Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 07:21 PM

Default Chester Lake

I am looking at heading up to Kananaskis country with the better half this weekend. Was looking at doing chester lake or Pickle Jar, and was wondering if anyone had been up there recently. How was the fishing and how much bear activity? Went to Chester last year and it was beautiful so I wanted to take the wife this time.
Cheers

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 PM

Did you get up to Chester this weekend? We were there in mid July and the fishing was really good that day, there was also a grizzly and cub at the trailhead at the lake when we arrived.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Did you get up to Chester this weekend? We were there in mid July and the fishing was really good that day, there was also a grizzly and cub at the trailhead at the lake when we arrived.
The grizzlies seem to like it there, see them probably half the time I head out there, haven’t been for a couple years though.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 PM

Just got back home. Hiked up pretty early sat, but it was pretty rainy and windy. Fished for a but and had a couple strikes but it was nasty fishing weather. They seemed to like the caddis the best. When we went up there was probably 6 vehicles there and when we left probably about 70. But yeah was some tough casting but still had a few strikes everything was deeper that struck.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The grizzlies seem to like it there, see them probably half the time I head out there, haven’t been for a couple years though.
Got a few pics of the bear we saw in July, the cub is off to the left in this one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last year we hiked all the way up there with float tubes, fished for about an hour, then hear a quad coming up the trail. They closed the lake and trail down due to another grizzly last year. Sucked hiking up with all that gear only to fish for an hour, but when someone with a shotgun tells you to leave, usually you leave lol. The group of hikers in this pic literally just arrived at the lake, then had to turn around and go back.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Just got back home. Hiked up pretty early sat, but it was pretty rainy and windy. Fished for a but and had a couple strikes but it was nasty fishing weather. They seemed to like the caddis the best. When we went up there was probably 6 vehicles there and when we left probably about 70. But yeah was some tough casting but still had a few strikes everything was deeper that struck.
That's too bad about the wind. It's worth hiking up there with a float tube if you have time and spend the whole day up there.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
That's too bad about the wind. It's worth hiking up there with a float tube if you have time and spend the whole day up there.
Yeah tempting, I think I will be trying pickle and elbow next but I do really enjoy the chester hike and the lake.