Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 PM

Arrow Reloading the 7.5 swiss

Just purchased a k31 in 7.5 swiss. Shoots extremely well with the irons to the point that I would like to hunt with it, only issue is no proper hunting rounds. Checked around, online and in town, only to find out that I may be in over my head a bit. Looked at the process to reload the brass found in the military surplus (gp11) and it still does not look good. The thought of pulling the surplus ammo (and replacing the projectile and powder to match specs found in a reloading manual) has come to mind. But the significant difference would be the primers. Hornady calls for the use of a fed 210 primer (or equivalent) when loading the 7.5 swiss. The question is that besides how the primers are made and ultimately function, is there significant difference between a berdan primer and a boxer primer in terms of pressure produced and if the use of a berdan primer can be used with boxer primer loads?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 PM

Check out www.swissrifles.com. All kinds of info there in the forum section.

Last edited by 6tmile; 01-10-2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Cuz
Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Default Swiss

The Berger VLD in 175gr is, from what I heard the closest to the gp11 stuff. I'm just getting set up to load with those bullets. Use a chrony to match the gp11 to your reloads and you should be close to the site graduations. I did a thumbnail group with gp11 at 100 with my k31. They are good guns.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 AM

I was determined to take mine hunting this year but I couldn't find any brass for it anywhere, so I pulled the fmj's from the gp11 round, dumped out the 50 grains of gun powder, took one grain away so I had an even 49 grains in each case (just in case a bit was lost during the bullet pulling)dumped it back in and put a 165 gr Sierra Gameking in. The point of impact did not change at all from the gp-11 and it shoots them just as accurately (or at least pretty darn close, still got 2" groups at 100). I took 2 deer with it, the doe dropped on the spot and the buck ran 30 yards then fell over.

The throats on the K31's are very tight so the bullet has to be seated deeper than you would normally seat them in other calbers. 2.850" is the OAL that worked good for me with the 165 Gamekings.
Good luck!

PS I have since found brass and dies etc so i'm currently trying to find a good load.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post

PS I have since found brass and dies etc so i'm currently trying to find a good load.
I think you need to be more specific about this information to help the op...
Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
I think you need to be more specific about this information to help the op...
I am only a PM away my friend
Old 01-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggelaar22 View Post
Just purchased a k31 in 7.5 swiss. Shoots extremely well with the irons to the point that I would like to hunt with it, only issue is no proper hunting rounds. Checked around, online and in town, only to find out that I may be in over my head a bit. Looked at the process to reload the brass found in the military surplus (gp11) and it still does not look good. The thought of pulling the surplus ammo (and replacing the projectile and powder to match specs found in a reloading manual) has come to mind. But the significant difference would be the primers. Hornady calls for the use of a fed 210 primer (or equivalent) when loading the 7.5 swiss. The question is that besides how the primers are made and ultimately function, is there significant difference between a berdan primer and a boxer primer in terms of pressure produced and if the use of a berdan primer can be used with boxer primer loads?

Any help would be appreciated.

I ****ed around with converting brass and didn't find it to be worthwhile. I was able to find some .284 Winchester brass which works OK once sized and fireformed. First sizing was brutal as the base of the case is a bit oversize and I bent the handle on my press. Tradex has new 7.5 brass and its a good idea to get some of that!

I found the Hornady 150 grain SST shot well for me and I tried to connect with a deer but only got a coyote.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Thanks for the Info everyone... Mgvande, please share how the VLD loads turn out, would be interesting how they compare the gp11, if you do not mind. SKSniper, incoming pm..
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 AM

If you need brass check out tradeex Canada. They carry new brass

Tags
7.5x55 swiss, berdan primer