Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 PM

Question remington 700 xcr accuracy issues

hey everyone i got a xcr in a 7mm rem mag and i can not get it to group for anything, ive tried countless brands of ammunition through it and it shoots good for two shots than the next two are almost off the paper, ive tried two scopes and the one is brand new nikon, anyone own one of these rifles can you slip a bill down the barrel in between the stock cause this one i cant maybe thats the issue who knows can any one help me thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 07:53 PM

The rifle will be pressure bedded. The stock is putting uneven pressure somewhere.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Time for a deep socket and some sand paper.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM

so should i be able to slip a bill in between it
Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Time for a deep socket and some sand paper.
No. the pressure points will or should have the barrel centered in the barrel channel. Bed the action with that pressure point in there. Make sure there is enough play in the rear guard screw hole and the rear of the recoil lug. If there is no pressure there the bedding will align the action properly and once cured remove the pressure bumps and you will have a floated barrel.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 10-19-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
No. the pressure points will or should have the barrel centered in the barrel channel. Bed the action with that pressure point in there. Make sure there is enough play in the rear guard screw hole and the rear of the recoil lug. If there is no pressure there the bedding will align the action properly and once cured remove the pressure bumps and you will have a floated barrel.
you lost me lol,like when i squeeze my barrel and fore end of the stock theres nothing for movement and i cant slip no paper in between,
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned

If it doesn't shoot and you aren't familiar with accurizing a Remington, take it to a gunsmith. It will likely need a bedding/free float job as well as a trigger job. The xcr's are great rifles minus the plastic stock. I have one in 30-06 that shoots very well after it was "accurized".
Old 10-19-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlsfishtoo View Post
you lost me lol,like when i squeeze my barrel and fore end of the stock theres nothing for movement and i cant slip no paper in between,
Most factory rems have a preasure point at the front of the barrel channel you should not be able to get a bill through. Have the action bedded properly then remove the pressure point to get a free float is what chuck is telling you
Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 PM

I have an XCR. The early model with black stock and grey rubber moldings. Had same questions about the pressure points. Several others like chuck has said to leave them. That's what I did. I was getting shotgun type patterns with my groups shooting 165gr Hornady GMX. I ended up going to the factory load Winchester Power Point 180gr. Within 6 shots had it where I wanted it.
Sounds like you have tried that route by changing ammunition.
I also had another fellow tell me he had a Model 700 that actually required more pressure on the barrel and adding a shim if some sort straightened his out.( don't lynch me, that's what worked for him)

Ultimately chucks scenario is the best situation.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 PM

Have you tried someone else behind the trigger? I usually blame myself before I blame the rifle... one of the few times I'm happy to be wrong

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 PM

You folks who know this model 700 xcr is it an issue with the rifle or isolated problems ?
I was thinking of this model for my son for Xmas but I may rethink.

TBark
Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM

I struggled with getting good combination for reloading. I'm sure there's a combo that would work. But then I tried some factory loads and had results. When I figured the $/shot for factory vs the reloads I had it didn't pay to reload.

If anything to change it would be the trigger. Breaks at a real good 5 1/2 pounds.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
You folks who know this model 700 xcr is it an issue with the rifle or isolated problems ?
I was thinking of this model for my son for Xmas but I may rethink.

TBark

It's a fairly common issue with any rifle that uses a pressure point. In most cases , bedding the action and floating the barrel reduces the issue, but in some cases, especially with light contour barrels, the rifles shoot better with a pressure point.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Banned

I have never had a gun shoot consistently better with a pressure point.
Of the 5 lightweight rem 700 mountain rifles I have, all shoot sub moa bedded and free floated.
A rifle requiring a pressure point is in my opinion a recipe for inconsistency.

Tbark A rem 700, old or new, is a great rifle for your son. A new stainless mountain rifle would be what I would look at for your boy.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:05 AM

Shim
Shoot
andSee

There are no absolutes
Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I have never had a gun shoot consistently better with a pressure point.
Of the 5 lightweight rem 700 mountain rifles I have, all shoot sub moa bedded and free floated.
A rifle requiring a pressure point is in my opinion a recipe for inconsistency.

