Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
So is a spear, look where that got us.
If you can pick waterfowl out of the air at 30-40 yards with a spear , then you are good. I will stick with a shotgun.

Quote:
OMG CNTH...one year I decided to take up skeet shooting and entered a league.. I did fairly well in the team shooting league...head out to the field and I couldn't hit the broad side of barn...still to this day bothers me WHY ?? Before that league stuff.. I could bang more birds in a shoot than Austin Powers but seriously
In my experience the 90+ percent skeet shooters that I have hunted with did very well on birds.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-17-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
OMG CNTH...one year I decided to take up skeet shooting and entered a league.. I did fairly well in the team shooting league...head out to the field and I couldn't hit the broad side of barn...still to this day bothers me WHY ?? Before that league stuff.. I could bang more birds in a shoot than Austin Powers but seriously
The problem is skeet shooting is 100% predictable. Same targets every...single...time. There is no reading of the target involved. Other than trigger timing, it doesn't contribute as much as other clay games. If your on a budget, get a friend to stand behind you in an elevated position like a truck box and hand throw clay targets randomly. This is a cheap way to learn target attitude and where to break it without calling for the shot....much like hunting.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The problem is skeet shooting is 100% predictable. Same targets every...single...time. There is no reading of the target involved. Other than trigger timing, it doesn't contribute as much as other clay games. If your on a budget, get a friend to stand behind you in an elevated position like a truck box and hand throw clay targets randomly. This is a cheap way to learn target attitude and where to break it without calling for the shot....much like hunting.
If you always shot skeet on a perfectly calm day, you would be correct, but it usually isn't calm, and the wind does blow the targets around. Last Sunday, the wind was from behind the high house, and many targets were hitting the ground before they even reached the low house. I actually picked up unbroken targets as far as 9 yards from the low house, and many of the low house targets were climbing rapidly and curving into the outfield. I would like to see you shoot doubles from stations 3,4,5 under those conditions. But you would probably be better at talking them into breaking than shooting them.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you always shot skeet on a perfectly calm day, you would be correct, but it usually isn't calm, and the wind does blow the targets around. Last Sunday, the wind was from behind the high house, and many targets were hitting the ground before they even reached the low house. I actually picked up unbroken targets as far as 9 yards from the low house, I would like to see you shoot doubles from stations 3,4,5 under those conditions. But you would probably be better at talking them into breaking than shooting them.
Ok. Skeet has 1 variable. You are aware that the other games are played in the wind as well? Yes. I have shot in the challenges of wind.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Ok. Skeet has 1 variable. You are aware that the other games are played in the wind as well? Yes. I have shot in the challenges of wind.

So contrary to your previous statement, it isn't 100% predictable after all.

I have to agree with sns2 when he posted:

Quote:
Bergerboy gets the nod for most likely to make me laugh like crazy.
I really do have to laugh when you make posts like the ones on this thread.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So contrary to your previous statement, it isn't 100% predictable after all.
Glad you found that one gem that makes the sport somewhat worthy.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
The targets would have to pass through a setting hoop no matter the wind to be a legal target. So yes they are predicable if we are in fact shooting real skeet
Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
The targets would have to pass through a setting hoop no matter the wind to be a legal target. So yes they are predicable if we are in fact shooting real skeet
Good luck getting every target through the hoop when the wind is gusting. You might get one target through the hoop, and then the next one is three feet lower. Then the next target makes it through the hoop then two more pass under it. Some days you would be lucky to get half of the targets through the hoop. But we shoot on those days and we shoot at every target that comes out of the machines unbroken, and we consider it part of the challenge. I shot in the provincials one year when it was so windy and rainy that the high score in 12 gauge was 98, but the shoot was not called off.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good luck getting every target through the hoop when the wind is gusting. You might get one target through the hoop, and then the next one is three feet lower. Then the next target makes it through the hoop then two more pass under it. Some days you would be lucky to get half of the targets through the hoop. But we shoot on those days and we shoot at every target that comes out of the machines unbroken, and we consider it part of the challenge. I shot in the provincials one year when it was so windy and rainy that the high score in 12 gauge was 98, but the shoot was not called off.
Do you shoot slow pulls as well?

I would never ever fire at an illegal target during a shoot.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Do you shoot slow pulls as well?

I would never ever fire at an illegal target during a shoot.
When in a shoot I didn't shoot if the ref called no target.

But these days, I no longer compete, so my purpose in shooting skeet is to practice my shooting skills. If I wanted to shoot the highest possible scores, I would shoot only one gun, only 12 gauge, and only regular skeet, but the highest possible score isn't why I shoot these days. So I shoot only sub gauges, and almost always doubles, and I often shoot my field guns, because those are the guns that I will be hunting with. I get more satisfaction out of a clean round of doubles with the 28 gauge than I ever got out of running 50 or 75 targets at regular skeet with a 12 gauge.

