Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-23-2023, 04:38 PM

Default Rechambering 243 to 303 british

I know there are guys on here in the know, and I have a bit of a weird sense of things in my mind.

I would love to find a ruger no 1 in 303 british, as I just have a thing for that round and a new single shot passion. Seeing the feeding on you tube videos you have to push the round past the "breach" block, I think that is what its called, to make sure the round gets into the chamber as you close the breach.

I also recently purchased a CVA scout v2 in 444 marlin, and it is an easy break open like the old single shot cooey shotguns minus the sending of brass as you break it open. Seems way easier of a way to load the chamber than a No 1. I haven't actually held a no 1 so just going off video's for now.

This has me thinking of the merits of rechambering another cva into 303 british. The barrels are a bit of an odd ball, so it is not like just ordering a new barrel and having it fitted to the receiver.

Could one take a new 243 caliber rifle and have it rechambered to 303 british? Don't know how feasible that would be before I go trying to find a smith that would do this. I know most smiths are crazy busy so I don't want to bother these guys from their work, and well, guys on here have more time to think these things out loud.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 11-23-2023, 04:59 PM

A rebore would be required , not just a rechambering .
Not really cost effective , considering the barrel.
Cat
Old 11-23-2023, 06:14 PM

You could take a rifle chambered for a magnum round and use that. The rim diameter is the same.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
You could take a rifle chambered for a magnum round and use that. The rim diameter is the same.
I can't think of a belted magnum offhand that is as small at the belt as a .303 Brit case is at its base
Also, I am not sure of the initial cost or quality of the CVA scout. Trying to fit a barrel up in .303 British might result I. A very deep money pit!
There are better alternatives for sure, a used 1885 or B78 with a rebarrel , or a #1 as a donor .
A large frame Martini would be another.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-23-2023 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:57 PM

How about a Courtney stalking rifle? Based off 1885 action. Comes in 303 British. Not cheap, but what you want to do won't be either.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...O9PcU0aUrzUAW5
Old 11-23-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
How about a Courtney stalking rifle? Based off 1885 action. Comes in 303 British. Not cheap, but what you want to do won't be either.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...O9PcU0aUrzUAW5
Yup and it's "plug and play", nothing to do but load and fire!.
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 AM

I have found about those Uberti rifles as well. Had a look online of them, and they look promising as well.

Again the most of what is holding me back is the loading of the rifle. It seems like the round has to be almost pushed into the chamber by your finger to get it past the "falling" block to load a round. To me that would seem counter intuitive, but maybe I'm not seeing how "easy" they may be to load.

It seems like a break action to me would be the best outcome.

CVA does also make a 300AAC and a 35 whelen. I'm wondering if those might be more compatible to change over to 303.

Biggest is the 1/8 twist of the 300aac compared to the 1/10 of the 303 brit.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:37 AM

Op, you talked about Ruger #1, its a falling block as well. They are not hard to load at all. You don't have to move rifle off bench to reload.

I have a 1885 in 45-70, new Winchester production. Very easy to use.

303 with 1 in 10 is plenty.

If you want a break action then talk to a gunsmith and get there opinion and rough costs. Compare to stalking rifle and decide. The stalking rifle will hold value more than what you want to do.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I have found about those Uberti rifles as well. Had a look online of them, and they look promising as well.

Again the most of what is holding me back is the loading of the rifle. It seems like the round has to be almost pushed into the chamber by your finger to get it past the "falling" block to load a round. To me that would seem counter intuitive, but maybe I'm not seeing how "easy" they may be to load.

It seems like a break action to me would be the best outcome.

CVA does also make a 300AAC and a 35 whelen. I'm wondering if those might be more compatible to change over to 303.

A falling block is actually faster than a break action due to the nature of its design.
I have used all sorts of single shot rifles since I started hunting in the mid 60's and currently have used my latest Ruger since 2010.
They are a lot faster to load than many people realize , but they tend to make you a better first shot Marksman.
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post

The twist won't be an issue, but the bore diameter versus barrel OD might be.
Thd Whelan is a nogo to redo to .303 because of the case design and caliber size .
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 02:23 PM

Well, seems like I might just have to try and hold out on a needle in a haystack and wait on a 303 No1.

Even buying a standard no 1 and rebarrel into the 303 seems outta reach for costs. Those stainless #1's sure look purdy tho!

Can get a new un touched 450 stainless bushmaster for $2200, but again the barrel work would start running up there. Would be a nice rifle tho.

Then again, I imagine most would want in the $2200-$2600 range for the 303 in blued. Hmmm, maybe a few emails are in order and start getting an actual price on a stainless #1 barrel. Yea I know I'm eccentric, but I's gotta have what I gotta have.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:28 PM

Wallz, if you are going to rebarrel , you may as well look for a beater donor rifle , and change put the wood at the same time
Every now and then you can pick up a 1A or 1b for under $1,500.
Get George at Treebone Carving to ship you up a nice forend and butt stock , and go from there!
Stretch it out over time so the cost is not noticed so much
Talk to Paul at PR Prcision and he may be able to help you .
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 05:00 PM

Thanks Cat.

