Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Default Best bow stabilizer

Ok everyone what's the best for noise reduction and also getting me a little bit more steady. Would like something around6 to7 inch for how I hunt. Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Trophy ridge static stablizer.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Thats a lot like asking whats the best broadhead...or whats better Chev or Ford...lol

The main reason for a stabilizer is to prevent pin float and make that pin more stable and allow a proper follow thru...

Old school rule the longer and heavier the stabilizer the more stable or steady...

Noise is an after thought when it comes to stabilizer..even thou they do reduce hand shock and vibration...there are other factors that can be done to eliminate or dampen noise...

Although most today regardless of size have vibration dampeners capibilities which in turn reduces noise...

Pending on what one wants to do...you said to hunt...so most dont need much more stabilizer than the 6-7 inch you mentioned...

Since your hunting if you can hit the heart out to your proficient/efficent range using none or a small stabilizer... that should tell you whats best...it doesnt matter where in the heart you hit em...

I use a 4" Axion stabilizer that has the Mathews Harmonic Stabilizers HS and dampeners in it...they come in a heavy weight and a lighter aluninum HS...I choose the lighter ... dampens noise and I can shoot as well with it as a 6 or 7 inch stabilizer that I dont need for weight or a bush catcher...

The longer than riser/sights stabilizers [stick way out from the bow] will work perfect in blinds or stands...however if you hunt elk or deer on foot and find yourself "in bushes where the rabbits wouldnt go" then a short stabilizer is the best...

Borrow a couple different sizes and shoot them...go as short as can to where it starts to effect your shooting and find the right size...

JMHO
Neil
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Thats a lot like asking whats the best broadhead...or whats better Chev or Ford...lol

The main reason for a stabilizer is to prevent pin float and make that pin more stable and allow a proper follow thru...

Old school rule the longer and heavier the stabilizer the more stable or steady...

Noise is an after thought when it comes to stabilizer..even thou they do reduce hand shock and vibration...there are other factors that can be done to eliminate or dampen noise...

Although most today regardless of size have vibration dampeners capibilities which in turn reduces noise...

Pending on what one wants to do...you said to hunt...so most dont need much more stabilizer than the 6-7 inch you mentioned...

Since your hunting if you can hit the heart out to your proficient/efficent range using none or a small stabilizer... that should tell you whats best...it doesnt matter where in the heart you hit em...

I use a 4" Axion stabilizer that has the Mathews Harmonic Stabilizers HS and dampeners in it...they come in a heavy weight and a lighter aluninum HS...I choose the lighter ... dampens noise and I can shoot as well with it as a 6 or 7 inch stabilizer that I dont need for weight or a bush catcher...

The longer than riser/sights stabilizers [stick way out from the bow] will work perfect in blinds or stands...however if you hunt elk or deer on foot and find yourself "in bushes where the rabbits wouldnt go" then a short stabilizer is the best...

Borrow a couple different sizes and shoot them...go as short as can to where it starts to effect your shooting and find the right size...

JMHO
Neil
This
Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM

There are a number of great stabs out there. I am running a B-Stinger Sport hunter extreme and really like it! It has enough weight to it to help me hold on target. It is an 8" and I think it might be on the long side. Would like to test drive a 6", they are a decent price.

Some of the blade ones are really nice but pricey.
Doinker has some nice ones too.

It's always nice to go to a shop and test drive a few to get the feel for them.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Although I recommend what Neil had to say I'm a hypocrite cause I shoot a 12 inch Doinker dish. I like it cause it tighten up pin float and it can be just d for offset weight
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM

I really like the B-stinger Prohunter. I think mine is the 8". It really helps to stabilize my bow, I'm not sure if it does anything for vibration or hand shock but my bow had virtually none to begin with so I bought this to help steady my pin not reduce noise etc.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Neil hit it.
One's stab is personal. What works best for you is what is best.
I like Fuse products and find a 6" stab to suit my form best to steady the pin.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Open country spot and stalkers that dont, need try. Just long enough stabilizer that bow doesnt need to be carried while crawling, but used as a tool to cover ground efficiently. Just need be long enough that when crawling hands/knees, bow hand stays on bow, top of riser and stabilizer contact ground. Only need enough stablizer that sights arent getting thumped into the ground. Could write a book on open country spot and stalk, as a handful of guys outthere could as well. Wouldnt dare.... Suffice it to say, there are few that truly know what they are doing.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Personally I like a shorter stabilizer (6" or less) so I can stalk through bush without it getting in the way. Some of the newer stabilizers out there now can be offset which allows for a minimization of torque when you are shooting and depending on the weight can even balance your bow if you shoot with a quiver attached to your bow.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 AM

To get noise reduction and stabilization Bstinger Sport Hunter Extremes are a good bet

If the 'stabilizer' is mostly rubber it's not a stabilizer it's a vibration dampener.

The whole concept of actual stabilization is to use a light rod and weight focused on the tip. This increases the resistance to movement of the bow. You don't have to increase mass weight all that much to get good results.

I ran a 10" front bar with 5 oz and side bar with 4 oz last hunting season and will never hunt with out it again. I can control how the bow naturally balances in my hand, how the bow reacts during the shot. My good shots are better and my bad shots aren't as bad. To me if it means harvesting an animal and not wounding it I'll carry that extra weight everyday. Also a balanced bow is so much nicer to carry.