Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Yes I get that, on the other thread it was stated the law says it cant be wasted.
Your representative on the radio says we utilize every thing we catch, don't like animals being wasted.
Im just asking if its legal to throw it away not just the carcass the whole thing.
Of course we try and utilize every fur we catch, just like hunters try and utilize every ungulate we shoot. But when animals are diseased there is not much we can do.
You wouldn't eat a rotten or infected moose would you ?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:30 PM

If anything we are doing a mangy animal a favour by saving it from its pain and suffering in -40 weather
Old 03-13-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Of course we try and utilize every fur we catch, just like hunters try and utilize every ungulate we shoot. But when animals are diseased there is not much we can do.
You wouldn't eat a rotten or infected moose would you ?
Not knowingly but have cut infected areas off animals and the rest of the meat was fine.

Every one keeps avoiding the main 2 questions asked. Weird

As you probably no cats can carry stuff as well, I was never use to take to much precaution when skinning wolves or cats before this was brought to my attention about 9 years ago ( goggle biologist dies in 2007)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
If anything we are doing a mangy animal a favour by saving it from its pain and suffering in -40 weather
Or possible if left in the pack it may have infected them all and possible took out the whole pack, but yes would be a ****ty way to die.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Not knowingly but have cut infected areas off animals and the rest of the meat was fine.

As you probably no cats can carry stuff as well, I was never use to take to much precaution when skinning wolves or cats before this was brought to my attention about 9 years ago ( goggle biologist dies in 2007)
I thought I had answered your two questions already , unless you were referring to your question earlier on about what trappers were doing to stop bycatches?
Only an fool would think that a trapper can stop certain animals from getting snared.
There is nothing perfect and regular in the wilderness- the videos of deer eating rabbits and birds us proof of that .
Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Ok so 1: change the law/regs so trappers can keep them, don't try and improve methods or prevent the catching of non-target animals.
2: I never did use the word professional. Pay trappers a bounty to get them to trap on there lines. Would hunters also be allowed a bounty since they don't own lines or is this what you mean by resident.
resident trappers and registered Trappers .
One traps a registered line and the other traps on land privately owned.
I thought you took a trapping course , you should know this.

You seem to be set on throwing derogatory remarks into your answers .
I will spell it out for you seeing how you cannot see the obvious enough .
THERE IS NO was WAY to stop an animal -ANY annual man nor beast from getting caught in a trap!!

Is this to obscure a concept for you??
Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Or possible if left in the pack it may have infected them all and possible took out the whole pack, but yes would be a ****ty way to die.
This goes against what drives a true trapper, we believe in maintaining a heathy harvest of all predators, thus preventing Mother Nature from taking over with starvation and desease to bring down the population to sustainable numbers.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:

What main question sage ?

Is it illegal to dispose of mangy animals that have no fur value when caught ? No it's not illegal. F&W patrol this forum all the time. Nube has openly said he's left them in the bush, I've left half eaten Lynx out there, had a marten eaten by another one that stayed out there as well. If there is no fur value WTF are we going to do with them ?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Here's an couple easy questions for YOU. Do you support the Wolfmatters mandate? Are you a contributor to the Wolfmatters movement?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 PM

Wierd, Sage won't answer a couple questions!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
This goes against what drives a true trapper, we believe in maintaining a heathy harvest of all predators, thus preventing Mother Nature from taking over with starvation and desease to bring down the population to sustainable numbers.
Well it looks like mother nature is winning then if 7 or 8 of the 10 depending on who your listening 2 had mange.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
resident trappers and registered Trappers .
One traps a registered line and the other traps on land privately owned.
I thought you took a trapping course , you should know this.

You seem to be set on throwing derogatory remarks into your answers .
I will spell it out for you seeing how you cannot see the obvious enough .
THERE IS NO was WAY to stop an animal -ANY annual man nor beast from getting caught in a trap!!

Is this to obscure a concept for you??
Cat
Good to know, since certain animals are on quota or different seasons and you say no way of stopping them from getting trapped maybe there should be other changes implemented.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Have you had to use your new cutters yet?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=199749
Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Sage

Come on Sage, were still waiting for two answers.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What main question sage ?

Is it illegal to dispose of mangy animals that have no fur value when caught ? No it's not illegal. F&W patrol this forum all the time. Nube has openly said he's left them in the bush, I've left half eaten Lynx out there, had a marten eaten by another one that stayed out there as well. If there is no fur value WTF are we going to do with them ?
Thanks TD appreciate someone finally answering that one. I guess H380 was wrong on the other thread, to bad he wasted his money.

