Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Default I got my shirt!

I found a sweet shirt. It was a bit pricey but they threw in a bow so I figured what the heck! I forgot to ask Lawrence to get a picture of it so I had to snap a shot in the mirror (hence the inverted writing).

Not quite as fast as I hoped but it'll spit out a 450gr arrow @ 292+ fps, sure is a smooth draw and dead at the shot tho!

I'd like to say thanks to Lawrence and a hello to Gazoo and Zulu who were both there when I picked up my new shirt. Great meeting you guys, I'm sure we'll meet up there again.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM

"But first let me take a selfie!"

Good stuff!

LC
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
"But first let me take a selfie!"

Good stuff!

LC
Hey...... I like that song!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM

lol I have to learn to read I though it said got my skirt figured you got a kilt
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM

Pretty awesome rig right there!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Sweet looking bow

And shirt.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Couple more pics

And nope, no skirt today. I wonder what a guy would get if he did buy a skirt there???
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Bone collector limbs look good, I thought you would have been a more of a vicxen limb kinda guy

Last edited by north american hunter; 04-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Bone collector limbs look really quite good.
I was hoping they would have been all black instead of checkered like that, but I'm sure I'll get used to it
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 PM

Kurt it was great meeting you and Gazoo too. That's one sweet bow that you have there.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Kurt it was great meeting you and Gazoo too. That's one sweet bow that you have there.
There's a black one there with your name on it!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Nice shirt! Bows not bad either
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Those new hoyts sure are growing on me, I used to think the were ugly but the more I look at em the more I like em
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Only one thing could make that shirt better!!!!

Last edited by Mike_W; 05-01-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

I'm not too crazy about the look of the new carbons, I had to get it in bone collector to try and spice it up a bit, I like the element and matrix better in that regard. It's the new Z5 cam that totally sold the bow for me, well that and the shirt. I think it's shooting about 2-3fps slower than it's advertised ibo which isn't like my other hoyts, it's almost like shooting a Mathews again??? Just kidding, it's way closer to it's advertised ibo than Mathews. I'm going to have to go thru everything and make sure it's all up to spec, then have Lawrence do a bit of tweeking for me. I'm sure I can safely get 75-76lbs out of it.

They weren't giving away any Athens with the shirts
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm not too crazy about the look of the new carbons, I had to get it in bone collector to try and spice it up a bit, I like the element and matrix better in that regard. It's the new Z5 cam that totally sold the bow for me, well that and the shirt. I think it's shooting about 2-3fps slower than it's advertised ibo which isn't like my other hoyts, it's almost like shooting a Mathews again??? Just kidding, it's way closer to it's advertised ibo than Mathews. I'm going to have to go thru everything and make sure it's all up to spec, then have Lawrence do a bit of tweeking for me. I'm sure I can safely get 75-76lbs out of it.

They weren't giving away any Athens with the shirts
Lawrence tweaked my Alloy to 72lb Great service there..
Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Lawrence tweaked my Alloy to 72lb Great service there..
You can definitely tell he loves his job. Lawrence and I played with one of my carbon Matrix's a few years ago, we got it up to 76lbs and had it shooting a 430gr arrow @ 309fps if I remember correctly. I loved that bow and could stack arrows at 80yds with it, wish I never sold that one. I have an Element with a set of Ray Knight's custom strings and the RKT 2.1 cam swap on it. Lawrence put it together for me before he had the chrono set up at his shop, I'm curious how it compares to the Spyder turbo speed wise. The draw is much smoother on the turbo but I think the speed will be close.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Thumbs up

Yes he does. I got a call from him yesterday as i had put some Worlds Best Strings on my new Prime that i ordered from him which he installed this past saturday....... they didnt sit right in the cams and he had to cycle the bow a few times to get them to seat properly. He wasnt happy with that and talked to Winners Choice i supposed and ordered another new set of strings to replace them and informed me after. Now thats customer service!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Banned