I might just do that.

Was just reading further into things as well, and supposedly I could get a TC encore barrel made up in 303 brit as well.

I know ultimately it would not be even remotely as refined as a #1 and no where near the pride of a nice #1.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I can't think of a belted magnum offhand that is as small at the belt as a .303 Brit case is at its base
Also, I am not sure of the initial cost or quality of the CVA scout. Trying to fit a barrel up in .303 British might result I. A very deep money pit!
There are better alternatives for sure, a used 1885 or B78 with a rebarrel , or a #1 as a donor .
A large frame Martini would be another.
Cat
What I was referring t was the base of the 303 was the same as most magnums. There wouldnt need to be any bolt modifications.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
What I was referring t was the base of the 303 was the same as most magnums. There wouldnt need to be any bolt modifications.
The original question was for a break action though .
Changing the extractor/ejector on rhd falling bl8cks is not an issue however .
Whichever way the OP goes, it will cost some cash!
Cat
Old 12-01-2023, 04:19 PM

Just figured I would update this in case anyone wants to know, or have future questions and if comes up.

I am working on a stainless ruger #1 deal. Re barrel job won't be too bad of a hit compared to some of my projects in the past.

It does seem like I might have to figure out a magnum ejector to replace the smaller one it will have stock. Working on figuring that out as well.

Trying to decide on future optics as well at this point. Would love to try some thing like this: https://www.nordicmarksman.com/700220-Rear-Sight.html, but just can't find too much info on them yet. 2nd option would be an LPVO 1-10.

Another decision that has come up is the actual chambering. Looking at either the 303 or a 30/303 wildcat for the 30 cal bullet selection possibilities. Looking at a possible Jury barrel. Dang I love fluted barrels, but trying to figure out if a spiral or straight flute could be in the works. Probably go with a threaded end for muzzle brake future as well. Seems like they are capable of some long ranges as well, which has been a bonus to find out. All these things that you can learn when you start down a rabbit hole.

All these decisions!!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:51 PM

.30 Jury barrel and let Paul do his magic with a half round/ octagon in 30/303- or has he calls it, 308 British!! LOL. You could always go nuts and make it an improved as well, but I think Paul would have to buy a reamer for it.
Cat
Old 12-01-2023, 04:52 PM

I normally don't get too excited about custom builds, but this one is really interesting!
Cat
Old 12-01-2023, 05:22 PM

Many years ago I built a 308- 303. All I needed to do was use a 308 dia pilot on my 303 reamer and it worked fine
Old 12-02-2023, 11:05 AM

The anguish in the voice of the fella I talked to on the deal when I told him it is a donor rifle for another caliber was interesting. Seems as though he has had that 204 for a while and only minimal rounds through it.

I might have to buy a pack of 204 ammo if I can find something locally and shoot a few through it, just because. Maybe I'll fall in love with it the way it is and just start looking for another donor. I think in the end when I get my paws on the rifle it might be a start of several caliber offerings in the no 1.

The half octagon and half round might be a nice classic look as well. hmmm.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:38 PM

Mistake#1 :telling tbe swller you are going to use a gun as a donor.
Mistake#2 ; shooting a donor rifle - don't do it!!-(
Cat
Old 12-02-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Mistake#1 :telling tbe swller you are going to use a gun as a donor.
Mistake#2 ; shooting a donor rifle - don't do it!!-(
Cat
Probably right in more ways than one.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:24 AM

Well,

I had a chance to go and shoot the 204 no1 on the weekend. I'm glad I did, as now I get to see first hand that I will need to have a solution for the scope mounting eye relief.

This gives me insight on having the smith, while he is adding the new barrel to work on a proper scope mounting system so I could mount the scope back far enough to get the proper eye relief required.

Loading was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned, but it also brought up the issue of ejected rounds hitting the safety lever as experienced by all the no1 owners. Something else to keep in mind while its at the smiths for the barrel work.

All that said, it was a decent shooting round, and fairly accurate for the quick shooting I did. Now that I'm writing this though, I was wanting to see just how flat of a shooter it was and take it out to 300 m, but I was having so much fun, that totally skipped my mind while I was at the range with it, until just now.

Had a tape measure out on the barrel after the range, and trying to work on new barrel length. Stock is a varmint barrel so the front stock is open a bit wider. Thinking a heavy barrel maybe in 20"-22" max length with threaded end for a brake.

Set on the 30-303 caliber, and just trying to sort out barrel length, and what shape to go with. I am leaning on a heavy stainless spiral fluted barrel right now, but will leave it until spring rolls around and deal with it then.