Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Default Flippers for pontoon boat

I'm new to the pontoon boat world and have been told that flippers aree the way to go , better than oars . What kind do you use and where are they available ? Thanx .
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM

I bought mine from a SCUBA store... any of the higher end ones with an adjustable heel strap. I found the ones at the fly shop didn't have enough thrust.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Kijiji has many high end flippers for low dollars. Many people get into scuba or snorkeling and then decide it is not for them.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

These look interesting,a bit pricey compared to generic float tube fins,but they look like they be the catsazz for tubing/pontooning/wading....just flip'em up to your shins for wading,entering/exiting river etc.....gonna get me a set for next season.
http://www.flipfins.com/index.php?page=fins
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Force, either dive fins or the boot overs. Dive fins are easier to get in and out of but you need to carry something to slip on your feet so you ain't wanderin' around on your neo booties.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM

X2 for forcefins. Everything else is a waste of cash
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Scuba for the lake, fit overs for the river. Regardless of which fins, you want both oars and fins. Oars for traveling or if the wind comes up and fins for fishing.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 PM

X2 on the force fins.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Thanx for the replies , I do plan on keeping the oars ,I have been told the fins are quieter and keep me from spinning in circles while I'm casting .. don't laugh I said I was new ..LOL ..
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Thanx for the replies , I do plan on keeping the oars ,I have been told the fins are quieter and keep me from spinning in circles while I'm casting .. don't laugh I said I was new ..LOL ..
Lol that would be sumthin to see forsure
ive used the belly boat fins they suck get a good pair of snorkling fins much better
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 AM

Force fins work really well, don't forget to get keeper straps for them as well.
every once in a while they can slip off, and they don't float.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Banned

Hmmm...lotsa votes for ForceFins....has ANYBODY here used FlipFins??(which I "thought" we're a bit pricey.....until I looked up Force which cost 50% more)

FlipFin reviews from a couple of guys that do a wee bit of fly fishing,lol

"These fins are the coolest things I`ve seen in a long time. Finally a full length, full power fin that you can walk in." Kelly Galloup, Author & Lecturer, Owner of Slide Inn Fly Shop, Madison River, Montana

"I can`t believe these fins. This is the best design I have ever seen." Dave Whitlock, Dave & Emily Whitlock Fly Fishing

http://www.flipfins.com/index.php?pa...duct=navigator
Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 AM

i definitely give my vote to force fins. But I may be purchasing a new pair for my brothers birthday, and those flipfins really look interesting.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Those Flip-fins do look interesting. Price isn't terrible when you consider what you spend for gas & etc to get there and back, I suppose. And it should be a one time purchase.Definitely be nice with the pontoon on a river or when using a float tube.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM

I was wondering what Force fins were worth nowadays, happened across this article, comical in the least. ( PS, They are a lot more than what I paid for them nearly 20 yrs ago)

http://www.adventurecorps.com/what/f...ns/force2.html
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Only ever saw one pair of those flip-ups around and when I asked how good they were all I got was a "ain't all that special other than the walkin' around part". When I bought my adjustable Forcefins they were 2 bills and the flip-ups were $150
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Force fins work really well, don't forget to get keeper straps for them as well.
every once in a while they can slip off, and they don't float.
I can vouch foe that I have lost a few pairs of flippers
Old 08-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I was wondering what Force fins were worth nowadays, happened across this article, comical in the least. ( PS, They are a lot more than what I paid for them nearly 20 yrs ago)

http://www.adventurecorps.com/what/f...ns/force2.html
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/22840/...uxe-force-fins
Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 PM

I have the flip fins and really like them. I just wish it was easier to switch between positions, it takes quite a bit of force to lock them in place. Maybe once they have had more use it will loosen up.
Wayne
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM

I believed the hype about Force Fins and was it hype. I sold my set if Force Fins cause they are not as efficient as Scuba fins.
The one thing you must do is make sure that whatever you wish to wear with your fins will fit. Scuba fins are designed not to be worn with wading boots. The best fins I saw were sold by Browning. They had a remove able insert that allowed the use of either boots or stocking foots.
Get tethers as well.

Don
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 AM

Now now Don not everythang new-er is bad.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM

Taco,

Got mislead by the internet chatter and spent $200 on Force Fins that didn't do the job as well as the scuba fins in bought for my belly boat in the early '70's.
Only got $150 for them used and that included the tethers.
I know people like them but.....
All new technology is not great.

Don
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 PM

I don't disagree with Don very often as he's a pretty smart cookie but I have to disagree on his view of the force fins (Don maybe you got a defective pair). I have used a lot of different makes when it comes to fins, I currently have the caddis fins and the outcast fins for my clients (and myself) as they fit nearly every size feet and am too cheap to by another pair of force fins (mainly because I rarely use fins with my pontoon anymore) but I used to love them. One day I left them at a lake I was fishing and came back on hour later to grab them and they were gone. That cheap Scottish guy in my head won't allow me to buy another.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Taco,

Got mislead by the internet chatter and spent $200 on Force Fins that didn't do the job as well as the scuba fins in bought for my belly boat in the early '70's.
Only got $150 for them used and that included the tethers.
I know people like them but.....
All new technology is not great.

Don
Ah hell Don all I know they're easier on pair of wonky tore-up knees than the dive fins I tried... too many dink horses and moguls in a misspent youth.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't disagree with Don very often as he's a pretty smart cookie but I have to disagree on his view of the force fins (Don maybe you got a defective pair). I have used a lot of different makes when it comes to fins, I currently have the caddis fins and the outcast fins for my clients (and myself) as they fit nearly every size feet and am too cheap to by another pair of force fins (mainly because I rarely use fins with my pontoon anymore) but I used to love them. One day I left them at a lake I was fishing and came back on hour later to inggrab them and they were gone. That cheap Scottish guy in my head won't allow me to buy another.
i

Mike,

The kind I was instructed to buy were multiple adjustment things. No matter I tight I got them there was lost motion. Lost motion is where you do something and nothing happens. It's about efficiency and these things were junk. I suspect that if I wore wading boots, they might have been better. Lag bolting the Force Fins to my feet is the only way these pieces of crap would've been as good as my scuba fins.
And Taco, I'll trade you two arthritic hips and knees for some that work better. The knees are to be replaced in the next year.

And just so ya' know, I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy or Santa Clause but you never know, with the collective wisdom of the internet, I may be convinced that Force fins are not a piece of crap.

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 08-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:13 AM

LMAO **** Don you rose to that one like a starvin' cutthroat