Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 01:36 PM

Default Coyote prices?

Has anybody sold any finished coyotes yet this season? What kind of a price did you get for your hides. I have 45 coyotes ready to sell. Hopefully they will be worth a good price this year.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 11-28-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 11-28-2021, 08:28 PM

Hope the fur buyers dont recognize you on here. Im sure 40 of them are flat and a bit blue.I have a few that look pretty good to me.What they will bring remains to be seen.We need some cold and snow for top coin.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:08 PM

I have caught some primo dogs this year already, but only set wire the past week.

LC
Old 11-29-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
Hope the fur buyers dont recognize you on here. Im sure 40 of them are flat and a bit blue.I have a few that look pretty good to me.What they will bring remains to be seen.We need some cold and snow for top coin.
Cold and snow has very very little to do with fur quality, it only makes em hit baits more.

Last edited by 204ruger; 11-29-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:46 AM

By the sounds of it theres alot of unknowns right now with orders, China lockdowns etc. Perhaps Marty has an.update if there is one
Old 11-30-2021, 02:10 PM

Default Coyote prices

I heard today from a very reliable source that the whole fur market has tanked. I hope this isn’t true, but my source certainly knows what he’s talking about.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:30 PM

Not hearing many good things. I heard to expect 50$ averages from some reliable sources.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:41 PM

Sounding like a good year to take a break. I remember those $30-$50 coyote years.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:03 PM

Default Coyote prices.

I talked to two different buyers today. One said that if you get 40-50 dollars for your best dogs, you’re lucky. The other guy said he’s not going to even buy anything this year. Both said that the whole fur market has tanked. Let’s hope it’s a rumour, but I don’t think so. I guess tomorrow is going to be spent pulling snares.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:00 PM

Just have to kill more I guess. The more u have the more money u make even on low averages.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:35 PM

Default Coyote prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
I snared over 30 of them in the last 10 days. There are some very good looking dogs in the bunch. First snares went out on November 5th. Too bad the prices are tanking.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 PM

Default Coyote prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Cold and snow has very very little to do with fur quality, it only makes em hit baits more.
X2.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 11-30-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 11-30-2021, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I talked to two different buyers today. One said that if you get 40-50 dollars for your best dogs, you’re lucky. The other guy said he’s not going to even buy anything this year. Both said that the whole fur market has tanked. Let’s hope it’s a rumour, but I don’t think so. I guess tomorrow is going to be spent pulling snares.
Yeah, probably not the best year for an early start. FHA pretty much indicated that in their market forecast back in October:

“Western Coyotes suitable for trim are still in good demand, but the darker coloured Eastern coyotes have fallen in price. Central and flatter sections of coyotes will be difficult to move even at the further reduced levels of 2021.”

Now with GFW cancelling their December fur routes AND (so I heard) only paying $40 - $50 for your best pelts with no interest in lower quality ones, everyone is going into a high speed wobble. Personally, I think that GFW is in trouble but whatever.

You’re going to be pulling your snares now right when they are nearing fully prime? I’m just starting and will be hanging more snares the rest of this week in anticipation of the cold weather coming next week.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-30-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Just for the record, I'm not representing GFW, I'm not buying for them, I decided to go trapping this year. I haven't started yet but intend to do so shortly. I made this decision over the summer/fall. Yes my ad is still on the forum... sorry!

The reality is nobody knows yet what a coyote is really worth. A big part of the problem is that Northern China is in a total lockdown. Another problem is that Canada Goose is no longer buying coyotes shortly.

Due to the lockdown, nobody can work and trim parkas with coyote fur, as well, people can't go to the 1/2 mile long x 4 story high fur malls and blow their money on fur trimmed parkas.

This kinda puts a damper on the market as is. Kinda sets everything back.

Dave, you might think GFW is in trouble, but I'd venture to say that you are speculating and don't know anything. They've been around for 110 years or something, probly have learned a few things along the way, like how to react in an uncertain market, to be as fair as they can without losing money, and in particular, how to survive in difficult markets, far worse than what we have today.

If anybody had a crystal ball, they would know what they could sell a collection of coyotes for on the world market and would know where they could buy and be safe, as in buy and not lose money in the process. In the real world, when there is uncertainty, prices fall, regardless of product. So nobody has any answers yet. Maybe in a month or 6 weeks we might be a whole lot smarter.

