Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 09:27 AM

Default new sight

I am shooting the Trophy ridge react right now and I love the tool less adjustments but I have realized it is very cluttered and all pins other than the 40 being green is annoying to me. Any suggestions for a new one that guys have been very happy with?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Sight

I moved to a single pin this year and won't look back, I got sick of the cluttered sight picture too. I went with a axt single pin and love it the amount of adjustment is great and after a little practice my groups are better than ever. Look into a single pin you will be amazed at the difference.

Ty
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Hha optimizer lite ultra 5519. Awesome sight.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Spott hog is my go to. I had a real deal and now I shoot the hunter. The most indestructible sight in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
Spott hog is my go to. I had a real deal and now I shoot the hunter. The most indestructible sight in my opinion.
X2 I have a hoggit hunter and on the way a hogg father.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
X2 I have a hoggit hunter and on the way a hogg father.
Same here love me my spot hoggs
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Anyone using an HHA optimizer ultra lite?

considering one for hunting, don't do to much 3d shooting and I thought thats what single pins were primarily for.

Thanks!

Happy Easter
Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM

I wish IQ Sights had a single pin option.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummer_28 View Post
Anyone using an HHA optimizer ultra lite?

considering one for hunting, don't do to much 3d shooting and I thought thats what single pins were primarily for.

Thanks!

Happy Easter
My kids got one, haven't put it on a bow yet (because he doesn't have one) but it's seems very well constructed and we think it'll be good for hunting.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Do you shoot the IQ sight now? I was looking at one the other day at cabelas, it looks pretty sweet! I want the 7 pin so I can optimize my distance! Currently shooting the true glo carbon XS it's a good sight, but too small and only 4 pins.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Do you shoot the IQ sight now? I was looking at one the other day at cabelas, it looks pretty sweet! I want the 7 pin so I can optimize my distance! Currently shooting the true glo carbon XS it's a good sight, but too small and only 4 pins.
Yes, I have been using the IQ for a couple of ears and I love the retina system which has improved my shooting form and accuracy significantly. I couldn't imagine going back to a peep. The new IQ Sights with the micro adjustment are very nice - I have it on my father's day wish list. I use the four pin, as I prefer less clutter and don't shoot past 50 meters.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
What about a single pin with an anchor sight
Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM

I'm a fan of the Trophy Ridge Alpha V5 sight. Less clutter...great field of view for 3D and hunting.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
I'm a fan of the Trophy Ridge Alpha V5 sight. Less clutter...great field of view for 3D and hunting.

I use this on both my 3d and my hunting bows.

LC
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post

Why are the pins on the wrong side?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM

not sure what u mean?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Nothing, my old eyes are getting the best of me.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM

I had a Trophy Ridge 7 pin sight on my bow for about a year. Good sight, I liked the micro adjustments. I did not like the color set up on the pins, i prefer adjacent pins have a different color.

Bought a AXT 5 pin sight, I liked the color set up, enough wrap to be bright and a tough sight, but missed micro adjustment and wanted a larger housing, so got rid of it fairly quickly.

So the search was on for a multi pin sight with a 2" or so housing with the right color set up on the pins. I also wanted micro adjustments and enough wrap for it to be bright.

I ended up with a Tru-Glo micro adjust tool-less sight. Great sight love the click adjustments, easy to set-up and sight in. Nice and bright. Great size.

Then a fello AO'er was selling a Spot Hogg for a great price, I have always wanted one but never could bring myself to pay the kind of money a Spot Hogg was selling for. So my new bow now has a Seven Deadly Pins sight bolted to it. Really like it so far, have not had a chance to shoot it too much yet.

So for now my suggestion is if you are on a budget that Tru-glo deserves a look. If you want to spend more money go for a Spot Hogg, if you keep your eyes open used ones come up here for sale once in a while for a good price.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Nothing, my old eyes are getting the best of me.
I hear ya!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I had a Trophy Ridge 7 pin sight on my bow for about a year. Good sight, I liked the micro adjustments. I did not like the color set up on the pins, i prefer adjacent pins have a different color.

Bought a AXT 5 pin sight, I liked the color set up, enough wrap to be bright and a tough sight, but missed micro adjustment and wanted a larger housing, so got rid of it fairly quickly.

