Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 PM

Default Great Day Fishing

Went out today to do some fishing. Met up with a buddy at the river, he was hoping to catch his first bull trout so he was starting off with a spinning reel. I was determined to only fish flies I had tied myself so I stuck with the fly rod. Picked out the flies and made my way to stream side.

Few minutes in and caught my first whitefish. Then another. I look up and see my buddy fighting his own fish. Turns out to be his first ever bully.
I have to admit, I was green with envy. Took me mere minutes to take out some streamers and try my luck ... ... ... of which there was zero.

We soon decided to move on and try another spot.

Some searching of deadend roads and private property signs trying to get to a place we seen on the map. On the way out to the main road we found another promising spot to try.

I decided to try my spinning gear this time and get my first Bull Trout too. Within a few casts I had one on the line, got the photos taken and released it back into the river.

With that accomplished I went back to the car for my fly rod and thought I would try the same spot again. I waded around to my good side and start casting.
I looked away for a second and turn back to my indicator no where in sight so I set the hook, dead stop. Thought I was caught on a rock, but then there was a little wiggle, then she took off.

Figured out pretty quick it was a decent fish so I made my way closer to my net the fish taking line the whole time from the nice smooth drag. Trust me at that moment I was so happy to have this new reel and I hadn't even seen the fish yet.

Eventually I got her close enough to see what I was dealing with and I thought I should try and give a shout to my fishing partner to see if he would be up for netting duties, but there was no way I was shouting over the sound of the water so I figured I would just do my best and see what happens.

I was actually doing pretty good I must say when I heard a splash and looked down to see my reel had fallen off into the water. I scrambled to grab it and re-attach it before something horrible happened, but since this is a happy story I was able to get it attached and tightened before she decided to takeoff in the opposite direction.

The next step was getting this fish into the net. Luckily I had recently started a thread on here looking for netting tips ... honestly in the moment I couldn't really remember anything, so I just "calmly" worked her in close enough to attempt something. A few screams of the drag later I had my chance. I turned her upstream with tension working her in closer and was planning on releasing some of the tension and having the current do the work, but that's not how it went down. I ended up having to put the net in at quite an angle and I was not really prepared for the drag of the current, it ended up moving the net to an angle instead of being perpendicular to the fish and I only got the tail in the net. For and instant I wanted to drop the rod and scoop for all my worth hoping to get under her, but cooler heads prevailed and I told my self I would have another chance.

Sure enough a couple minutes later I had just that. I waded out to be almost directly down stream and tried the same trick with the tension except this time when she turned down stream I was able to put my net directly in front of the fish and she went in head first.

Hallel-freaken-ujah

I worked my way down to bend so I can get the attention of the "photographer" and get her back on her way.

We took the hook out and got a couple pics all while in the water. She decided to hang out recovering for a bit and just as we were starting to get a little worried about her maybe getting picked off by a predator if she didn't return to deeper water she took off downstream.

I must say that was the best I have ever felt fishing.

I tied the fly myself
Netted the fish alone
Got photos to prove it all happened
And released her back into the river.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Good on ya! Most of us are done fishing and are bow hunting etc
I was going to say pics or it didn't happen!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Sweet, great story and awesome pictures.

BW
Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 AM

Here's to ya. Great read.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Nice bull and story . Leave that spin rod at home next time it's just a distraction! Lol jk I might head out today but the roads are terrible
Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 AM

Nice Bully Mill!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 AM

Really enjoyed the story and pics alot. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Congrats - beauty fish!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Cheers
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Nice bull and story . Leave that spin rod at home next time it's just a distraction! Lol jk I might head out today but the roads are terrible
Usually I do, I have really come to enjoy fly fishing. I just didn't think I had a chance to catch a bull trout on a nymph. All I can think is that I must have drifted it right into her mouth lol.

I need more practice casting heavier flies all kinds of weird things were happening to the line when I was trying earlier that day.

That species has been checked off the list ... next year I am going to have to do some serious hiking to get the other ones off the list
Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I was actually doing pretty good I must say when I heard a splash and looked down to see my reel had fallen off into the water. ]
This is your NEW reel???? wow. Or did you just not tighten it up when you put it on?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This is your NEW reel???? wow. Or did you just not tighten it up when you put it on?
Yeah must not have had the reel seat "nut" tight enough ... trust me its tight now.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Great story. Congrats on the fish!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 PM

You're improving, good work!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Usually I do, I have really come to enjoy fly fishing. I just didn't think I had a chance to catch a bull trout on a nymph. All I can think is that I must have drifted it right into her mouth lol.

I need more practice casting heavier flies all kinds of weird things were happening to the line when I was trying earlier that day.

That species has been checked off the list ... next year I am going to have to do some serious hiking to get the other ones off the list
Yeah I caught some on some nymphs too usually big stonefly nymphs I don't think it's a mistake tho I'm pretty sure it's on their menu they are still trout haha.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 AM

Depending on river a dead drifted stone will catch bulls....especially on the Wigwam
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 PM

18" Bull on #18 phesant tail nymph on a 2wt. You can catch bulls on nymphs. Make it easy and they will eat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1470786209166.jpg (62.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:10 PM

Beauty. I still have a chance.