The fur market has not tanked. My understanding is that FHA has unloaded a mountain of less than desireable skins that were plugging up their facilities and needed to be moved out, moved. Less desireable goods bring less desireable prices, so my understanding is they moved a lot of low end goods cheap and I say... Good! Let the goods and market demand dictate price. Sell the fur, let it self regulate, especially on goods with limited demand. Howard Trager told me a line from his father Sam... "never fall in love with the fur, you'll never make a dime" or something along those lines.

If the market had tanked, then nobody would want the coyotes, not even the "criminal syndicate"!!! but the truth is the buying companies appear to be opening at conservative levels, one more conservative than the other. Likely that will change as the one group has been hunting high and low to see what GFW would be paying. Other buyers are still in the process of setting their prices. Coyotes we talking - as usual. Funny how we call the coyote market the fur market, when it is just a portion of it. Other items aren't tank-ed either yet. More on that later.

It will be most interesting to see what the price of coyotes will come in at. There's lotsa factors, some simple ones like CG out, other factors such as CG knock-off people's position, and other factors like Italy, will they slip away from the stranglehold that the globalist's have placed on their country and get back to shopping and manufacturing? Will everybody quit coyotes just cuz CG has stepped out? Earlier we knew that CG was out, yet the calls for continued strong demand of coyotes by FHA and others was an indicator of the market condition, pre-China lockdown.

And next we have this fricking omnicromer variant for covid. The good thing is that Delta got all the unvaxxed already and they now all have strong antibodies. The bad thing is that the vax aint that great and likely affects natural immunity so here we go again. Point being, all the speculative media fear will be unleashed upon the world as the globalists continue their Klaus Schwab antics while the masses walk around with their heads... stuck in something or some unusual place where heads shouldnt be??? So here we go again, more corvid fun for the world, and this is bad for the fur market.

But so far, one good thing about the coovid, with FHA auctions being online, it was difficult for things to fall. FHA presented goods both by photo as well as video, and put valuations to the lots, and either you bid within a reasonable percentage of the valuation, or no kiyutes for bobby, or jimmy or whoever. The effect? Seems to me that some goods likely would have fallen had there been a live auction, in particular, coyotes! That is purely my speculation and I could be wrong. The auction felt like there was very weak bidding/participation, but just enough to get by on and squeak thru. With the ommercrommer variant floating around everywhere, likely no live auction again, and more notably, likely no free for all Christmas to be enjoyed by family and friends, which in my mind was the reason for ommercron to be unleashed prior to the end of november.... Santa was coming... and Trudeau and his Schwab-bish buddies no want.

Conclusion... don't freak out yet, unless you only trap for the money and don't really have a true love for the industry and the "sport" of it. Give things a chance to settle out.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Beaver are in demand, in particular are winter prime, under ice goods... if the buyer can find them. Hard for these poor bass turds to fish thru all the spring beaver and such to pull out the gems. We need gem lots at the sale, so the people that could pay gem price can pay gem price. Sadly there are few such goods, and so they get mixed in. I talked to one prospective beaver buyer and he really, really wants shearable beaver, but has to buy a million to get what he wants. Talked to another beaver buyer recently again that desperately wants to buy prime under-ice beaver from Southern AB, Southern SK and Northern MT, but he can't get what he needs cuz they all mish-mashed into large lots of which many unsuitable and "stumpage fees" cause the buy to be limiting.

Do go and get some prime beaver! and prime castors! It's a win-win. Put the rest of your trapper ed courses to work for you and set a bunch of snares below the ice. And sell me your pales! you southern folks! Even the pale beaters!

Muskrats were creeping up pre-china-corvid, however since then the price of ranch mink have receeded some, more wonderful market speculations, bad for rat prices, but I expect the rats to recover??? Maybe $6 average if we lucky??? Had a muskrat guy phone me too, wants rats. But me not rat buyer! Good indication tho. People want stuff!!!

Marten were coming up in price... how long could they stay down for? If you have them, trap em. If you don't like the price, stick your 40 marten in a little box in your freezer til next year. It doesn't take up much room and you will likely see better returns than those supposed precious metals that are getting whopped by Bitcoin!

Lynx... talked to one international buyer who bought a bunch last year at 52$ USD, and he wants more. I have no idea where he bought them... FHA? Private guy? Criminal Syndicate perhaps???

Fisher and Otter have been coming up little by little. Go git some. Have fun.