So the search was on for a multi pin sight with a 2" or so housing with the right color set up on the pins. I also wanted micro adjustments and enough wrap for it to be bright.

I ended up with a Tru-Glo micro adjust tool-less sight. Great sight love the click adjustments, easy to set-up and sight in. Nice and bright. Great size.

Then a fello AO'er was selling a Spot Hogg for a great price, I have always wanted one but never could bring myself to pay the kind of money a Spot Hogg was selling for. So my new bow now has a Seven Deadly Pins sight bolted to it. Really like it so far, have not had a chance to shoot it too much yet.

So for now my suggestion is if you are on a budget that Tru-glo deserves a look. If you want to spend more money go for a Spot Hogg, if you keep your eyes open used ones come up here for sale once in a while for a good price.
Glad you like the sight
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM

I love my Axcel Armortech - HD these are great sights and there are a large variety to choose from. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Glad you like the sight
So far so good. At the end of the day I would have been much further ahead to have just bought a Spot Hogg in the begining. But what fun would that be I enjoy trying new things on my bow! Each time I try something new I get that much closer to finding exactly what I want.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM

I have been looking for another sight as well and have narrowed it down to either the Axcel Armourtech or Black Gold Vengeance. Neither is cheap however they are true micro adjust and just about indestructible.

HFC
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Anyone tried the new IQ Sights with the micro adjustment?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Default Single Pin Drawback....

Quote:
Originally Posted by live to hunt View Post
I moved to a single pin this year and won't look back, I got sick of the cluttered sight picture too. I went with a axt single pin and love it the amount of adjustment is great and after a little practice my groups are better than ever. Look into a single pin you will be amazed at the difference.

Ty
Ever tried shooting at whitetail with a single pin? By the time you use your range finder and adjust your sight.... No whitetail to shoot at....

I am using the React and love it. The tight pin cluster was annoying, so, found a solution.

Set the 20 pin. Then set the next pin at 40. The last three will be set at 60 80 and 100... It removes the tightness of the pin cluster. If you are stuck with an odd distance, shoot between the pins. It takes a slight movement up and down to find the average, and then release.

The other option if, like me, you are shooting with a Bowtech Insanity CPX with 400 spine Easton Axis arrows, change to a slightly heavier arrow. The velocity change won't affect kill, but it will make the space between pins slightly wider. I like my Easton Axis 400's so I went with the 20 metre spacing between pins.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Anyone tried the new IQ Sights with the micro adjustment?
I have one but haven't installed or used it yet. Looks well made and is very adjustable. Wish it came with 0.10 pins though.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 PM

60-80-100 meter pins ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHorseguy View Post
Ever tried shooting at whitetail with a single pin? By the time you use your range finder and adjust your sight.... No whitetail to shoot at....

I am using the React and love it. The tight pin cluster was annoying, so, found a solution.

Set the 20 pin. Then set the next pin at 40. The last three will be set at 60 80 and 100... It removes the tightness of the pin cluster. If you are stuck with an odd distance, shoot between the pins. It takes a slight movement up and down to find the average, and then release.

The other option if, like me, you are shooting with a Bowtech Insanity CPX with 400 spine Easton Axis arrows, change to a slightly heavier arrow. The velocity change won't affect kill, but it will make the space between pins slightly wider. I like my Easton Axis 400's so I went with the 20 metre spacing between pins.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I have one but haven't installed or used it yet. Looks well made and is very adjustable. Wish it came with 0.10 pins though.
Let us know how it works out once you have it mounted. I have the older model but have been considering the upgrade to micro adjustments.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
60-80-100 meter pins ?
x2.

White tail at 80 plus yards would be a little challenging unless you took out their front legs with a rifle first. In my experience they are too fidgety for more than 50-60 yards even under the best conditions. Not picking a fight with your accuracy at that distance, just the nature of the beast. By my poor calculation it would take an arrow at an average of 250 ft/sec to arrive at a 100 yards in about 1.2 secs - that's quite a pause when then sound of the string got there in about 0.25 secs.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Only 2 bow sights on the market in my world are black Gold or spot Hogg , just my opinion , I wouldn't waist my $ on anything else