Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Getting new custom RMR looking for a calibre

Hey everyone looking for a bit of help with picking a calibre for this new build that i am looking to get done. Im looking to get a light weight and long distance sheep gun built and have been suggested by a few to go with a 6.5 for what im looking to do but i want to have enough hitting power with the gun to hunt anything i want to with it and yes i know any gun works as long as its a proper shot but i still want good speed and power with it. I talked to Corlane's and they have suggested 6.5x284, 6.5x47 lapua, 6.5 creedmoor, 26 nosler or a 264 win mag. I have been researching to see what might be best so i figured id try here as well and see what everyone has to say about them and there suggestions. I will be reloading myself/with help of a buddy cause im new into reloading but ya.

I already have a 300wsm so im not looking for a big calibre gun thats why ive been suggested something in the 6.5 and also a 280ai

thanks for the help!!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:56 PM

A buddy grabbed a 6.5 Creedmoor and brought it out this fall. we put quite a few down the pipe. Impressive...
He did kill his White Tail this fall with it.
Nice light recoil and the ballistics are impressive.
The 7/08 is worth a look too.
Both are a plus if you reload as factory ammo is scarce for both

Old 01-11-2015, 03:58 PM

The .264" caliber is an excellent place to start. For a sheep gun, I would be seriously looking at the 260rem, because it will easily fit a short action, and it doesn't require as long of a barrel to reach it's potential. If you choose to go with a 6.5x284 on a short action, make sure that they cut the throat so that you can get close to the lands, and the loaded rounds still fit the magazine and cycle properly. I myself have avoided the Creedmoor, because of the limited selection of brass, and the fact that Lapua does not make brass for it.