Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM

I vote we close this thread. The answer to the op has been provided many times, and the posts on here are getting downright ridiculous and in some cases offensive. I too was guilty of being offside, as Keg was kind enough to point out to me.

There are better things to discuss and debate, this is not the time or place for this type of thread.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Saskbertan View Post
Nova Scotia, Kansas, Oklahoma & Texas are already allowing crossbows during archery. Inclusion of crossbows into the archery fold will keep hunters in the game longer and get youth interested.

I wish Saskatchewan and Alberta would get on board with the program. Even Québec has allowed crossbows during archery since 2008.

Here's a list of places that permit crossbows during archery:

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/Cro...egulations.asp

Dan
Saskatchewan has a month long crossbow season that overlaps with half the archery season. Why would it need to change?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
For you dakoda,

Seeing as its only allowed in the GUN season and not the bow season... I named it what it should be called...

I hope you don't need pics for everything in life.... it could get silly in the bedroom if you did... or maybe you do?
Well in Alberta a crossbow is not allowed in the archery season, but down south in most states it is, so they must all be less enlightened then we are????

So you define everything based on which season it's allowed in? So what is a 17hmr then...... and what season is it dedicated too........
Maybe you should get some pic's for the bedroom, as it would appear that you are fairly set in your ways.....I'm betting your partner would appreciate it.......
Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Well in Alberta a crossbow is not allowed in the archery season, but down south in most states it is, so they must all be less enlightened then we are????

So you define everything based on which season it's allowed in? So what is a 17hmr then...... and what season is it dedicated too........
Maybe you should get some pic's for the bedroom, as it would appear that you are fairly set in your ways.....I'm betting your partner would appreciate it.......
I know nothing about guns or care.....I definitly don't care what happens in the states.... and your the guy who asked for pictures.....dakodaa
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
You sir are a perfect example of what the ABA stands for Arrogance Before Archery. Maybe we shouldn't separate any seasons and just have any weapon from sept 1 to nov 31. Or just ban archery from rifle season. Or put everything on draw so you can only hunt in the zone you draw for. But I wouldn't vote for that because I don't think limiting opportunity is a good idea.
AAAAMEN!!!!

My question is, where were the fellas on here preaching this same statement while the long looong debate on the archery draws on AO was happening? That is exactly what the ABA seems to be all about. Another member compared them to trout unlimited....the ABA seems to be all about hunting, conservation, marketing their "brand".....until it effects their organization. They are by no means in it for the betterment of the community as a whole, moreso the betterment of the ABA. Sounds like a mickey mouse version of APOS doesnt it?

I bow and rifle hunt. I also am FULLY in support of xbows being utilized by folks that simply can no longer draw a compound. If I could bow hunt with my father again one day it would be well worth "disturbing" the princesses.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Close the thread and reopen a black powder muzzleloader thread... Same scrap different means of hunting...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Perhaps give the bowhunting season to the guys that hunt with spears. that's WAY more challenging than a compound bow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
Well said and I agree totally.

Now where is the ASA (Alberta spear association) when we need them.

LS

Did ya know that the ABA is opposed to the use of spears in the General weapon season? The ABA actually lobbied AESRD to ban hunting with spears.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM

I personally think that crossbows should not at all be used in archery season, unless of course you have a permit..
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I know nothing about guns or care.....I definitly don't care what happens in the states.... and your the guy who asked for pictures.....dakodaa
Well you might want to pull your head out of the sand and watch our neighbors to the south, as often our laws and policies follow in their footsteps. As well, due to the larger populations, it makes for a great opportunity to see how having crossbows allowed in the archery season affect animal populations etc. That is if you actually want to make an educated decision instead of just guessing how it will affect things..........

Last edited by Dakota369; 05-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Did ya know that the ABA is opposed to the use of spears in the General weapon season? The ABA actually lobbied AESRD to ban hunting with spears.
I was not aware of that but it doesn't surprise me at all. That's the problem with organizations that "specialize" in one area. Other than what they specialize in nothing else matters.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Something to ponder for those who may be opposed to the X-Bows in early season archery..

Would this device increase the amount of youth or ladies who may take up our wonderful past time ? How about dear old dad or gramps who don't take well to the cold, September is still typically warm around the province..

My take, yes allowing crossbows will increase hunter numbers, but personally I feel over the course of a couple season, well just the dedicated ones will stick to this path...

