Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 AM

Default Necked down brass question

I picked up a package of guns,ammo and brass a while back and am in the process of sorting through it all. There are several rounds of both 32 Rem and 30 Rem that have been necked down and reloaded for 25 Rem. I plan on pulling the bullets and dumping the powder as I have enough original 25 Rem brass for what I need. My question is can the 30 and 32 brass be re-necked to original? I know both are hard to find so don't really want to chuck it if it can be used.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Yeah. Definitely. The big issue would be if it was neck turned after sizing down you might not have enough brass in the neck to obtain the tension you might want. But if it hasn't been neck turned, size it up and anneal it.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:30 AM

I would leave it as is, and advertise it, there are enough people looking for 25rem brass, that it should sell quick.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the advise.Selling as is sounds like the plan as I don't have Rem. 30 or 32 dies to resize them.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Yeah. Definitely. The big issue would be if it was neck turned after sizing down you might not have enough brass in the neck to obtain the tension you might want. But if it hasn't been neck turned, size it up and anneal it.
I would suggest annealing before expanding, (remove primers before annealing),
but as you do not have dies or need 30 or 32, I suggest leaving them the way they are and either using them for foulers or sell as is. The next user can anneal, and expand or fireform as they desire.

Good luck, YMMV