Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 PM

Default Where to find bull trout on the kakwa??

Before you say anything, here me out. Ive fly fished lots before, caught plenty of rainbows, brookies, and just today a bunch of grayling on the kakwa. However i told myself im ready for bigger game, and i wanted to try bull trout on the fly. So i outfitted myself with a 9'6 8wt rod with a sinking tip floating line and some size 4 streamers. But yesterday i was skunked on the kakwa river, fished the deepest water i could find but no cigar. I understand their behavior and their diet, but it seems like the fishing can be hit or miss.

-could the river be too low at this time of year? Do they leave the kakwa for the smokey system by now?
-are they just being held up in very specific pools? And would you be willing to disclose where to look for them? (Starting point highway 40 bridge).
-do they feed more earlier in the season?

Any tips are much appreciated. Im willing to disclose my new grayling honey hole on the kakwa river for good information on kakwa bulls.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:38 AM

Can't say I'm the most successful bull hunter, but some days/rivers/pools are just hit and miss. I'd say a size 4 is pretty damn small if you're specifically targeting bulls. My bull streamers are typically size 1, and my longer patterns will have a stinger hook. I'd say my average length is just under 4''.
Double bunnies and a squidro variant are my go tos
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Banned

This^^
I'm no authority on bulls neither,but when I do target them,it's "go BIG or stay home!".....as in,the biggest big azz flies I can chuck,4-8" long....think pike size flys in cutthroat color schemes.....remember,your targeting a predator that thinks nothing of trying to steal a 13" cutt right off of your leader.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM

your grayling hole probably has a few monster bull trout in it. I found that when fishing in the Kakwa the big bull trout were only hitting the grayling we were reeling in. I may not be the most skilled fisherman but the guy i was with knows his stuff and he never hooked any of the fish that were chomping onto our grayling. The guys fishing the big flies may onto something. One of my best trips on the kakwa was in a draught year Aug. long weekend in a hole that was as long as a football field.