Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Bad Experience @ Sherwood Park Archery Lanes

I'd just like to share my discontent about my experience with Sherwood Park Archery Lanes on Saturday. I'm not going to name names because frankly I have no idea what the individuals' names are. I went in to buy some arrows and I wasn't looking to spend a crapload of money. I haven't shot in a league in about 12-13 years and I wanted to get back into the sport and so I bought a used Hoyt bow. The bow is roughly about 9 years old (made in 2000) so it's not extremely old but it's not brand new. Right when I walked into the store I was asked if I needed help by individual A, I said yes I was looking to buy arrows so I was directed to where I could select some arrows. I was helped by a certain individual that I will label as individual B. I explained to him my situation and that I haven't shot in a while and I was just getting back in the sport. I wanted arrows that were'nt going to break the bank and that weren't exactly junk. I told him that I would like a 26" arrow total length where I was interrupted and told in a negative tone to take out my bow and do it the proper way. Fair enough, I am always up for doing things the proper way. The gentleman was quite arrogant but I didn't think too much of it at this point. I put my old ratty bow case on the counter and opened it up. At that point he pulled my bow out and said "ohh" in a very obnoxious way. He, in a way, was mocking me. He then asked me how much I paid for the bow and I told him (160USD shipped to my door) He then shook his head and told me "You know for $300 more we could have set you up with a brand new bow. I just gave one of these away" He continued to mock and be extremely rude. I couldn't believe it. Is this the way they treat people coming back into or just entering the sport? I was absolutely furious with the way I was treated (I guess you had to be there to know how I felt). I was meeting my cousin to do a bit of shooting and I didn't exactly want to cause a scene so I figured I'd just buy my arrows and move on. After my arrows were cut, I was then handed off to individual A who was a little nicer ( I believe he was the manager). I think he realised I was being mistreated because his tone definitely changed after he could see the steam coming out of my ears. He then talked to me about my bow and some of the features it has.
I was in the store looking at some bows a few weeks before this incident and was helped by a younger fellow wearing a Hoyt shirt who was very friendly and informative. He didn't pressure me and helped me out alot by providing information on a variety of bows. Unfortunately this individual was not present on Saturday.
I realize I don't have brand new equipment but I don't think this is grounds for making a customer feel like absolute *****. This experience left a very bitter taste in my mouth and I will most likely be taking my business elsewhere where I don't get mocked or mistreated for the equipment I have. It's too bad because I really like Hoyt and they are one of the only Hoyt dealers in Edmonton that I know of.
BTW after sighting the bow in, it shot great groups and I was very satisfied. I still need lots of practice to get ready for the upcoming hunting season but I am super happy to be shooting a compound once again.

I am sure there are many of you who have had great experiences at this store but I just figured I would express my frustration in an attempt that maybe this will somehow get back to the shop so they can re-evaluate how they do business. I believe that customers should leave a store feeling good and confident but hey that's just me.
Thanks for reading.
Happy Shooting.

Last edited by Jeromeo; 03-15-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 PM

I can relate. Most archery shops seem to have the attitude that they know whats best and for good reason. They go to all the shows, speak to and serve many many customers each and every year. They are just trying to help, but unfortunately many times they misjudge the customers actuall knowledge, opinions and the time they put into researching products. It's unfortunate. They really could do a better job of that, but its probably becuase 8 out of 10 customers really need a lot of help.

Perhaps try discussing the situation with the actual individual ... just a thought. You might be surprised at the results. I would bet the results would be far more favorable than just venting on this site.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM

You are right bigracklover I should talk to the individual or the manager at least. Unfortunately I was just eager to shoot and didn't really want to talk about it then. Maybe next time I am down in Edmonton I'll have to have a face to face talk with the manager.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
You are right bigracklover I should talk to the individual or the manager at least. Unfortunately I was just eager to shoot and didn't really want to talk about it then. Maybe next time I am down in Edmonton I'll have to have a face to face talk with the manager.
Or maybe simply write the manager a letter explaining WHY you are going to go to a different shop.
FWIW, I would have told him to get his dickbeaters off my rig, that was good enough a few years back but not now, and shove his attitude !
I have a REAL problem with people than run my own equipment down, because I tend to use old stuff, that is , until they see it in action, then their attitude sometimes changes - my attitude towards them takes a bit longer to change and for the most part, I ignore them till my anger subsides.

