Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 07:46 AM

F&W Officers WILL charge you if you are on the road side of the fence. To be completely legal you have to be across the fence. I think that is stupid, but that is the way it is.

Read the regs posted above.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That word in red is the one that really matters. If you purposely interfere with a lawful hunt, then you are committing a violation, and you should be charged for doing so. If someone interfered with your lawful hunt because they were making assumptions about what you "might" do , you would likely be very upset about it.
If someone interfered with my lawful hunt to mitigate a potential unsafe act then that would be awesome and welcomed. I have stopped our own hunts when I knew the potential to wound game, not really sure of backdrop (what's over the rise) etc was a possibility and we as a group rethought what was transpiring BUT as indicated this individual was unlawful so in my case had I been there it would have potentially saved an unlawful act.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Authorities were contacted and he was charged along with a second fellow.

Read and follow the regs. Shooting from a busy road with lots of traffic on it.

Illegal and unethical IMO
Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If someone interfered with my lawful hunt to mitigate a potential unsafe act then that would be awesome and welcomed. I have stopped our own hunts when I knew the potential to wound game, not really sure of backdrop (what's over the rise) etc was a possibility and we as a group rethought what was transpiring BUT as indicated this individual was unlawful so in my case had I been there it would have potentially saved an unlawful act.
Any hunt can end up in an unsafe act for many reasons, like you could fall out of a tree stand if you fall asleep or slip, you could trip while walking and have an accidental discharge. Maybe by honking it is you that is creating the unsafe hunt to occur. Best just to obey the law, despite your opinion on what you think someone else should be doing.

Just saying.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah legal but I hate that style so I would have laid on the horn.
And if you did, I'd sure hope to see you charged with interfering with a hunt. I can only hope you were joking with that comment.

Sounds like the Valley Hay land just north of Turner, always a constant circulation of trucks around that land, watching, waiting. I hate that. Once harvested an elk there, but don't even want to go by there now.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam474 View Post

What were they charged with?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
If someone interfered with my lawful hunt to mitigate a potential unsafe act then that would be awesome and welcomed. .
So if I thought you MIGHT turn around and accidntally aim your rifle at someone, and that doubt only has to be in MY mind, I should start laying on my horn? geez
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
F&W Officers WILL charge you if you are on the road side of the fence. To be completely legal you have to be across the fence. I think that is stupid, but that is the way it is.

Yup. It's not that hard. Climb the fence and get yourself on the land you have permission to hunt.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Charged under the wildlife act with discharging a firearm on a road I believe
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Charged under the wildlife act with discharging a firearm on a road I believe
How do you know they were charged?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post

you are correct... you will be charged.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:55 AM

The officer contacted me to follow up
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
The officer contacted me to follow up
It's possible they were just charged with trespassing then?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM

The officer contacted me and said:

"We did charge the person under the Wildlife Act for discharging his firearm on the road"

Even if you have permission you can not fire a rifle from a highway.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So you would interfere with a lawful hunt?
I would 100% interfere with a "lawful" hunt. By the sounds of it there were cars pulled over observing the elk. I would be honking at them to get off the damn roadway. If it interferes with his hunt its just collateral damage
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

"We did charge the person under the Wildlife Act for discharging his firearm on the road"

I have a friend who is a high ranking F&W officer, unless the alleged perp admitted to shooting off the road (from the road surface), it's extremely hard to be charged with it. The same friend told me it is legal to shoot from the fence line. I will admit I never specified which road the fence line was bordering, I'll ask him about it tho.

You left out the part of the story where you seen them shooting then called F&W.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Eww too bad I was not there to honk the horn and stop the so called hunter from discharging his firearm from the road. Would have saved the so called hunter from making a meathead decision...

Also indicated was that these animals were stressed, circling etc NOT what I would call hunting rather harassing.

