Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM

Default The one that got away

Fishing on the Peace River as a 12 year old or so. Had my big green braided line as usual wrapped around a willow peg. Set up a willow pole and spooled out a bunch of line from the peg. Stuck the peg in the ground and then threw it out 80' or so into the current with a chub head and a spark plug on. A couple of loops around the top of the pole and off to throw out a couple more lines including a chub line. Saw the willow pole going crazy and bending down right to the water. Ran over and just missed the peg, pole and everything disappearing into the river. Pretty sure it was a world record burbot or pike. I'll never know but over 40 years later, still wonder.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Losing river monsters is the worst. Nothing like having your drag scream down the river only to have it snap before catching a glimpse of the leviathan on the other end.

I always manage to convince myself that it was a 14lb walleye, but more often than not it's likely a small sturgeon, beaver, or a large piece of driftwood
Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM

I was fishing bridge pilings in Florida last winter with live shrimp when something took it that I couldn't even slow down. It snapped my line and then about 15 minutes after retying I landed a cute little 15" hammerhead shark. I still wonder if I had Mom on the line previous.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:40 PM

Default The one that got away

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I was fishing bridge pilings in Florida last winter with live shrimp when something took it that I couldn't even slow down. It snapped my line and then about 15 minutes after retying I landed a cute little 15" hammerhead shark. I still wonder if I had Mom on the line previous.
Probably a big shark or more likely a Goliath grouper. I’ve had those on before that snapped 500 lb. mono.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:24 PM

33 years ago on the dock at uncle bobs cabin at lower mann lake, put on my brand new len tompson orange/black dots "pumpkin spice" spoon. First cast of the day, BANG. then slack........ then a monster pike 48" at least swims with my hook right under dock, takes a hard right or left, line gets tense again....... annnnndd snap!! biggest pike i have ever hooked, gone with my new spoon. Walked back to cabin in tears, told my dad all about it. 8 hours later 100 yards from shore with dad in little boat, dad gets a hit. ITS A BIG ONE!! ITS A BIG ONR HE SAYS....... a short fight and line goes slack. Oh, lost it. Dad reals in. Attached to his hook..... a leader with my orange/black len thompson spoon. Dad was a hero for getting my hook back and says to this day hes never felt a heavier fish.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
33 years ago on the dock at uncle bobs cabin at lower mann lake, put on my brand new len tompson orange/black dots "pumpkin spice" spoon. First cast of the day, BANG. then slack........ then a monster pike 48" at least swims with my hook right under dock, takes a hard right or left, line gets tense again....... annnnndd snap!! biggest pike i have ever hooked, gone with my new spoon. Walked back to cabin in tears, told my dad all about it. 8 hours later 100 yards from shore with dad in little boat, dad gets a hit. ITS A BIG ONE!! ITS A BIG ONR HE SAYS....... a short fight and line goes slack. Oh, lost it. Dad reals in. Attached to his hook..... a leader with my orange/black len thompson spoon. Dad was a hero for getting my hook back and says to this day hes never felt a heavier fish.
Ha! Awesome.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:37 PM

Sturgeon fishing in the Fraser as a teenager hooked into one that dragged my 14ft aluminum up river like nothing until it broke me off on a boom line. My personal best is over 11ft and this one made my personal best look like a sissy the way it fought