Cat
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Or maybe simply write the manager a letter explaining WHY you are going to go to a different shop.
FWIW, I would have told him to get his dickbeaters off my rig, that was good enough a few years back but not now, and shove his attitude !
I have a REAL problem with people than run my own equipment down, because I tend to use old stuff, that is , until they see it in action, then their attitude sometimes changes - my attitude towards them takes a bit longer to change and for the most part, I ignore them till my anger subsides.

Cat
I dont care for "gear snobs" either jeromeo and cat. It seems some of the people I know who buy only the high end stuff and brag it up dont seem to use it very often or anymore effectivly than the rest.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I dont care for "gear snobs" either jeromeo and cat. It seems some of the people I know who buy only the high end stuff and brag it up dont seem to use it very often or anymore effectivly than the rest.
I hear ya, those that play the equipment race sometimes do it for the fun of owning all that stuff, but sometimes think that it's going to win the day for them - most often is doesn't, because they just don't practise enough.....
Cat
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Jeromeo,

Had a similar experience at SPA, held my tongue and walked out of the store. I'll never go back. Went back to Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove, where I bought my first bow in 2003, and have had nothing but awesome service from them. Even put a deposit on a bow and then had it refunded by them when I found something better online. No complaints at all from them. In fact, even though it's not normally their policy to do so, they told me they'd rather refund my deposit and have me come back to their store again than walk away mad and never return. I'd rather spend my money at a place like that than put up with arrogant young s**ts bad-mouthing my equipment and then trying to sell me their stuff at over-inflated prices.

Let me share another secret with you: www.archerytalk.com. Have a look at their Free Classifieds section. There's exponentially more "gear-chasers" in the States than there are in Canada all looking to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest. most would rather sell to fellow archers than take their stuff to eBay, where they could probably get more money for it. Even with the exchange rate you're still ahead of the game. This is not to say that you shouldn't buy local. Our archery shops need our business in order to survive and I'm all for sharing the wealth. But I'd rather pick up a $700 bow for $350 (for example) on www.archerytalk.com, and then have money left over for other gear that I can buy locally. Just my two cents. Good luck with the new bow and good hunting.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
x 3 . If its not broken why fix it . I don't know i'm not interested in always spending big bucks on the top of the line stuff every year . Like I say if its not broken why fix it , no sense . Its to bad , I believe you should talk to the fellow by the name of Dallas there Jeromeo , hes the fella who owns the shop , hes a great guy but his staff needs an attitude adjustment .
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelldrake View Post
Jeromeo,

Had a similar experience at SPA, held my tongue and walked out of the store. I'll never go back. Went back to Trophy Book Archery in Spruce Grove, where I bought my first bow in 2003, and have had nothing but awesome service from them. Even put a deposit on a bow and then had it refunded by them when I found something better online. No complaints at all from them. In fact, even though it's not normally their policy to do so, they told me they'd rather refund my deposit and have me come back to their store again than walk away mad and never return. I'd rather spend my money at a place like that than put up with arrogant young s**ts bad-mouthing my equipment and then trying to sell me their stuff at over-inflated prices.

Let me share another secret with you: www.archerytalk.com. Have a look at their Free Classifieds section. There's exponentially more "gear-chasers" in the States than there are in Canada all looking to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest. most would rather sell to fellow archers than take their stuff to eBay, where they could probably get more money for it. Even with the exchange rate you're still ahead of the game. This is not to say that you shouldn't buy local. Our archery shops need our business in order to survive and I'm all for sharing the wealth. But I'd rather pick up a $700 bow for $350 (for example) on www.archerytalk.com, and then have money left over for other gear that I can buy locally. Just my two cents. Good luck with the new bow and good hunting.
That's where I got my bow. I love that site. Even going to look at the bows up for sale is fun. They go for really good prices. It's where I'll get my next bow too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear I am not the only guy around here who likes customer service.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Question Spal

well i would like to way in i do a fair amount of bissnes ther and yes sometimes i think dallas and crew can come on strong but i do think they get take in the wrong context like the arragence thing i think dallas and crew are just very enthoseastic about what they do and can come acroos strong if you go in and tell him what happened i know he will fully appolagize be cuse he does not want to lose a good clientell and yes dallas and crew i think would like to see everyone shoot the best and new equipement out there and some times don realize there my be a cash flow issue or maybe you like older or vintage or are just very comfortable with your older bow but i have good luck there and i kinda figure they as spal are that exicited to do what they do and just can come acroos wrong sometimes like i said go back and talk to him about your experiance and i think they will make it right i wish you happy trails
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM

So let me see if I got this right:

1. You went in to buy some arrows. Right when you walked into the store you were asked if you needed help and were directed to where you could select some arrows.