The other question was is there any methods being used to help reduce the catch of non target animals (mainly cougar)
Others have already said change the law to let the trappers keep them but are trappers ding any thing to help prevent this and if so what.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Here's an couple easy questions for YOU. Do you support the Wolfmatters mandate? Are you a contributor to the Wolfmatters movement?
1 don't no what it is
2 no
Old 03-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks TD appreciate someone finally answering that one. I guess H380 was wrong on the other thread, to bad he wasted his money.

The other question was is there any methods being used to help reduce the catch of non target animals (mainly cougar)
Others have already said change the law to let the trappers keep them but are trappers ding any thing to help prevent this and if so what.
It's been answered already. There isn't much you can do to stop incidental catches from wolf snares.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Good to know, since certain animals are on quota or different seasons and you say no way of stopping them from getting trapped maybe there should be other changes implemented.
Do you have a set of ideas for these changes?
How would you stop a animal from going into a trap not intended for it?
I see no way of preventing it.
Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

I already told you one..TRAPPER EDUCATION. For instance height the trapper sets the snares. Next location. Snares should NOT be set in close proximity to the bait.

You've said in response to my post you didn't want to take "another" trappers course so does that mean you actually took one? If you did you wouldn't be asking at least half of your questions or you didn't retain the course content.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Whoa there big gunner , dont go saying I was wrong on the other thread . I tried my best to salvage that wolf hide . I knew I could throw it away but chose not to .What would you have done ? I know of trappers that have pulled snares where they knew a cat was coming in , and waited for him to move out . What is your answer to such a problem ?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I already told you one..TRAPPER EDUCATION. For instance height the trapper sets the snares. Next location. Snares should NOT be set in close proximity to the bait.

You've said in response to my post you didn't want to take "another" trappers course so does that mean you actually took one? If you did you wouldn't be asking at least half of your questions or you didn't retain the course content.
See now your starting to put out a few methods. Ive suggested a few as well but seems the ones that may take more work arnt liked much.
Education on animals habits etc would help as well.

As for the course it was in 81 I believe and don't remember any real talk on wolves and only real snaring stuff showing was for pole sets.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Whoa there big gunner , dont go saying I was wrong on the other thread . I tried my best to salvage that wolf hide . I knew I could throw it away but chose not to .What would you have done ? I know of trappers that have pulled snares where they knew a cat was coming in , and waited for him to move out . What is your answer to such a problem ?
You said you were a law abiding citizen and had it tanned any way for the law said it couldn't be wasted. Then the hair fell out and you were out $150 but could sleep better (something to that effect)
What did that all mean.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
See now your starting to put out a few methods. Ive suggested a few as well but seems the ones that may take more work arnt liked much.

As for the course it was in 81 I believe and don't remember any real talk on wolves and only real snaring stuff showing was for pole sets.

Well that clinches it for me. This latte inhaler has been on here all day and night playing games. I'm not going to be any more of a source for it's personal entertainment. Shut her down boys and let him report back to Wolfmatters and LUSH Cosmetics.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:

All these things are already covered in the compulsory trapping course.
Snaring advances, systems, and other education are also covered at the various trapper's rendevous and other togethers

Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well that clinches it for me. This latte inhaler has been on here all day and night playing games. I'm not going to be any more of a source for it's personal entertainment. Shut her down boys and let him report back to Wolfmatters and LUSH Cosmetics.
I fully agree and has his angle figured a long time ago. Will also say Martinnordeg thanks for some of the info you have posted. It seems you are well versed in a lot of this BS lately and appreciate it if you are involved.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I fully agree and has his angle figured a long time ago. Will also say Martinnordeg thanks for some of the info you have posted. It seems you are well versed in a lot of this BS lately and appreciate it if you are involved.
Yeah, pretty much done here myself.
Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I have been busy the last little while and have been following all the anti snaring threads. I think you nailed it here. Is it just me or isn't it a coincidence that the dog caught in snare thread just magically appeared around the same time.?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 PM

I believe sage13 is a cougar hunter/houndsmen or is affiliated with someone who does. Look through previous posts and you'll see what I'm saying.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 PM

Wondering how registered trappers would receive someone baiting wolves on their line ?
Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Wondering how registered trappers would receive someone baiting wolves on their line ?
I've had it happen in the past Yaha, not a big deal. The thing with residents baiting wolves is they almost always underestimate the amount of work it takes to actually be successful. When they get tired of all the work they usually move on. After they do I just set up snares on the bait, cut out some leg work for me.
If it was an outfitter they may stick with it a little longer, but in the end it would just pattern the wolves for me.
Now I would never set up snares on an active bait somebody was pouring their time and money into, but once they give up as far as I'm concerned it's fair game.