Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default my fresh 6-284

remember that 308 win barrel i milled in half? this is why i had the spare barrel.

the seed was planted when i started that stupid custom gun day dreaming thread. Everyone adding their ideas just pushed me over the edge and i started looking for a blank.

fast forward 2 weeks and a palma contour 6mm 1 in 8 30" blank comes up on gun nutz. the seed was already planted so i struck a deal. i've twisted lots of barrels on savages and i ream stuff day in and day out, i practically live machining so i figured i could put it together no problem.

so i had my caliber but not my cartridge and i didn't know what action i was going to use yet. luckily i had a few different rifles that would work but i had one that stood out my 308 mod 70 that had seen better days. so that meant i was going to try for a short action and heavy bullets, good luck... i settled on the 6-284 after talking to ptg. after a good talk about pushing back the free bore it was then a couple of weeks to get my crowning tool, range rod, gauges and reamer.

dies, brass, bullets were next. dies for a 6-284 should be hard to find right? it took one phone call to prophet river and they had 6.5-284 lapua brass, redding dies, and all the bullets i wanted! actually I thought this was going to be the hard part.

Getting the barrel ready was the next task. Nice tight top of tolerance threads that I filed by hand to fit the action this took about an hour and everyone in the shop thought I was nuts. When leeper tells you something is important I guess it pays to listen because it fit like a glove. This is the part where I said “if I have to push this back I’ll cry”

The reaming was very straight forward, push in the reamer nice and slow with lots of cutting fluid. I stopped 0.080” short and finished by hand with the action snugged up.

Time to flip her around and decide my length. I held out my thumb and moved the part off blade closer “that’ll work!” as the end of the barrel plunked in the bottom of the lathe. Crowning was the same process as cutting the chamber, slow and lots of cutting fluid. I chose to not leave the outside edge sharp and filed it to have a small rad. So I pulled it out and measured, 29 ½” long, as good a length as any.
This is where the fun really starts I can see everything coming together now. I had the barrel torqued, the pillars in the stock, and a sporter barreled stock sitting in front of me.

This is where cam software is really nice. I measured the contour and we had a program to mill it out 0.030” large in no time. If that’s not worth $50,000 I don’t know what is! We used a 1” iscar inserted ballnose end mill to widen it up and we did it in the 200-C. in 20 minutes we had a stock that fit but wasn’t quite right. So we pushed the program down 0.008” and we had the fitment we were looking for.

This is where the heavy work ended and the light touch began. I had some rough edges and such that needed touching up.

And this is the final product!

the stock unfitted.(and my dinner)

first test fit in the stock

some goodies from wgp

now just before some test shots!

questions? comments? suggestions?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Did you do all of your work on a CNC or did you need to use a manual lathe for some of the work? My son and I will be putting a new barrel on a Model 70 as soon as the barrel arrives. This will be our first project. Anything we should pay careful attention to? My son is the machinist, I am the banker so I am more concerned about errors than he is.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Did you do all of your work on a CNC or did you need to use a manual lathe for some of the work? My son and I will be putting a new barrel on a Model 70 as soon as the barrel arrives. This will be our first project. Anything we should pay careful attention to? My son is the machinist, I am the banker so I am more concerned about errors than he is.
the barrel was done on a manual lathe in a 4 jaw. i machined bushings the same contour as the barrel out of brass and split them on one side to avoid messing it up.

a floating reamer holder is nice to have.

i machined a ring with a set screw to set my depth on the reamer. it made things really simple. i probably could have used a paint pen but oh well

the reamer actually goes pretty fast to pull out often and clean/ relube
Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Very nice rifle! You got her all bedded and everything?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
thank-you. yup! pillar bedded and bedded with devcon. i actually stuck it to the action the first time because i didn't have enough release on the bolts

it was the worst mess ever hence the forster bolts lol
Old 12-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the commentary ... Very nice outcome!
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
and by the way i copied your pillars they looked great and worked the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Thanks for the commentary ... Very nice outcome!
thank-you, i skipped a lot of steps so if anyone has questions i can tell you what i did specifically
Old 12-12-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
and by the way i copied your pillars they looked great and worked the same

thank-you, i skipped a lot of steps so if anyone has questions i can tell you what i did specifically
No prob, why buy pillars when I have a bucket full of 6061 T6. I envy your access to free scrap working in an machine shop.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
I envy your access to free scrap working in an machine shop.
haha ya we have enough scrap around here to build anything we want. the free brass sleeves to clamp on were a nice touch.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM

When will you get a chance to put some down the pipe?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
When will you get a chance to put some down the pipe?
i'll probably do it tomorrow

well actually i'm debating if i want to keep the grand slam on there. (ok i know i don't, i want to get another sIII)

so i'm still wavering if i want to sight it in and start shooting groups just to pull the scope off 6 more times and keep tinkering with stuff.

i'm probably going to shoot it at least out to 300 yards tomorrow because the anticipation is killing me!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

update: i ended up topping it with a sightron sIII 8-32x56mm target dot because i like to keep it simple

last weekend she put 6 into about a 1/4" using an arbitrary load of 55gr h1000 and 90 grain accubonds. i'm very happy so far, but having such a long barrel sure makes it hard to handle

i'm going to try to round up some better bullets and do some load development
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM

is that a boyds stock? regardless, you will have better luck with tracking and managing that long barrel with another 6 -8" of stock out front, and little beefier. sounds like it's showing promise, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
is that a boyds stock? regardless, you will have better luck with tracking and managing that long barrel with another 6 -8" of stock out front, and little beefier. sounds like it's showing promise, lee
yes it is.

i think the same thing i'd like to find a better stock i'm not a huge fan of this one. it'll be one of those things i keep an eye out for in the future.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:40 PM

It looks great ... and is obviously a shooter. I envy guys that can do their own machining. Good work !
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Banned

What a beauty, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the sightron III too, looks like a winner.

Do you have a pop machine in your garage?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
What a beauty, I've heard nothing but good reviews on the sightron III too, looks like a winner.

Do you have a pop machine in your garage?
a have a couple now and i love them. i'm pretty sure it'll be my next scope too

nope that's a picture of my shop one day i'll have a nice garage
Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 PM

any pics of targets or further updates from load development?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Banned

i think i'm going to order some bullets from dalej

so once i figure to what i want to shoot i'll definitely post it up but it looks like it likes h1000