At the end justice was served!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM

That is a problem area for elk that is why the extra seasons for them there are roads all over the place there as long as you have permission and shoot legally who cares where they shoot from.If nobody takes the elk out of there all you hear is whining from landowners(usually the ones that don't allow hunting) around there about too many elk damaging crops and fences.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Apparently fish and wildlife along with RC's care if you are discharging a high powered rifle from a busy highway. Isn't the extra season primitive weapons too?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Apparently fish and wildlife along with RC's care if you are discharging a high powered rifle from a busy highway. Isn't the extra season primitive weapons too?
The part I don't get is where in the regs it specifies where it's illegal due to the amount of traffic on the road.

I smell something fishy about this whole storey.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 AM

How do you know it's a high powered rifle was he charged with using that weapon in the bow zone.Could be a muzzle loader he had. The guy should have just climbed the fence and all would be legal.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM

discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.

It says nothing about traffic but does state primary or secondary highway. Which this highway is. It also states paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained. Which this highway is.

I agree. All the fellow had to do was jump over the fence and he would have been legal. But that is apparently too much effort
Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The part I don't get is where in the regs it specifies where it's illegal due to the amount of traffic on the road.

I smell something fishy about this whole storey.
The regs say nothing about traffic or busy. It clearly states "from". I know every mile of that highway as I live nearby and travel it frequently. That numbskull deserves to have the book thrown at him. There is nothing fishy about the OP's story as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.

It says nothing about traffic but does state primary or secondary highway. Which this highway is. It also states paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained. Which this highway is.

I agree. All the fellow had to do was jump over the fence and he would have been legal. But that is apparently too much effort
The officer would have to
A) Physically see the perp discharge the firearm illegaly
B) Have the perp admit that they had infact discharged the firearm illegally
C) Have eye witness testimony willing to testify in a court of law

If the officer followed up with you, saying they are being charged under the wildlife act, i find it odd they are not telling you what exactly they are being charged with or asking for a written statement.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying things aren't adding up.

For the record, I do not shoot off of busy highways for the sole reason I don't see the need to ruffle granola munchin tree huggers feathers.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Eww too bad I was not there to honk the horn and stop the so called hunter from discharging his firearm from the road. Would have saved the so called hunter from making a meathead decision...

Also indicated was that these animals were stressed, circling etc NOT what I would call hunting rather harassing.

At the end justice was served!
The ends don't justify the means. My buddy had a guy lay on his horn to disrupt his totally legal hunt this year based on his perception of legalities. Unbelievable. Maybe that was you in 338?
Go canucks though
Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

oh the last day of the hunting season...

if you don't shoot anything you're a bad hunter and you will be ridiculed.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Lawful but bordering on unsafe like I mentioned seen too many of these performances where the game goes across the road and these skilled hunters keep shooting, sometimes these individuals need a reminder of potential unsafe firearms handling etc they get caught up in the kill not the hunt and put the animals at risk of getting wounded and the risk of injuring people...it's just the the whole hype, gotta get a shot that is done is haste with little to know thought of backdrop etc. just my opinion gents.
That a whole lot of conjecture in an attempt to save face....

Quote:

I see the new sheriff is off to roaring start....

The old sheriff used to yell at guys saying " What are you waiting for? Get your guns on the fence and shoot those elk!".

It would be interesting if the recently retired officer for this area was called in to testify at a hearing on these charges. ....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The ends don't justify the means. My buddy had a guy lay on his horn to disrupt his totally legal hunt this year based on his perception of legalities. Unbelievable. Maybe that was you in 338?
Go canucks though
Nope not me sorry...love those Canucks

Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
That a whole lot of conjecture in an attempt to save face....

I see the new sheriff is off to roaring start....

The old sheriff used to yell at guys saying " What are you waiting for? Get your guns on the fence and shoot those elk!".

It would be interesting if the recently retired officer for this area was called in to testify at a hearing on these charges. ....
Walking Buffalo not happy? Sorry to hear but on this forum as in many others opinions are meant to be expressed.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Walking Buffalo not happy? Sorry to hear but on this forum as in many others opinions are meant to be expressed.
Yup, I am not happy when people make unsubstantiated claims putting hunters into a bad light, especially when they do this simply to save face from thier own dumb comment.

You have no idea if there was anything unsafe with the event being discussed. You should be ashamed for saying it was....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."