Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Default Kananaskis lakes

Hi
Just wanted to know how upper and lower lakes are fishing at the moment. Thinking of giving it a go maybe next weekend.
Any info about what and where to fish, would be brilliant.
Many thanks
Gibbo
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Its fishing great from shore and boat from shore walk thesouth bank from the boat luanch to the falls creek inlet... Great action there from boat troll rapellas or large silver spinners, i cought about 15 rainbows on sunday just trolling raps, all way over legal size but i catch and release if your fishing from boat troll 20 to 50 feet off the shorelines
Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpenny View Post
Its fishing great from shore and boat from shore walk thesouth bank from the boat luanch to the falls creek inlet... Great action there from boat troll rapellas or large silver spinners, i cought about 15 rainbows on sunday just trolling raps, all way over legal size but i catch and release if your fishing from boat troll 20 to 50 feet off the shorelines
You mean cutthroat? Not many rainbows in either lake left.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
You mean cutthroat? Not many rainbows in either lake left.
Actualy rainbows and cuttys but i turn over more rainbows up there on boat and on the lower i turn over more bulls. I find the upper lakes numbers are amazing compaired to the lower lake. But i do not fish from shore there anymore, i find trolling works far better

There is tons of fish in the upper and alot of food in them waters sometimes i dont even fish just park the boat on a calm day roll one up and am surrounded by jumping fish lol then after a couple hours of peace well back to the city

Last edited by Jcpenny; 08-14-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpenny View Post
I would agree with Bhflyfisher. Your probably mistaking the cutthroat as rainbows. Ill be honest the first time I fished there I made the same mistake. 95% of them dont look like a typical stream cutthroat until you turn them over and see the red throat. There color is so different on the upper lake. I have my fair share of time on that lake and yet to catch one rainbow on the upper lake. Il be out there this weekend catching under sized fish as I have yet to see one come out at legal limit.

What is the limit size you use?
I know you said you catch and release.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 PM

There are still some rainbows left in the upper lake, but mostly its cutts now
Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 AM

I caught a rainbow on the upper this year but it was first I have caught in the last 5 years.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
I would agree with Bhflyfisher. Your probably mistaking the cutthroat as rainbows. Ill be honest the first time I fished there I made the same mistake. 95% of them dont look like a typical stream cutthroat until you turn them over and see the red throat. There color is so different on the upper lake. I have my fair share of time on that lake and yet to catch one rainbow on the upper lake. Il be out there this weekend catching under sized fish as I have yet to see one come out at legal limit.

What is the limit size you use?
I know you said you catch and release.
Over 50 cm easy most of the time, but i dont fly fish here much anymore, now when i head up i only use raps.. always #5 browns and rainbow patterns and we just hammer em, agula spinners work great also but some days can be hit or miss, i find these waters love it when you troll a lil faster then normal its been a while since ive cought any footlongs in these waters

Also i find once you enter the second bay stay to the south and run that whole edge pass the bends and pass that wierd rocky hill every pass you or someone on the boat will have one you could walk in also its about a kilometre the water seems to calm down there and you will see alot of bigger splashs, i find anywhere near the boat launch the smaller ones rise

Last edited by Jcpenny; 08-15-2014 at 11:36 AM.