Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Wolves

An interesting note in ATA Presidents report that wolf numbers were way down in the four major Alberta caribou protection areas. My guess is the wolves have eaten their dinner (moose/elk and deer) and now many packs are short of food.
I did not cross a single wolf track on my trapline this winter.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:38 AM

The wolves are way down because alot of arial work has been done to keep the numbers way down.

The Bios have been flying from a location for the fourth year in a row all winter working to locate the packs, and then remove them.

I cannot substantiate the information from another source, but it seems that when there are no operations on Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, the crews have been allowed onto the base to do wolf reduction which has made a huge difference to the caribou numbers in the Amadeau and LLB areas.

Drewski
Old 04-13-2021, 11:55 AM

Drewski, it would be positive that Bios are dealing with the Cold Lake packs. The numbers of wolves were also down in Grand Cache, Fox Creek, Athabasca and Manning areas.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM

I was very lucky to meet a HD mechanic who is also a trapper on an Ins claim I was doing for his neighbor's wheel Loader. Turns out he traps in a northern wmu that I have hunted for 20 plus years.

It has been great chatting with him about the area. He too told me there has been some serious work done by aerial means the last few winters to thin the packs. Quite ingenious too(no poison) but I won't say how. No need to give the antis any more info.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Drewski, it would be positive that Bios are dealing with the Cold Lake packs. The numbers of wolves were also down in Grand Cache, Fox Creek, Athabasca and Manning areas.
Two years ago not many wolves on my line at all I caught two last year I caught 14 this year nothing again, overall definitely less than normal, my line is north of red earth
Old 04-15-2021, 07:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Now they just gotta go wipe out the black bears in the bogs that eat all the caribou calves on the calving grounds and there could be hope for the species.

Ain't gonna happen

So how 'bout opening a black bear for snare-trap trapping season, and no limit in the caribou zone.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Now they just gotta go wipe out the black bears in the bogs that eat all the caribou calves on the calving grounds and there could be hope for the species.

Ain't gonna happen

So how 'bout opening a black bear for snare-trap trapping season, and no limit in the caribou zone.
Absolutely agree, if they were serious about saving the caribou, they would also include a cull on black and grizzly bear, along with stop logging. The last estimate is that they already over logged the caribou zone in Grande Cache and yet the companies keep on cutting. The government is just pretending to save face.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Ain't gonna happen

Exactly. Well put.