And when I shoot sporting clays, I use a 20 gauge or a 28 gauge, and once again, I often shoot my field guns, as my purpose is to practice my shooting skills.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-17-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
When in a shoot I didn't shoot if the ref called no target.

But these days, I no longer compete, so my purpose in shooting skeet is to practice my shooting skills. If I wanted to shoot the highest possible scores, I would shoot only one gun, only 12 gauge, and only regular skeet, but the highest possible score isn't why I shoot these days. So I shoot only sub gauges, and almost always doubles, and I often shoot my field guns, because those are the guns that I will be hunting with. I get more satisfaction out of a clean round of doubles with the 28 gauge than I ever got out of running 50 or 75 targets at regular skeet with a 12 gauge.

And when I shoot sporting clays, I use a 20 gauge or a 28 gauge, and once again, I often shoot my field guns, as my purpose is to practice my shooting skills.
Funny of the people I see standing on top of picnic tables shooting skeet getting ready for bird season don't compete either.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Funny of the people I see standing on top of picnic tables shooting skeet getting ready for bird season don't compete either.
Probably because many of us are now in our 50s or older, and can't be bothered to travel all over to the various shoots anymore. That and we just don't feel that we have anything to prove at this point. We shoot because we enjoy shooting, and it helps to maintain our shooting skills for hunting.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Smile Assembling the gun incorrectly.

I won't mention the name, but one of our very distinguished AO members was heard to say "That didn't feel right" as he assembled his gun, now as a representative of the "cheap as long as it works school of ownership" that would never happen to me.

The dog made a very solid point and our hard working Nimrod climbed up the hill to shoot the bird. Bird flies away and no shot.

Proving to my satisfaction that it can happen to anyone
Old 09-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Probably because many of us are now in our 50s or older, and can't be bothered to travel all over to the various shoots anymore. That and we just don't feel that we have anything to prove at this point. We shoot because we enjoy shooting, and it helps to maintain our shooting skills for hunting.
You honestly believe that the majority of competitive shooters are below 50?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I won't mention the name, but one of our very distinguished AO members was heard to say "That didn't feel right" as he assembled his gun, now as a representative of the "cheap as long as it works school of ownership" that would never happen to me.

The dog made a very solid point and our hard working Nimrod climbed up the hill to shoot the bird. Bird flies away and no shot.

Proving to my satisfaction that it can happen to anyone
I will gladly own up to that incident. The gun was assembled correctly, but when it was closed at the point, a small piece of vegetarion was under the extractor , so it never fully locked up and would not fire. When you hunt with the action open, things can happen. On the other hand, how many times have you seen that gun fired at a bird that didn't die:?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
"anything to prove"

That's why people go to shoots ?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
You honestly believe that the majority of competitive shooters are below 50?
I didn't say that, what I did say was that as we get older, many of us no longer feel that we need to compete to prove ourselves. We also don't feel the need to shoot our limit just because we can. Other people never get to that point.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't say that, what I did say was that as we get older, many of us no longer feel that we need to compete to prove ourselves. We also don't feel the need to shoot our limit just because we can. Other people never get to that point.
I shoot and hunt but don't stand on picnic tables or hunt at spots that say park here.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Point of Aim

Just curious about how many shooters shotguns shoot point of aim?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
There all over the place the more I think. But a higher pattern is best for vision.

Last edited by gopher; 09-18-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
i shoot and hunt but don't stand on picnic tables or hunt at spots that say park here.
lol
Old 09-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
My o/u shoots 60% high and about 3" right at 40 yards.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
It's easy to miss with a shotgun because so many people insist on shooting at birds while they're flying. When they're on the ground or water they are much easier to hit, and you don't mess up the meat if you're careful and aim for the head.
I'm having a hard time telling whether this is a sarcastic post or not.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
I'm having a hard time telling whether this is a sarcastic post or not.
The safe bet would be sarcastic.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 PM

Last Sunday I killed 8 birds with 12 shots and two of those were used to finish crips on the water. Yesterday I shot 12 before I hit once. Wind was strong and it was a pass shoot with winds on the tail. Once I worked the lead out, the limit came fast. Different conditions can humble good shooters.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-18-2016, 09:02 PM

Smile A new Champion!

Elk, Janet, Butch and Rico (a GWP and a small Munsterlander ) were the winners of Wild Rose NAVHDA fun hunt, most birds with few est shots.

Elk and Butch are rookies, congratulations.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Elk, Janet, Butch and Rico (a GWP and a small Munsterlander ) were the winners of Wild Rose NAVHDA fun hunt, most birds with few est shots.

It was a fun event to attend, and Butch and Rico performed very well together finding ten birds in forty minutes. We would have had all ten, but one bird flushed low over the dogs offering no safe shot.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

Was there Adequate parking?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Was there Adequate parking?

There were no picnic tables for you to stand on.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
There were no picnic tables for you to stand on.
Oh wow I see what you did there?

Did the one that got away head back to the pen?