Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Banned

Arrow Coyote Skinner Wanted

I'm looking for a coyote skinner within driving distance of Morinville for this upcoming season. Please PM me if you are interested or if you know of someone that might be.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:42 PM

Seems like custom coyote skinners are a thing of the past anymore. Talked with some guys last Sunday about the exact same thing. They're not touching them under 30 a coyote. Seems like someone spoiled them. But there's always someone that does it cheaper lol

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Default average going rate

I am starting to do coyotes for the hutterites close to grande prairie this year, curious what people charge as I am new to this but have gotten pretty efficient at putting up coyotes. shot coyote vs snared? Not trying to derail this at all just curious as id do them for you Dave but we live a little far from one another.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Lowest i hear is $12, highest $35, not counting the 50/50 guys. Lotsa guys at $20

Shot should be more than snared unless zero damage.

Im happy paying $15 on snared, and grouchy at $20.

The more proficient a person is, the less he/she needs to charge, and still do a super job. A Hutterite kid starting out might take 2 hours to do a coyote and a seasoned pro might take 15 minutes and have a much superior finish.

If you do coyotes for $10, people will be beating your door down and you will be swamped, if you do decent work. If you charge $35, you’ll make more per coyote but many trappers will treat you like you got both covid and syphillis!!! Apparently both are a problem here in AB so watch out!

Last edited by Marty S; 10-06-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:21 AM

OK you three.I know all three of you are very experienced at skinning coyotes. And I've done my fair share years ago. But I'm curious to know...how long did/does it take you to skin the hide off the carcass...nothing more? No fleshing included.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Avg of 6 mins a coyote all evening long. That's from the pups to the old greasy fat coyote . that didn't get away from te bait pile all day long . Now that's 45 to 50 coyotes an evening

Old 10-06-2021, 08:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Skinning varies. Depends upon the dawg and condition it is in, hot,cold, stiff, size, age, fat content vs x-lean/dry. Just skinning proper kiyute or fresh/hot, people like me can skin regularly at 3 minutes and some under 2 minutes. I have a video of kiyute cartel member A.P. at 1:25 but small coyote. His two bestest buddies same calibre. I think Garrett Patton got timed at 1:37or 1:34 at trapper convention but with an adult coyote, but nice one to skin. Same contest my first time beat his first time, is individual coyote dependant, but 1:30 something was the winner. Lotsa guys are capable of this, especially guys who skin mass quantities for furbuyers as in 2000-5000 between 2 or 3 guys. Beasley had a guy one winter that wanted $$$$$$ and skinned his whole collection that winter… smoothest skinner i ever witnessed peel in my life and he did everything manually, as in no winch. Lucky dawg tho fleshed everything on a fleshing machine and stretched hide out so no turning combing or even washing. Ugliness in the raw but perfection once dressed.
GFW has a crew of Mexican skinners that will burn thru 500+ in a day. Each guy has a job, production line, one guy peels. Sounds batty to the uninitiated, i know but whatever.

Anyways, not all coyotes are 2 or three minutes, some are tough, and takes time to turn skin and haul carcass out the door, hang, unhang. Some tough suckers at 5 minutes even 6?
Old 10-06-2021, 09:04 PM

Back in the late 80s and 90s we were skinning for 8 different guys. So 70 to 80 coyotes an evening was the norm. There was two guys skinning. Both were over 200 pounds and they would skin the legs and pull to the shoulders take the front legs out ,pull to the ears and skin the head. Most were skinned around the 3 min mark. 99 percent were dogged and shotgunned coyotes. Guess who did the sewing . At a mere 1.50 a coyote . Sometimes you had to skin a mangy one for parts of fur. Lol good times.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:37 AM
AO Sponsor

Just give Jeffy Bakker a call Davey. Hes right in your backyard. Does good work.
Thot you’d know who your local fur putter uppers were?
Old 10-08-2021, 10:13 AM

anyone in the camrose area do custom skinning? Planning on running 3 or 4 baits this winter on some land I have permission on.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:02 PM

Couple colonies did last year
Old 10-09-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
anyone in the camrose area do custom skinning? Planning on running 3 or 4 baits this winter on some land I have permission on.
I know a few guys in that area that you could contact, they custom skin and will vouch for them

Old 10-26-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
I know a few guys in that area that you could contact, they custom skin and will vouch for them

I’m interested as well I’ll send you a pm
Old 10-28-2021, 09:32 PM

Anyone skinning coyotes down by Lloydminster. New to the trapping game but shoot a few coyotes.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:06 PM

Looking for a skinner in the Peace area.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-07-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Looking for a skinner in the Peace area.
Where about I know a few in the area.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:06 PM

Peace River area

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-10-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
Peace River area
PM sent