I've known Lawrence since he worked for that archery shop in spruce grove and he has always been top notch for customer satisfaction. In all the years I've known him I have never once heard of any unsatisfied customer. As a matter of fact I have personally witnessed him fix several other so called pro shops mistakes. Now he's paired up with Doug, I'm sure they're going to be sick of me and my boys hanging out at the shop. From the sounds of things I think they might get something set up for shooting outside there. It would make a great place to set up a 3D shoot for a weekend camping event. Maybe I'll have to run that by them.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I've known Lawrence since he worked for that archery shop in spruce grove and he has always been top notch for customer satisfaction. In all the years I've known him I have never once heard of any unsatisfied customer. As a matter of fact I have personally witnessed him fix several other so called pro shops mistakes. Now he's paired up with Doug, I'm sure they're going to be sick of me and my boys hanging out at the shop. From the sounds of things I think they might get something set up for shooting outside there. It would make a great place to set up a 3D shoot for a weekend camping event. Maybe I'll have to run that by them.
Ya!! I heard something like an 80 yard outdoor range. I dont mind making the drive. Im sure hes sick of me already lol. Once i set up the kids shooting , im sure he will be for sure. Lol. Nice job on the glass btw
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Hey that's a great set up you have there. Congrats and good luck.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Brotherhood

Hey Kurt505 and Zuludog it was nice to meet and talk with guys for awhile the other day it is always nice to put a face to the name from the AO, now about the Hoyt, I have never been a fan but, the more I shoot the Carbon Spider the more I am really starting to like it, the new cams on it really smooth, think I will make Lawrence a deal he gets rid of his Darton and I will buy my first Hoyt LOL.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoo300 View Post
Hey Kurt505 and Zuludog it was nice to meet and talk with guys for awhile the other day it is always nice to put a face to the name from the AO, now about the Hoyt, I have never been a fan but, the more I shoot the Carbon Spider the more I am really starting to like it, the new cams on it really smooth, think I will make Lawrence a deal he gets rid of his Darton and I will buy my first Hoyt LOL.
lol He's never getting rid of that by the sounds of it. It was great to meet you too. So you getting the Turbo or the Spyder 30 or the Defy?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Lawrence did a great job (read: lots of patience!) setting up my bow when he was at his old shop.

I keep warning Incredigirl that I'm going there "next Saturday" to buy a new bow... It's a surefire way to kill her usual good mood!

Nice shirt, BTW!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Default Brotherhood

Well that depends, you selling your Defy? LOL, Lawrence just called me and he can't get the Defy in optifade supplier is out, if I was to get a Hoyt it would be the 30 though.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear you about not being a hoyt fan, I wasn't either until I shot one.....

My sight came in today, now I just have to find a stabilizer that is as high quality as my fish bonker so I can put it back on my Element and I'll have both bows all set up! Maybe grab some of those arrows you were talking about too.

Oh ya, I took that awful rubber grip off there too. I can't see why they would put a $2 rubber handle on that bow. I'm going to get Lawrence to order me wooden one up.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I hear you about not being a hoyt fan, I wasn't either until I shot one.....

My sight came in today, now I just have to find a stabilizer that is as high quality as my fish bonker so I can put it back on my Element and I'll have both bows all set up! Maybe grab some of those arrows you were talking about too.

Oh ya, I took that awful rubber grip off there too. I can't see why they would put a $2 rubber handle on that bow. I'm going to get Lawrence to order me wooden one up.
I really love the wooden grip on the carbon Spyder it fits my hand perfect!! I will admit it really is a nice smooth bow.

Lawrence told me he will never sell the Darton.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well that depends, you selling your Defy? LOL, Lawrence just called me and he can't get the Defy in optifade supplier is out, if I was to get a Hoyt it would be the 30 though.
Did you try the Turbo or do you like the shorter ATA?

Here's some pics of the fish bonker, wood handle off my Element, and the new Tommy 7-pin. The fish bonker is definitely too heavy, and as much as I like it I think I'll need a different stab for this bow.