2. You told him that you would like some 26" arrow total length and they wanted to measure you up to ensure you got the proper length arrows.

3. After they got you proper arows and cut them, you were handed off to individual A who talked to you about your bow and some of the features it has.

4. Then they got you sighted in and it shot great groups and you were very satisfied.

Sorry, but other than some ribbing (likely all in good fun that you may have taken too serious - maybe ??) it sounds like dam good service to me.

Last edited by depopulator; 03-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

If by enthusiasim you mean borderline obnoxious then I would agree with you. I havnt been in there for a couple of years but they were always like that to me when I went there, I bought my bow from them and they still treated me like that. There was a few ocasions where I was left dumbfounded at how they got away with treating people like they do but one sticks out pretty clearly.

The last time I was there I told them that I wanted the soft rubber grip removed from my bow because it would stick to my hand and I could see the bow jump funny when I released sometimes, man did they let fly with the attitude, I was obviously a moron for even concidering that to be a problem. One of the other customers had the same bow and said that he had put a hardwood grip on his because he had the same problem, at this point we were both morons. I think it was on that same ocasion my wife got some attitude as well about the old browning she was shooting. Like jeromeo said, you would have had to have been there to understand how infuriating those guys can be.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote "Sorry, but other than some ribbing (likely all in good fun that you may have taken too serious - maybe ??) it sounds like dam good service to me.

Why should a customer have to be " Ribbed " ? If i'm gonna spend up to 2000 bucks a year at there store i would like to be treated respectfully and profesionaly. Sounds like to me some of them are just acting like snobs. Or kind of child like.JMO. These days no one has cash flow with the hard times going on like they are. You would think working on any bow or making any sale would be golden? Oh well ribs on them if you spend you cash somewhere else. JMO.

Last edited by jaybull; 03-16-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I can't spell so what!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Why should a customer have to be " Ribbed " ?
I dunno. I just think a lot of people need to lighten up. Stuff that Jeromeo is complaining about wouldn't even phase me, but then I don't take things too seriously or personally. Too bad really, as the crew (staff and visitors) over at SPAL are good folk with a wealth of information that is freely shared among new and veteran archers, 3D shooters and bowhunters alike. I wish more stores were as accommodating as them, but I sure haven't found one....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If by enthusiasim you mean borderline obnoxious then I would agree with you. I havnt been in there for a couple of years..
Cal, SPAL had new owners as of August 2008, so likely entirely different folk that you dealt with 2 years ago.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM

I don't know guys, service is not what it used to be. I can't the top end stuff either but it irritates me when you walk into a shop and because you did not buy the bow there you are treated as a third class citizen. I have gone to both SPAL and Trophy Book and you r right to some degree on all counts. Went to trophy book and some of their staff look down on yo if your not shooting Matthews and at SPAL they did it because I did not buy it from them. You know how much money I have spent in both shops on accessories lots... But either Dallas at SPAL or Rob at Trophy book are overall decent guys, the rest is a roll of the dice.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
I dunno. I just think a lot of people need to lighten up. Stuff that Jeromeo is complaining about wouldn't even phase me, but then I don't take things too seriously or personally. Too bad really, as the crew (staff and visitors) over at SPAL are good folk with a wealth of information that is freely shared among new and veteran archers, 3D shooters and bowhunters alike. I wish more stores were as accommodating as them, but I sure haven't found one....
Like I said. You had to be there. It was in the way I was asked wasn't the most friendly way. Being mocked in any way is not what I go to a store for. I find better customer service in Fort McMurray retail stores. It's ok, I've been treated better at both wholesale outfitters and trophy book archery. I know where I will be taking my business next time.

BTW thanks Jaybull I couldn't have said it better myself.

Forgot to mention that when I was looking at the cases, I told them I wanted a black case. He had to go in the back of the store to grab one. He told me "I'll go an check but if it's not built then I am not going to get it because I am not going to put any more cases together"
He could have simply not said that. He, in so many words, told me that I am not worth it. My business simply doesn't mean enough to him.

