Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 AM

Default I want to build a new cabin

Hey guys I want to build a new cabin and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for the cheapest way to build it. I was thinking a basic extra large shed basically with 2x6 walls for extra insulation. Maybe a 16x20 in size. Where is the best place for a building package of this sort?
If you have any other ideas let me know as well. I want to build a new cabin on the northern part of my line so I can alternate trapping areas year after year type thing
Old 01-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hey guys I want to build a new cabin and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for the cheapest way to build it. I was thinking a basic extra large shed basically with 2x6 walls for extra insulation. Maybe a 16x20 in size. Where is the best place for a building package of this sort?
If you have any other ideas let me know as well. I want to build a new cabin on the northern part of my line so I can alternate trapping areas year after year type thing
You can get a garage package from Rona or Home Hardware. Get siding, shingles, windows the whole deal for 4-6K. My buddy did it for a cabin a few years ago. They credited him the value of the garage door and he just added interior walls himself.
Personally I would go at least 20 by 20 if you're going to be taking the family or friends with you. Not much more cost wise but the extra room really comes in handy.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:56 PM

What size are you allowed to have?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Cabin Idea

A good idea for a maintenance (and porcupine free cabin) would be to build your 2x6 walls, cut in and install a metal T-brace (for lateral strength) instead of sheathing. After this just strap the exterior with 1x4s and install metal siding. It is durable and animal proof and would be easier to transport the materials as you would need less sheathing for the exterior walls.

A simple stick framed gable roof would be the cheapest, tin is another good option for this.

How difficult is the access to the build site? That would factor into decided what to build. The package idea isn't bad either. I suspect those would come with trusses which would be difficult to transport into a remote area.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Good idea thanks. This is what I need is some ideas guys. I plan on finding a spot that I can drive up to with a truck
Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
What size are you allowed to have?
I've been trying to get a straight answer from SRD about this but have not been successful yet. I've been told 440 square feet (20 by 22) but I was also told by a F&W associate that I could build it as big as I want. That is until somebody complains and SRD investigates it.

I would stick to the 440 square feet and I'd think you would be safe.

Personally I would advise against building a cabin you could drive to. It makes it way too easy for people to find and do what dishonest people do. A 4-5 km ride off a road in that country will eliminate 99% of the people from ever finding your cabin. Just my 2 cents but I would never build where it could be driven to.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM

You could do something like this one tucked back in the trees

Or like this one on a little lake

Just a couple ideas for you bud
Old 01-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Default Cabin

A good trappers cabin is completely sheathed in metal siding and you might as well do the roof in it too. Get some metal shutters made of sheet metal with hidden hinges and damn good locks. That'll keep out the honest people and stop the critters from chewing their way in. Put a wood burning heater in it and try to find an old propane stove with an oven to cook on if you want to get fancy. Put a 50 or 100 gallon food safe spray tank up in the rafters and when you get to the cabin use a pump to fill it with water. Have it plummed to your sink and you'll have running water, the heat from your wood stove will rise up and preheat the water so it'll be Luke warm. Have an overhanging roof over your door and deck it in so you've got a place to sit and to put the bbq, also good for storage out of the rain and snow and a passable place to fix quads etc.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:11 PM

The alberta trappers association has a copy of the trap cabin policy. Main cabin max 650sq ft one shed 144 sq ft line shacks 256 sq ft . Min distance between cabins 6 miles. Srd says this is the law but I know it was not in the alberta lands act the last I looked. They will give you Greef but not enforceable the way I understand the law. If you call for fun ask them wher you can find it in the alberta lands act, just for fun.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Default Container

Modify a container .
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
Modify a container .
Or 2.....if you search the internet it's amazing what some people have done with these things.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Banned

It's nice to hear your building a new cabin, and I'm sure you'll build one that is comfy and also practical. I just hope you don't run into miles of red tape before you finally finish it.
eg......All new homes (inc.cabins) that will have people sleeping in them, have to have a new home warranty, and pass inspections if they are over 215 sq. ft. My brother ran into this in B.C., but wouldn't surprise me if there are similar regs. here. Hope it doesen't apply to you out in the bush, but we are talking about the govt.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 PM

Well I guess we'll just have to call them cabins "skinning shacks" from now on...

I wish the gov luck enforcing that in the woods, should they ever get that idea.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM

Default Cabin

We have partialy completed our get a way cabin out by peers,yes alot of red tape.yellow head county,same deal,cost us $750 for new home warranty.who do they think i would go after if something goes wrong, myself?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM

What about a C-can and convert it to sleeping quarters.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 AM

the problem with insulated 2 by 6 walls, besides the added expense. is that by the time you get cooking,some type of lights and a heating stove, body heat. you end up cooking yourself out of a smaller structure.

