Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 PM

Default early season burbs

im not looking for info into specific lake. this is more of a general question. I normally only find time to go out late in feb and march and I know targeting burbs that time of year is much different than early ice season. That being said, what should I be looking for in terms of depth or structure. Are they just spread out everywhere? Or should I still focus on my usual spots?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 AM

I am only guessing here but if Whitefish are spawning wouldn't Burbot be after there eggs in the evening/night?

I know in the Spring, it is an excellent time for Whitefish, Pike and Burbot because of their spawn.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Burbs

Fish go where the food is and with the whitefish spawn yes burbots will be in the shallows but mainly at low light conditions so fishing the shallows, from sun down to sun up is best for Burbot till about mid January then when they start their spawn they are there at any time till late march.
Remember they are a predatory fish so aggressive bottom bouncing, with large Glow spoons or jigs works awesome also use fresh bait...(Everyone says use old smelly bait but whats more attractive to you, Fresh pizza? or 2 week old pizza?)

Make sure your hook is on bottom or as close as can be and the burbot will come along and bump it with its barb under its chin to "smell it" eventually it will suck it in, personally i catch majority of my ling on tip-ups.

i usually try and target areas where i know i have caught them before, and seem to have decent luck, also they tend to school up so if you catch one, get that hook down fast cause often a second or third one near by.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
Fish go where the food is and with the whitefish spawn yes burbots will be in the shallows but mainly at low light conditions so fishing the shallows, from sun down to sun up is best for Burbot till about mid January then when they start their spawn they are there at any time till late march.
Remember they are a predatory fish so aggressive bottom bouncing, with large Glow spoons or jigs works awesome also use fresh bait...(Everyone says use old smelly bait but whats more attractive to you, Fresh pizza? or 2 week old pizza?)

Make sure your hook is on bottom or as close as can be and the burbot will come along and bump it with its barb under its chin to "smell it" eventually it will suck it in, personally i catch majority of my ling on tip-ups.

i usually try and target areas where i know i have caught them before, and seem to have decent luck, also they tend to school up so if you catch one, get that hook down fast cause often a second or third one near by.
Good Info but burbs prefer older stinky bait.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM

I had good luck earlier this week fishing near a known whitefish spawn bed. 15 FOW. Stir the mud up a little by bouncing your jig head off the bottom ten let it sit, repeat every 5 mins....and get up early, 4 am seemed to be the Magic hour.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippered View Post
Good Info but burbs prefer older stinky bait.
Try it with fresh bait on 1 hook and stinky crap on another. I think you will change your mind.