PS... I will need a few large lynx, a few large otters, some wolves, maybe some under ice beaver, especially pales
Old 12-14-2021, 06:09 AM

Sooo it’s been a couple weeks now anyone sold any furs?
Old 12-17-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Beaver are in demand, in particular are winter prime, under ice goods... if the buyer can find them. Hard for these poor bass turds to fish thru all the spring beaver and such to pull out the gems. We need gem lots at the sale, so the people that could pay gem price can pay gem price. Sadly there are few such goods, and so they get mixed in. I talked to one prospective beaver buyer and he really, really wants shearable beaver, but has to buy a million to get what he wants. Talked to another beaver buyer recently again that desperately wants to buy prime under-ice beaver from Southern AB, Southern SK and Northern MT, but he can't get what he needs cuz they all mish-mashed into large lots of which many unsuitable and "stumpage fees" cause the buy to be limiting.

Do go and get some prime beaver! and prime castors! It's a win-win. Put the rest of your trapper ed courses to work for you and set a bunch of snares below the ice. And sell me your pales! you southern folks! Even the pale beaters!

Muskrats were creeping up pre-china-corvid, however since then the price of ranch mink have receeded some, more wonderful market speculations, bad for rat prices, but I expect the rats to recover??? Maybe $6 average if we lucky??? Had a muskrat guy phone me too, wants rats. But me not rat buyer! Good indication tho. People want stuff!!!

Marten were coming up in price... how long could they stay down for? If you have them, trap em. If you don't like the price, stick your 40 marten in a little box in your freezer til next year. It doesn't take up much room and you will likely see better returns than those supposed precious metals that are getting whopped by Bitcoin!

Lynx... talked to one international buyer who bought a bunch last year at 52$ USD, and he wants more. I have no idea where he bought them... FHA? Private guy? Criminal Syndicate perhaps???

Fisher and Otter have been coming up little by little. Go git some. Have fun.

PS... I will need a few large lynx, a few large otters, some wolves, maybe some under ice beaver, especially pales

What’re you expecting for beavers Marty? I’ve got a dozen magnum winter beavs in the freezer.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Sooo it’s been a couple weeks now anyone sold any furs?
I’m averaging over $40 for whole trapped coyotes, I’m pleased with that for the kind of year it is.

LC
Old 12-19-2021, 02:05 PM

If you shoot a beaver or coyote, is it worth trying to sell?
Old 12-20-2021, 06:46 AM

Absolutely, I try to sell everything I harvest.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I’m averaging over $40 for whole trapped coyotes, I’m pleased with that for the kind of year it is.

LC
That's awesome for whole yotes, especially when i'm hearing $60-80 for prime put up yotes, those prices are private buyer, not auction prices.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:17 PM

That guy will be popular and busy
Old 12-21-2021, 05:20 AM

GFW buyer in Sask has add up for buying. Says expect $70.00 off last years price.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
GFW buyer in Sask has add up for buying. Says expect $70.00 off last years price.
That’s 70$ top price and down from there.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 AM

Im having my best catch year ever ,caught 50 in 2 weeks on just over 2 baits ,third had run 2 days ...im not quitting it or gonna be bothered by the chicken little sky is falling syndrome ..if it falls it falls ,if it doesn't Im gonna make a dollar . Now that cold weather is here Im gonna keep at it and if I cover my gas Ill be that much happier ... I fo it for the challenge and love of trapping ,it also gets me in shape for calving time ...the deer deserve my help and if untouched mange is gonna smoke a while pile of dogs ..Happy snaring all

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Im having my best catch year ever ,caught 50 in 2 weeks on just over 2 baits ,third had run 2 days ...im not quitting it or gonna be bothered by the chicken little sky is falling syndrome ..if it falls it falls ,if it doesn't Im gonna make a dollar . Now that cold weather is here Im gonna keep at it and if I cover my gas Ill be that much happier ... I fo it for the challenge and love of trapping ,it also gets me in shape for calving time ...the deer deserve my help and if untouched mange is gonna smoke a while pile of dogs ..Happy snaring all

Just gotta kill more to offset the lower prices is my thinking. I do it to help out cattle farmers and the wildlife so if my fuel is covered I’m super happy aswell.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Coyote prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

Same here. Do it for the love of it, the exercise, and to help out the deer population. Having a good year so far. 93 and counting. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Same here. Do it for the love of it, the exercise, and to help out the deer population. Having a good year so far. 93 and counting. Merry Christmas to all.
Ive got 63 now and all I want for Christmas is the damn birds to leave em alone ...ravens opened one up today .

Old 12-22-2021, 04:27 AM

You guys that just want your gas covered let me know what your bill is and I will buy them off you for that. Its Christmas and the least I can do I figure. Gwf here has offered a top of 70 and down from there. I will ship mine I dont have alot anyway. Merry Christmas guys.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:48 AM

Do we have to provide receipts or will you take our word for it ?