Last edited by Jeromeo; 03-16-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM

dickbeaters?? that is classic!! i will be using that in the near future.
jeromeo,
i finally gave up on trophy book and SPAL, just for little stuff like that. if you make it south, Calgary's archery centre and Jimbow's are both worth checking out. I do all of my own stuff now (buy from Archerytalk.com) but it wasn't cheap or easy to learn and a new guy is hooped.
I don't get where these guys get attitude. they are shooting bows, not racing nascar or riding bulls. truth is, they are in a service business and if they don't serve well, their business will show that.
i wouldn't call them, i would go in, ask for the manager and tell him your concerns. If he wants to make things right you are in the bonus round, if not tell him to go pound salt and take your business elsewhere.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

I do apologize that you left SPAL with a bad experience. We are trying to do our best and sometimes are at fault; however if you felt that way then you should have addressed your concern at that moment and we would have done what we could to make it right.
We are working very hard to meet our customers needs and will take this complaint very seriously and address it internally.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
I'd just like to share my discontent about my experience with Sherwood Park Archery Lanes on Saturday. I'm not going to name names because frankly I have no idea what the individuals' names are. I went in to buy some arrows and I wasn't looking to spend a crapload of money. I haven't shot in a league in about 12-13 years and I wanted to get back into the sport and so I bought a used Hoyt bow. The bow is roughly about 9 years old (made in 2000) so it's not extremely old but it's not brand new. Right when I walked into the store I was asked if I needed help by individual A, I said yes I was looking to buy arrows so I was directed to where I could select some arrows. I was helped by a certain individual that I will label as individual B. I explained to him my situation and that I haven't shot in a while and I was just getting back in the sport. I wanted arrows that were'nt going to break the bank and that weren't exactly junk. I told him that I would like a 26" arrow total length where I was interrupted and told in a negative tone to take out my bow and do it the proper way. Fair enough, I am always up for doing things the proper way. The gentleman was quite arrogant but I didn't think too much of it at this point. I put my old ratty bow case on the counter and opened it up. At that point he pulled my bow out and said "ohh" in a very obnoxious way. He, in a way, was mocking me. He then asked me how much I paid for the bow and I told him (160USD shipped to my door) He then shook his head and told me "You know for $300 more we could have set you up with a brand new bow. I just gave one of these away" He continued to mock and be extremely rude. I couldn't believe it. Is this the way they treat people coming back into or just entering the sport? I was absolutely furious with the way I was treated (I guess you had to be there to know how I felt). I was meeting my cousin to do a bit of shooting and I didn't exactly want to cause a scene so I figured I'd just buy my arrows and move on. After my arrows were cut, I was then handed off to individual A who was a little nicer ( I believe he was the manager). I think he realised I was being mistreated because his tone definitely changed after he could see the steam coming out of my ears. He then talked to me about my bow and some of the features it has.
I was in the store looking at some bows a few weeks before this incident and was helped by a younger fellow wearing a Hoyt shirt who was very friendly and informative. He didn't pressure me and helped me out alot by providing information on a variety of bows. Unfortunately this individual was not present on Saturday.
I realize I don't have brand new equipment but I don't think this is grounds for making a customer feel like absolute *****. This experience left a very bitter taste in my mouth and I will most likely be taking my business elsewhere where I don't get mocked or mistreated for the equipment I have. It's too bad because I really like Hoyt and they are one of the only Hoyt dealers in Edmonton that I know of.
BTW after sighting the bow in, it shot great groups and I was very satisfied. I still need lots of practice to get ready for the upcoming hunting season but I am super happy to be shooting a compound once again.

I am sure there are many of you who have had great experiences at this store but I just figured I would express my frustration in an attempt that maybe this will somehow get back to the shop so they can re-evaluate how they do business. I believe that customers should leave a store feeling good and confident but hey that's just me.
Thanks for reading.
Happy Shooting.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Jeromeo I also would encourage you to speak with either Doug or Dallas at SPAL. My son and I shoot there a lot and both Doug and Dallas are aware that they don't always get it right (after all we all make mistakes), but I know both of them are very committed to providing quality customer service, and would rather hear directly from you about your concerns.

