Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 12:43 AM

Default Twitching Jigs and Coho

While Coho Salmon Fishing on rivers is relatively new to me, I have taken a liking to twitching hand tied marabou jigs for Coho. I owe a lot of my river fishing knowledge to discussion, tips, tales and tactics directly from, Rodney Hsu "Fishing with Rod." His videos really do help anyone along their fishing journey from novice to experienced. When it comes to "Twitching Jigs" though this video should really help you get started if you have been struggling with your first hook up. I think after a few more outings with the Jig you may even be able to find a How to Twitch Video going up on Rod's Channel... lets say as early as next season, haha! When I found out that Coho would take lures and saw people catch coho on Jigs I felt this was right up my line of experience. I grew up fishing the prairies for walleye on lakes and slower rivers. Jigging was one of the prime tactics employed to catch the marbled eyed critters. Since walleye tend to live near the bottom on drop offs, points and underwater structure the use of a lead jig to cover structure was prime. I had been hopping jigs for years. So when I saw guys twitching for salmon I kind of was in disbelief that this would actually work. Then one day I found myself on the river bank and actually watched as salmon darted out after a jig from a log jam. I knew right then and there I was onto something that I was all too familiar with. These coho were in trouble. If you want to see that older video I'll post below. Soon I was snagging jigs and losing more than I really wanted to purchase. So I got into tying my own. After tying a bunch on sub quality hooks I have realized I just wasted a lot of time and materials cheaping out on the business end of twitching. So if you want to tie your own jigs trust me that you want to get something worthy of your time and effort on the bench. I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED with the JIG GEEK JIGS that I was using in this video. These things have super durable paint, a super sharp, sturdy sickle style hook. It is a great size for hooking up and staying pinned through the coho acrobatics and death rolls they use to pop hooks loose. I was using the 3/8 ounce jigs that I tied with my own paterns shown at the end of the video.

I hope you enjoy the video. I'll post another link to the old video in the next reply.

New Video: https://youtu.be/3GLoIAF8wzE

Old Vidoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWKVMY1gEI

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 11-26-2020, 08:52 PM

good info and most of us are jealous, going to get that covid injection just so I can get back to bc with out spreading it.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:57 PM

Default your a better fisherman than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
While Coho Salmon Fishing on rivers is relatively new to me, I have taken a liking to twitching hand tied marabou jigs for Coho. I owe a lot of my river fishing knowledge to discussion, tips, tales and tactics directly from, Rodney Hsu "Fishing with Rod." His videos really do help anyone along their fishing journey from novice to experienced. When it comes to "Twitching Jigs" though this video should really help you get started if you have been struggling with your first hook up. I think after a few more outings with the Jig you may even be able to find a How to Twitch Video going up on Rod's Channel... lets say as early as next season, haha! When I found out that Coho would take lures and saw people catch coho on Jigs I felt this was right up my line of experience. I grew up fishing the prairies for walleye on lakes and slower rivers. Jigging was one of the prime tactics employed to catch the marbled eyed critters. Since walleye tend to live near the bottom on drop offs, points and underwater structure the use of a lead jig to cover structure was prime. I had been hopping jigs for years. So when I saw guys twitching for salmon I kind of was in disbelief that this would actually work. Then one day I found myself on the river bank and actually watched as salmon darted out after a jig from a log jam. I knew right then and there I was onto something that I was all too familiar with. These coho were in trouble. If you want to see that older video I'll post below. Soon I was snagging jigs and losing more than I really wanted to purchase. So I got into tying my own. After tying a bunch on sub quality hooks I have realized I just wasted a lot of time and materials cheaping out on the business end of twitching. So if you want to tie your own jigs trust me that you want to get something worthy of your time and effort on the bench. I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED with the JIG GEEK JIGS that I was using in this video. These things have super durable paint, a super sharp, sturdy sickle style hook. It is a great size for hooking up and staying pinned through the coho acrobatics and death rolls they use to pop hooks loose. I was using the 3/8 ounce jigs that I tied with my own paterns shown at the end of the video.

I hope you enjoy the video. I'll post another link to the old video in the next reply.

New Video: https://youtu.be/3GLoIAF8wzE

Old Vidoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWKVMY1gEI
always love your videos.your techniques are clear, precious , most of all you enjoy it
Old 11-27-2020, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Can we not wait until hunting season is over.....my mind is simple and can not take the overload of things to do

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Can we not wait until hunting season is over.....my mind is simple and can not take the overload of things to do
X2
I just can't get myself to go ice fishing until my hunting gear is swapped out for the ice gear.
Usually around the time the whitefish have turned off
Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 PM

You guys are funny, Thanks for watching.

Here is another Jig Twitching video for Coho with a whole lot less talking. November 11th, Thanks to all the VETERANS and peopld who serve to keep our Country Free and Safe!

https://youtu.be/y6wpO0Qtx8k

Twitching Jigs for Chrome November Coho Salmon on the Vedder River in Chilliwack British Columbia. I love twitching jigs and this little pool on my way out after trying a dead run in the morning turned out to be wuite a surprise. Anytime you have deeper slower moving water off the main channel there quite often are fish holding in that water. Coho love this time of water. Although traditional floating of roe through the slow moving water is often not very effective at all. So that is when you should switch it up to a twitching jig or a lure to trigger bites. You will see in this video how effective Jigs can't be at getting down into the strike zone and creating an agression bite.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures