Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 05:02 PM

Default Carry permit

Hey guys I have a trapline out west up against the Rockies, only had it for the last season and a bit but I was thinking about starting trapping a bit earlier this year and future years and bears will be out and about. I’d like to be able to get my carry permit for handguns for either this fall or next year, I don’t know to much about it other than I should be able to get it no problem. Are there caliber restrictions? Is there a separate course?
Old 10-14-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Hey guys I have a trapline out west up against the Rockies, only had it for the last season and a bit but I was thinking about starting trapping a bit earlier this year and future years and bears will be out and about. I’d like to be able to get my carry permit for handguns for either this fall or next year, I don’t know to much about it other than I should be able to get it no problem. Are there caliber restrictions? Is there a separate course?
Check this link out

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=Carry+permit

WDF
Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 PM
Banned

At the time I got my ATT and ATC, there were no restrictions regarding calibre. Initially the calibre had to be of "sufficient" size as it was to be used for protection purposes. Since that time, a smaller calibre can now be carried and used for dispatching as the larger one is self explanatory..There are lots of hoops that I had to jump thru to get mine, making me probably more qualified than most " wanna be's".. Not sure if one still has to be a member to a gun club
or if the proficiency testing can be done at one of the indoor gun ranges (where mebmbership would be easier to access..???
Old 10-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Default Atc

Lots of hoops to jump through. Level 1 holster, need to shoot like 'Billy the Kid", need to be active member of range, only 10 page application, two different applications Dispatch/ Protection etc
CFO do everything they can to prevent you from getting your ATC.
Lastly they limit your practicle use on line.
PS I am just to stubborn and have to many grizz on my trapline.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:02 PM

Waste of my time to get permit. Once I received my permit I was informed that I had to carry my pistol in a holster with a safety latch over the pistol and it has to be in a waist holster completely visible. No shoulder holster. Also had to have a trigger lock and in a lock box when transporting it in truck, or on a quad or snowmobile. So if I’m on Joe’s land and I’m going to jump into my truck to go check snares on Dave’s land which is right next door, I have to lock up my gun. Or if I’m in grizzly territory and in on my quad, my pistol has to be locked up. Found it easier to carry a fold down.22 rifle.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Waste of my time to get permit. Once I received my permit I was informed that I had to carry my pistol in a holster with a safety latch over the pistol and it has to be in a waist holster completely visible. No shoulder holster. Also had to have a trigger lock and in a lock box when transporting it in truck, or on a quad or snowmobile. So if I’m on Joe’s land and I’m going to jump into my truck to go check snares on Dave’s land which is right next door, I have to lock up my gun. Or if I’m in grizzly territory and in on my quad, my pistol has to be locked up. Found it easier to carry a fold down.22 rifle.
Really now, let's give our heads a shake..and read between the lines.
It is probably written that if we don't breathe we will die...????
Old 10-17-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If you are on an atv the handgun does not need to be locked up, it only needs to be unloaded. In a truck must be locked up. What’s a safety latch on a holster? I was told just a hip holster that covers the trigger.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You mean a holster equipped with what is commonly referred to as a "thumb break"?
Old 10-17-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Lots of hoops to jump through. Level 1 holster, need to shoot like 'Billy the Kid", need to be active member of range, only 10 page application, two different applications Dispatch/ Protection etc
CFO do everything they can to prevent you from getting your ATC.
Lastly they limit your practicle use on line.
PS I am just to stubborn and have to many grizz on my trapline.
The target has a radius of 9 inches, which means 18 inches across. You don’t have to be Billy the Kid to hit that. You pretty much need a gun club membership to own restricted anyways.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:19 PM

May be better off with a pistol grip pump shotgun.SSG in the chamber then slugs to follow.