More sportsmen and women give us all a louder voice and preserving our heritage and increasing opportunities should be the goal of everyone.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Two whitetails in the "General Season". It was too easy. You don't get busted drawing on them, you do not have to concern yourself with bulky clothing like you would with a bow, scope them way before they come into range, pull the trigger when they present the best profile. I could not ever imagine missing. Similar to using a scoped rifle at 50< yards. You could double that if you have your scope set up for it.
Even if that's all true, why are you bothered by the thought of a guy with a horizontal bow with a pistol grip hunting a mile away in October? Why fight to take away an opportunity from a fellow hunter? And as some here have said in relation to bowhunting, there would be nothing stopping you from picking up a crossbow and enjoying...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Well you might want to pull your head out of the sand and watch out neighbors to the south, as often our laws and policies follow in their footsteps. As well, due to the larger populations, it makes for a great opportunity to see how having crossbows allowed in the archery season affect animal populations etc. That is if you actually want to make an educated decision instead of just guessing how it will affect things..........
The difference between you and me... I only worry about me, and my opinions and decisions. You and numerous other guys on here, worry about my opinions to the point of having it bother and consume you.... you should learn to think for yourself instead of just following others.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I did not know that but don't find it a bit surprising. Stifle the possibility of anyone horning in on "their" season.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The difference between you and me... I only worry about me, and my opinions and decisions. You and numerous other guys on here, worry about my opinions to the point of having it bother and consume you.... you should learn to think for yourself instead of just following others.
Well you are close........ the difference between you and I is that I think about others, in this fantastic hunting community, and what opportunities they may or may not get. I don't just think selfishly about what I want and what I should get, and battle to prevent others from having the same opportunity's.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the ABA's stance on crossbows is ridiculous. The only reason they would have the stance they do, is pure selfishness.

It has been proven in state after state, and certain provinces, that success rates remain about the same. They see an initial spike in participants, but it drops quick. Real quick.

Anyway, carry on.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Well you are close........ the difference between you and I is that I think about others, in this fantastic hunting community, and what opportunities they may or may not get. I don't just think selfishly about what I want and what I should get, and battle to prevent others from having the same opportunity's.
I'm not preventing anyone from having the same opportunity. .... Anyone and everyone has an equal opportunity here.. but the ignorance of the " for " guys refuse to see it that way....

And if you still don't get it.... including xguns in the archery season does not increase a single opportunity. ... all it does is give the people another choice to the same opportunity. .. more hunting licenses won't be sold because of it.... its just a transfer...

Legitimate disabled hunters already have the right for the exclusion....

Bowhunting is very similar to a driver's license. .IMO.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the ABA's stance on crossbows is ridiculous. The only reason they would have the stance they do, is pure selfishness.

It has been proven in state after state, and certain provinces, that success rates remain about the same. They see an initial spike in participants, but it drops quick. Real quick.

Anyway, carry on.
Its not about that.... by definition they are not a bow , that's the issue imo
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to agree with potty. Let's take bows completely out of the equation. They aren't the same.

Create a separate crossbow season. Beginning of September to the end of October, or thereabouts.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not preventing anyone from having the same opportunity. .... Anyone and everyone has an equal opportunity here.. but the ignorance of the " for " guys refuse to see it that way....

And if you still don't get it.... including xguns in the archery season does not increase a single opportunity. ... all it does is give the people another choice to the same opportunity. .. more hunting licenses won't be sold because of it.... its just a transfer...

Legitimate disabled hunters already have the right for the exclusion....

Bowhunting is very similar to a driver's license. .IMO.
Campaigning against something is one way to prevent others from having the same opportunities as yourself.

Wrong, it would increase opportunity to those who would not have it due to time/ability etc. As mentioned before, there are people who do not have the skills to bow-hunt, nor the time to develop those skills, but who may want to be out hunting in the warmer earlier bow season's. These people would I am certain be out if crossbows were allowed in the archery season. But you don't want to share.........
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Only by your definition. It is still a stick propelled by a string no matter how you slice it........ putting it in a mechanism to hold the string back, and trigger it is smart actually and really just makes it an improved bow........
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to agree with potty. Let's take bows completely out of the equation. They aren't the same.

Create a separate crossbow season. Beginning of September to the end of October, or thereabouts.
Create a primitive weapons season, and from rifle and archery season to create it. Implement a primitive weapon license , much like bowhunters already have ( bowhunters would be exempt from it, because they have one already) and track the primitive hunting license s. Then develop appropriate seasons....that's the correct way imo. Not shoving them with Bowhunting season, when they are not a bow.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Campaigning against something is one way to prevent others from having the same opportunities as yourself.