Go talk to them - I know they'd appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM

I agree with depopulator. Seemed like very good service to me.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:28 PM

My Nephew spent 2300.00 last week new bow and all new acc said people at spl were awsome. I have been going there for quite a few years. Have had good service with both Joe old owner and Dallas new owner,will keep on going there.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
My Nephew spent 2300.00 last week new bow and all new acc said people at spl were awsome. I have been going there for quite a few years. Have had good service with both Joe old owner and Dallas new owner,will keep on going there.
If I were walking in anywhere with $2300 to spend on either hunting or fishing gear, I damn well better be getting GREAT customer service or they wouldn't be getting my business. Anybody can sell when times are good, its the places that go the extra mile that stay busy when times are tough.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Spal

I'm with Depop and JohninAb, never had bad service and frankly if I'm going into a shop for a few hours to hang out I would like the jokes and stories and BS to flow freely. If I need my back & feet rubbed I'll stay home; that's why I got a wife. If I want to hang out with the stiffs it will be at the morgue when I'm dead.

Lighten up people enjoy your hobby or sport, and frankly who gives a crap if your shooting a willow branch with string, if it works for you. Use it.

I would bet if I came to your job unannounced, I'd eventually catch you having a bad day. We're human.

Keep it up SPAL, your sales show you're doing a good job.

p.s. How do I book a hug from Doug @ SPAL, I heard they are given with a smile.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM

LMFAO....he didn't go there to bullsht he went there to buy arrows and shoot his bow...regardless of what he shoots they should not have judged him about anything with anykind of underlying tones...

Come on guys...there JOB is CUSTOMER service....that sounds like a poor review was well deserved.

If you talk to the owners and resolve this maybe you wont need to take your business elsewhere...any bowshop now needs to do 110% we are in a resession to sell bows you need to have a decent price but above all great service and a great atmosphere...

I hope jeromeo that you can get proficient with your hoyt and kick some arse at the shoots and out shoot the "Gear Snobs"

Good Luck
CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks Phil. I plan to get really good... As good as I can be. I am researching like crazy on bow tuning and so far my groups are getting quite a bit tighter. I hope to one day make it out to a shoot. See you there!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Alberta Doe

I REALLY wish that people would just quit using this forum or any other ones to mouth off a certain business. I work at Wholesale Sports in the Archery Department and we have had our fair amount of bashing on this forum as well. Come on you guys...you were born with balls...use them! Take it up with the store itself and quit looking for sympathy on here. Lets face it...when a thread is put on hear such as this one, the motive is usually because the person writing it is ****ed off and wants everyone to know it and is hoping that other people will not support that particular business. How can any of us Archery stores help you on this site????
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 AM

I for one am glad Jeromeo came on here and told his story. Alberta Doe, weren't you on here only a few months ago with complaints about the same company? Seems a little unfair to call Jeromeo out for doing the same thing. If a fellow hunter has had a bad experience at a local business, whether its WSS or any other one, then I want to hear about it. I can make my own mind up on how I decide to use that information. Most times it probably won't keep me from going to a store but it will put up a red flag.

Those of you saying you don't see anything wrong and that it sounds like good service - did you read the story? It's unacceptable to try to make a customer feel bad about using old equipment. Do they honestly think they can shoot that much better with a 2009 bow than a well-tuned bow from 2000? Like Cat said, the equipment race is a joke, it's 95% about ego.

In SPAs defense, both times I've seen complaints on here about them, someone from the store has come on here and responded in a respectful manner. I think that speaks volumes about the type of company they are trying to be.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM

I appreciate people posting service review's on site's like AO. Post's regarding service at different shops whether it be good, bad or indifferent. Look at all the threads on service and they're not all negative, many times there's threads pimping different archery shops for the good experience people have had (I've had great experiences at shops like Jim Bow's and Git-R-Done Archery). I think that's a great resource for new and old hunters and one that I've used myself to find somewhere good to spend my hard earned $.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
I appreciate people posting service review's on site's like AO. Post's regarding service at different shops whether it be good, bad or indifferent. Look at all the threads on service and they're not all negative, many times there's threads pimping different archery shops for the good experience people have had (I've had great experiences at shops like Jim Bow's and Git-R-Done Archery). I think that's a great resource for new and old hunters and one that I've used myself to find somewhere good to spend my hard earned $.
I posted earlier on what Ii would have said to anybody talking down my gear, but I feel I must post this also.

FWIW, I have always had great service from SPA ( been dealing off and on for 0ver 20 years), whenever I phoned them, the last time asking about a cheap recurve that I could get for my son to practise with.
They had one there, and shipped it in quick order.
Cat