Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 AM

Default Another day on the river

Well we hit Fish Creek today. My partner in crime hooked into 5 nice fish but could not seal the deal. Either through acrobatics or long runs they all spit the hook. I did manage a nice Brown and a dirty White. I hate them things...

I have been eyeballing a spot on the Bow for some time now every time I cross the Stoney bridge by Bowness Park, I always say I am going to try it out but never get there. Well today was the day. I am not sure if I am the only one but I have not really heard of anyone talking about it before. So as most of you know unless you have provided me with a spot and asked me not to spread the word. I have a tendency to share locations.

Attached is a map of the points on the Bow I am speaking of in Bowness park. There is 8 in total. The water on the points is fast with defined seams all the way down. Great for Nymphing. But the water between the points is clear, deep and calm. So calm in fact I started to toss out a bugger as if I was lake fishing. Would be great for a dry also. It was here I finally seen my first Bow River Pike. I had one fallow in my olive leech. Buddy hooked a Brown and I lost one. But there was a few risers and it definitely hold fish in there.

Bowness Park is still closed due to the flooding. However... With a little searching today we found a way in that did not cross any barriers. You will see I have marked a spot for parking and a trail that leads down to the park.

Have I been in a box or is this not a popular spot? Keep me posted if you guys try this spot out. I would like to know if its productive.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kAQbsncroMvE

Since I don't have a bunch of photos to show you of nice fat fish. I will share my dragon friend from today. I will be on Lake Sundance tomorrow so hopefully I get some nice pics. I know I will be having me a big bowl of perch tomorrow night..... MMMMM Perch....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 AM

Sounds like you had fun, perhaps you could access is via Baker Park? I hope to try it out soon....
Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Those spots are good right now for one reason only. Bowness park is still closed!
Everyone and there dog use those current breaks. Also used by a kayak school for training. Nice to hear that you actually caught something there. I used to fish through Bowness park when I was younger. Couple of whitefish and two big rainbows all from just upstream of the park.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Smile

Had an Awesome time!! Looks like I need to work on my landing skills. Here's a pic of the 1 fish I did manage to land on a san juan worm. He was long, but very skinny.

Last edited by abff; 08-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.