Wrong, it would increase opportunity to those who would not have it due to time/ability etc. As mentioned before, there are people who do not have the skills to bow-hunt, nor the time to develop those skills, but who may want to be out hunting in the warmer earlier bow season's. These people would I am certain be out if crossbows were allowed in the archery season. But you don't want to share.........
You must really like the unemployment insurance system we have..
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Create a primitive weapons season, and from rifle and archery season to create it. Implement a primitive weapon license , much like bowhunters already have ( bowhunters would be exempt from it, because they have one already) and track the primitive hunting license s. Then develop appropriate seasons....that's the correct way imo. Not shoving them with Bowhunting season, when they are not a bow.
Alright. Let's work with this...

I don't think you could do this practically, but let's just think about this theoretically. Suppose you could calculate the success rate for any weapon. Then you could calculate the length of a season that would fit with game management goals.

Let's say a rifle gets a month. Then perhaps a muzzleloader (which has pretty good performance these days) gets 6 weeks. A crossbow gets two months and a bow gets three months as it's more difficult and has a lower success rate. Heck, perhaps a spear gets six months. To me that would make sense and be based on fact/science.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was not aware of that but it doesn't surprise me at all. That's the problem with organizations that "specialize" in one area. Other than what they specialize in nothing else matters.
Quote:
I did not know that but don't find it a bit surprising. Stifle the possibility of anyone horning in on "their" season.

I can't confirm whether or not potential competition plays into this ABA position.

ABA expressed a concern that spear hunting could reflect badly on "Hunting" in the event media showed a negative incident with this tool.

ABA's position was/is that hunting with spears is ethically "Indefensible".
I quiried if the same paramaters for defense of using a bow or crossbow or firearm would apply to spears as well?
Use the tool within it's capabilities....
ABA's answer, No.

ABA stated that there is no "Tradition" of spearhunting in Alberta.
All I could do was .
Seriously, What tool did the bow and arrow evolve from? Are anthropologists and archeologists wrong in calling those pointy stone things found all over Alberta, "Spearheads"?

I really wonder why ABA would be opposed to spearhunting, especially when at the time it is only legal to use a spear in the General weapon seasons.

Yes, we need the ASA to stand up to the ABA.

How come no one is talking Allowable harvest and draw scenarios. Allowing crossbows into Archery only seasons may Decrease hunter opportunity.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
ABA's position was/is that hunting with spears is ethically "Indefensible".
ABA playing the "quick, humane kill" card? LOL They really really shouldn't be going there
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
How come no one is talking Allowable harvest and draw scenarios. Allowing crossbows into Archery only seasons may Decrease hunter opportunity.
What I recall from a few studies done in the US (I'm sure google can find them) was that there was initial increase in participation, therefore decrease in opportunity. This was followed quickly by decreased participation, therefore increased opportunity. People realized that its not very easy to kill anything with either bow. The 300 yard shots they heard about were all lies!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:

You must really like the unemployment insurance system we have..
Fine with me, not that I have ever had too use it......... what does that have to do with the price of tea in china anyways?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think that people need to think outside the box when discussing what effects including crossbows into archery only season would have. It does not have to be province wide and could only include WMU's that including them would have no impact on anyone else in the way of creating draws, etc. There are plenty of zones where ESRD wants to cull deer herds because there are too many of them. How about including them in archery only season for antlerless whitetail in WMU's where there are supplemental doe tags? Include them in the archery season in only the bow zones around Calgary and Edmonton. How about allowing them in the wmu's along the Sask border where they are worried about CWD?

There are so many ways to incorporate crossbows into the existing archery only season without causing any draws or taking any opportunities away from anyone else.....whitetail but not mulie.....bull moose/elk but not cow/calf (or the other way around).......this WMU but not that one.......etc, etc, etc.

I think that it would compliment the existing methods of wildlife management in a lot of wmu's in Alberta without taking away any opportunities from anyone and providing additional opportunities for other people.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM

As the OP of this thread it appears I owe everyone an apology for asking a question and being a new member on this board. I'm sorry I just joined the forum and that I don't have 10 000 posts yet. I thought my question was a decent one and I didn't know the answer. I'm from Ontario and I'm planning on moving to Alberta within the next year.

I used to shoot a compound competitively here until I was injured at work and now its either crossbow or no hunting for me. Crossbows are fully legal here and I was wondering about Alberta. I certainly didn't mean to stir up this kind of mess. I would far rather shoot my compound but I can't pull it back anymore due to the pain.

I don't know why so many guys hate crossbows but they really shouldn't. To the haters,have you ever shot or hunted with one?

Once again I apologize for asking a question here.

Goose smasher