Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Default Quiver carry

I don’t like my quiver on my bow for hinting or even at the range we usually always have our eberlestock pack frames on. Anyone ever take there quiver and put it on the side of a pack or a frame.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:56 AM

Said it before, I'll say it again. Hip quiver.

Yes, it does have it's drawbacks (climbing THROUGH a fence doesn't happen - luckily I'm tall enough to go over 99% of the top wires) but I'd much rather have a bow that's half the weight on an out-stretched arm than having 6 arrows / 2-piece quiver that's acting like a sail.

I bought my light weight carbon bow for the light weight. When the 2-piece quiver is on and loaded with 6 arrows, the weight of the bow almost doubles.

With my hip quiver I can easily hold my bow out, drawn on an animal for as long as I need/want. And the other plus is that I know the impact won't change because of changing weight of the bow.

While I used to shoot with a quiver on the bow, I found too many advantages to NOT have it on the bow.

Your idea of taking it off and putting it on a pack makes sense, however I would wonder what happens to your aiming / impact because of the change in weight after you've practiced with it on? I know that in my experience things changed.

J.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:23 AM

With the 5-arrow Tight Spot, I leave it on the bow for most practice and most hunting. Since it takes a flip of a lever to remove, I do shoot a bit without it. I do not notice a POI change either way.

I frequently take it off while hunting from tree stands or ground blinds, or for shots where it is windy when mountain hunting.

As per weight, the Tight Spot weights 10 ounces, and each of my 5 arrows is slightly over an ounce. Total extra weight loaded is about a pound.

I once owned a new Hoyt Carbon Element when they first hit the market....3-1/2 pound bow with no accessories. I ordered a Hoyt 2-piece quiver for it from my dealer. The quiver weighed nearly 1/2 the weight of the bow and came with a bucket of bolts to assemble and mount. I returned the dang thing unmounted to the dealer. This was 9 years ago so have no idea if Hoyt's 2-piece has gone on a diet or not, but I wanted nothing to do with the one I had briefly.

As per the Carbon Element, I found it to be the most difficult bow to shoot accurately under mountain hunting conditions I'd ever owned. I wasn't a good enough archer to handle the jumpy Fuel Cams, short axle to axle length. Arrows frequently did not hit behind the pin. It soon got relegated to back up status to my old bow and then went to a new home. The finish didn't hold up either. I don't use a stabilizer as I don't like to carry a bow with the extra weight and bulkier profile...I suspect that would have tamed the Carbon Element down a bit.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM

I take the quiver off the bow all the time. If I'm in a tree I hang it from a limb. On the ground it's strapped to the pack. I risk walking with an arrow knocked or in hand.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:26 AM

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8910762e

I have this mounted on my bow. It fits on under my regular quiver if I ever wanted. I carry one arrow on it so I have one easily accessible. The 5 arrow quiver is on my pack 90% of the time.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8910762e

I have this mounted on my bow. It fits on under my regular quiver if I ever wanted. I carry one arrow on it so I have one easily accessible. The 5 arrow quiver is on my pack 90% of the time.
I took a look at it, I assume the broadhead isn’t covered?
Old 11-27-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Option

I have a tight spot quiver on my bow. I went to Jimbows and bought an additional mounting bracket. I then took the base of an old holster and mounted the tight spot mount at the correct angle (about 45 degrees) so the hood is facing forward and down. Works great and can go between the bow and hip in about 2 seconds

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:28 PM

I appreciate all the info i have a tight spott also i have some thinking to do now lol.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:12 PM

Anyone use one of these?
https://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/...a-bow-quiiver/
Looks like a nice small quiver for 2 blades.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I took a look at it, I assume the broadhead isn’t covered?
Correct
Old 12-03-2020, 08:29 AM

I use a Cat quiver. I have always thought about trying to mount the quiver portion to another pack, but haven't had a real need or gotten around to it yet. Should be simple enough. I don't like a quiver on the bow.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Going to order a cat quiver mini after Christmas