO members.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:51 AM

Maxx and Zip, you both are tied for first, thanks for getting this competition going!!! Also thank you so much of everyone else's entry and participation

I've been out 4 times... No garbage, which is really good! The thing I find with ice fishing season is that the garbage starts to accumulate later in the season.. lets hope not, but we shall see what happens.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Maxx and Zip, you both are tied for first, thanks for getting this competition going!!! Also thank you so much of everyone else's entry and participation

I've been out 4 times... No garbage, which is really good! The thing I find with ice fishing season is that the garbage starts to accumulate later in the season.. lets hope not, but we shall see what happens.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Yewwww! That red solo cup is making waves haha

Merry Christmas
Old 01-12-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Been a while/bttt!

A couple of snowmobile coyboys chose to leave some Xmas decor up at Island Lake (Athabasca). This candy cane weights in at a solid 322g! Haven’t seen much garbage recently, but I’ve also heard murmurs of people dumping a few things here and there. Competition is still on folks!
Cheers!
Old 01-12-2021, 11:48 AM
Banned

Gregg lake

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk