Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-15-2021, 08:14 PM

Default DIY tanned coyote hide for wall hanger.

I’m currently attempting to tan a fit on coyote hide for the wall. It’s been salted and now soaked with dawn dish soap. I just finished fleshing and on to tanning. Is there a great solution that I could make with household items or buy something affordable in Calgary. I’ve researched just wanting a firsthand opinion from you guys. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:11 PM

There is a product called Trubond. That home tanning product will give you professional results. Also they have you tube videos that show how to use the product.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:27 PM

This isn't answering your question about the task at hand. For future pelts you could mail order from Halford's in Edmonton. They have different tanning kits for less than twenty dollars.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/ki...mixed-formulas

Making a home tanned pelt soft and supple is going to take more work than the tanning.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
I’m currently attempting to tan a fit on coyote hide for the wall. It’s been salted and now soaked with dawn dish soap. I just finished fleshing and on to tanning. Is there a great solution that I could make with household items or buy something affordable in Calgary. I’ve researched just wanting a firsthand opinion from you guys. Thanks.
You are going about this bass ackwards. You should have asked and purchased the tanning formula first and then followed the instructions for it. If the instructions don’t call for salting or it’s done in the wrong order things might go south. I would suggest putting that pelt up for sale and getting a nice prime December coyote to tan.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:49 PM
AO Sponsor

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...5ebfa99f&_ss=r

It's showing sold out, but I'm sure theres some on the way.

Why risk your hide with picklejuice, might save a buck, might cost a hide

Last edited by Marty S; 11-16-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
This isn't answering your question about the task at hand. For future pelts you could mail order from Halford's in Edmonton. They have different tanning kits for less than twenty dollars.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/ki...mixed-formulas

Making a home tanned pelt soft and supple is going to take more work than the tanning.
Thanks. I’ll look into this or maybe trubond
Old 11-17-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You are going about this bass ackwards. You should have asked and purchased the tanning formula first and then followed the instructions for it. If the instructions don’t call for salting or it’s done in the wrong order things might go south. I would suggest putting that pelt up for sale and getting a nice prime December coyote to tan.
I’m now regretting getting ahead of myself. Good thing is where I was deer hunting we saw 30 coyotes a day. I’ll probably attempt to finish this one and give it to my friend. I guess the process would be relevant to the tanning product.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/pr...5ebfa99f&_ss=r

It's showing sold out, but I'm sure theres some on the way.

Why risk your hide with picklejuice, might save a buck, might cost a hide
I appreciate your recommendation. That stuff looks like it’s affordable but includes all I need. I’ll hopefully order a kit or two and then do up some more hides after hunting seasons complete. Thanks all