2 by 4's are plenty good enough. a simple birds mouth rafter design is the cheapest/effective/less material for smaller structures. and allows for storage above the ceiling.

a pic of one i built a few years ago, from salvaged lumber,windows. cost less that 500$.

another one built from new material. cost about 1100$. with a truss design(wouldn't do that again). birds mouth is the way to go.cheaper.

i like small cabins as there easier to heat,maintain.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Hunting cabin

My bro was going to have a fairly large log cabin built on his property, but after getting snarled up in red tape he got so P'OD that he built this little hunting shack. 13.25'x16'...212 sq. ft. (just under the 215 sq.ft. rule). Kitchen, sm bathroom, sitting area, bunk bed on lower level and 2 singles in loft. Did not require a single permit. He plans to build a few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clearwater cabin1.jpg (34.3 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg clear water cabin2.jpg (37.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg clearwater cabin3.jpg (17.6 KB, 252 views)
Old 01-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Default trapper cabin

Nube, building a cabin on line getting to be very complicated in Alberta.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 01-18-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Default cabin

Guys , their is a cabin directive 94 for trappers cabin. The main cabin can be max 24x24. Line cabin max 16x16ft. Nube get a copy from F&W. Also forestry handles cabins on traplines. It is getting very complicated now, talking about requiring engineer survey,detailed site plans etc etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:49 AM

When new cabins are required or extensive renovations to existing cabins are necessary, the Senior License Holder must contact the District Forest Service Office for approval.

Get a Yurt for your secondary cabin. You can move it around as needed. Probably no permits ot approvals required.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Nube What I would do, is renovate your existing cabin, the kind of renovation you do is up to you, new walls, new roof etc
Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 PM

I am looking for the same. I got some land on the border of the provincial forest and wanted a little place for me and the kids. I found a guy just north of Lloydminster that will build custom "sheds". Really well built and durable. Insulated, sided and shingled. He can deliver anywhere you want up to 12feet wide and 24feet long. PM me if you want details.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys , their is a cabin directive 94 for trappers cabin. The main cabin can be max 24x24. Line cabin max 16x16ft. Nube get a copy from F&W. Also forestry handles cabins on traplines. It is getting very complicated now, talking about requiring engineer survey,detailed site plans etc etc.
When I asked they threw that up at me and I asked where in the lands act that is . There response was its in the works . I said give me a copy of the proposal. He could nt . He Got real nervous and he didn't know what to say.all proposed legislation is public info but why can't they provide it to us .
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Default cabin

Nube, the cheapest and best trappers cabin is built from logs. Your only cost is metal for roof and some plywood for the floor along with a few 2x4,s for stripping. Use some of the Queens logs before ANC logs them all on your trapline.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I just built a cabin on our new line last year; 576 sq/ft max for your main cabin, 144 sq/ft max for outbuildings (as many as you need to sustain your operation), additional line cabins may not be bigger than 256 sq/ft and must be approved on an individual application to SRD (provide a plan to them explaining the need for additional cabins).
Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
I just built a cabin on our new line last year; 576 sq/ft max for your main cabin, 144 sq/ft max for outbuildings (as many as you need to sustain your operation), additional line cabins may not be bigger than 256 sq/ft and must be approved on an individual application to SRD (provide a plan to them explaining the need for additional cabins).
Did you notify F&W about building your new main cabin ? What about forestry ? Did anybody have any issue with it ???
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Or 2.....if you search the internet it's amazing what some people have done with these things.
thats absolutely what i'd do. everything is secure when you leave and pretty much bomb/bear proof while you're gone.

but they'll drop it off as far in as the truck can drive. would you then have to pay a cat to drag it a couple of km's?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Default cabin

Guys, a C-can would make a excellent skinning shed but not near as nice as a log cabin, also metal box kind of cold compared to log building. C-can would be good place to store valuables such as generators traps etc when you are away from line. Though part is getting it to remote building site.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Did you notify F&W about building your new main cabin ? What about forestry ? Did anybody have any issue with it ???
It was all through Forestry (Same person who approves lumber & oil companies projects). I filled out an application with my plan (including out buildings), they approve the project with a proposed completion date. After the completion date they come inspect to verify the plan was not deviated from; at that time if all is well they issue you a permit.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Some other small notables when planning to build;
-your structure must now be 330 feet from any water source.
- No permanent landscaping eg. side walks or flower beds.
- Minimal vegetation disturbance.