Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 03:42 PM

Default Nock high newbie question

I have a bowtech assassin with a whisker biscuit installed.
Field tips all good to 40 yards
Slick trick blades installed shoots 4" low at 30 yards
I haven't shot it much at fifty cause I'm not that good.
I tried shooting an unfletched arrow at 4 yards 10 yards and 20 yards. All results with the nock high on target.
Moving whisker biscuit doesn't help much.
It was doing same thing last year.
This year had new strings installed.
Installer confirmed timing good. Tillers both the same.
Only thing I can say is limbs are tightened unevenly and bow set to 60 lbs.
Thanks in advance.
Could this be the issue? Should I buy a drop away rest?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:54 PM

have you checked for knock pinch?

Vane contact through the rest maybe?
Old 09-19-2021, 05:03 PM

Thanks. I will check for nock pinch.
Vane clearance is all good
Old 09-20-2021, 02:39 AM

You haven’t given enough information to properly troubleshoot this but I’ll give you a few ideas. I also haven’t owned or tuned one of those exact bows and I’m not familiar with the cams.

Is it safe to assume the bare shafts are impacting both nock high but below your fletched field tips?

Broadheads are also impacting below your fletched field tips.

Initially I would move the rest up a hair assuming the arrow is where you want it relative to the berger hole. Being as that didn’t work, move the nocking point down a blond one. Both the rest height and nocking point can be in the wrong place. If that doesn’t work, possibly the top limb is lazy and needs a little weight added OR you need to lengthen your control cable (assuming it’s a hybrid cam bow). And it’s not one or the other but the fact you said the bow is “tillered correctly” but the limb bolts are uneven makes me think the bow isn’t tillered correctly and the bottom limb is working harder then the top.On most bows I would start with the cables. I haven’t seen everything but only once did I have to tune a bow by adjusting limb weight to a point they didn’t match. The rest were tuned with the cables. (It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that condition and possible I’ve got it backwards. Could be the top limb is out working the bottom. If it was my bow I would trust my gut first and tighten the top limb and if the condition got worse I would do the opposite but that’s only after I’ve attended to everything else and started with both limbs tightened the same amount.)

This is all assuming your form is good, your cams are timed, draw stops are touching at the same time, brace height, ata length, draw length and max weight are within spec, centre shot is correct and your spine isn’t to much on the ****. Your cams being tuned includes starting in the correct position.

The comment that field tips are flying good doesn’t mean anything. Field tips always fly good unless your form is horrible or your bow is severely out of tune. A properly tuned bow will throw field tips, bare shafts and 2” fixed blade broadheads in the same group to your max range.

A drop away won’t likely solve this problem unless the real problem is you dropping your bow arm before the arrow clears the rest.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 09-20-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:53 AM

Have you tried lowering your nock point?
Old 09-20-2021, 10:22 AM

Has the bow been paper and bare shaft tuned? That should give you a good idea on where to start assuming everything is timed, tied properly and getting good clearance