Tbark A rem 700, old or new, is a great rifle for your son. A new stainless mountain rifle would be what I would look at for your boy.
I purchased a used Vanguard MOA in 7mmremmag for a great price, and it shot just under moa, but the factory bedding compound came loose when I removed the action from the stock. I bedded the action and floated the barrel, and the best that the rifle would do afterward was around 1-1/4moa. I added in a small pressure point using bedding compound, and the rifle then averaged around 3/4moa..I don't like pressure points myself, but that rifle did shoot better with the pressure point than without it.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

It sounds like your bedding job was ineffective. Not all bedding jobs are created equal but if done right, will be more consistent then pressure points IMO.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 AM

I have a 6.5 -06 Rem 700 in a boyds thumbhole,I bedded the action and first bit of the barrel and shot it for quite a while and was happy with it, then Ron Smith told me to try the pressure point at front of stock , it did tighten my groups a little.
I have another 700 that is mounted in a XCR stock and they are flimsy,I filled in the area under the barrel with fiberglass and bedded and free floated barrel and it shoots great now.I tried the pressure point on it and it got worse.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
It sounds like your bedding job was ineffective. Not all bedding jobs are created equal but if done right, will be more consistent then pressure points IMO.
There was nothing wrong with the bedding job, I am not the only person to discover that certain rifles do shoot better with a pressure point. In general, floating the barrel usually improves the accuracy, or at least doesn't cause it to degrade, but like most generalizations, there are exceptions. But I do agree that a fully floated barrel is going to be more consistent in varying conditions.

Quote:
I have a 6.5 -06 Rem 700 in a boyds thumbhole,I bedded the action and first bit of the barrel and shot it for quite a while and was happy with it, then Ron Smith told me to try the pressure point at front of stock , it did tighten my groups a little.
Another exception. If the exceptions did not occur, why would someone like Ron Smith, that is very knowledgeable on the topic suggest installing a pressure point?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info people, Is there anyway to get that barrel up off the stock fore end they say that's how's it's designed but I don't like it, and I forgot to mention that the barrel gets really hot after 5 shots or so and about after 3 is when it starts flinging them, I was shooting some partitions and I put 3 holes inside of one and grouped decent, but I'm in love with the Barnes ttsx but one the weekend I tried sighting it in with 150gr Barnes and the first three were decent was happy shot twice more and they flung about 5inches so I can't really gain trust on this gun yet
Old 10-20-2016, 08:47 PM

I knocked the pressure point out of mine and its a shooter.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info people, Is there anyway to get that barrel up off the stock fore end they say that's how's it's designed but I don't like it, and I forgot to mention that the barrel gets really hot after 5 shots or so and about after 3 is when it starts flinging them, I was shooting some partitions and I put 3 holes inside of one and grouped decent, but I'm in love with the Barnes ttsx but one the weekend I tried sighting it in with 150gr Barnes and the first three were decent was happy shot twice more and they flung about 5inches so I can't really gain trust on this gun yet
There is nothing to be gained by shooting five shot groups with a sporter weight barrel on a 7mmremmag. All that you will accomplish by heating the barrel up that much, is to shorten the life of the barrel.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
See my post about SSS.

Don't go messing with irreversible stuff, till you determine what your gremlin is.

Stick with 3 shot groups too....it's a hunting rifle not a varmint or match rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-20-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Stick with the partition and stop shooting 5 shot groups there rifle fixed
Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 PM

I have worked with so many dozens of rifles that I've completely lost count. But I haven't lost count of the ones that have shot better with a pressure point. They are exactly zero. Or let me put it this way. A five inch pressure bedded gun won't shoot six free floated.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I have worked with so many dozens of rifles that I've completely lost count. But I haven't lost count of the ones that have shot better with a pressure point. They are exactly zero. Or let me put it this way. A five inch pressure bedded gun won't shoot six free floated.
How many did you actually compare floated vs. Forend pessure? What methods did you use for adding pressure?

I've played around a bit just for you the sake of knowing and have added pressure and made a good shooting rifle shoot poorly, have had it make zero difference whatsoever (less than an inch in POI change even) and have in one case seen light forend pressure make an OK shooter a great shooter. Have tried devcon and RTV silicone as pressure pads. The current one that performed notably better is done with RTV....

Given a rigid stock I am quite OK with forend bedding. One of these days I'll dabble a bit with full length bedding just to scratch some itches.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:13 AM

Id say those fliers are due to the barrel heating up. I read an article a while back on how off the shelf rifle barrels. Rarely will they be drilled perfectly even in the middle of the barrel. What happens when you fire enough rounds and it heats up is you get uneven heat expansion in the barrel. Which even though might be only off by a few thousandths will nevertheless cause a shift in poi. My Tikka shots amazingly consistent near half moa for 3 rounds. But especially when it was hot out it would throw flyers after 3 shots. I quickly learned that this is just a sporter barrel. Not made for pumping out round after round. And in 7mmmag that barrel will heat up pretty darn quick.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 AM
Banned

MY comments:

1. Slipping a currency bill under the barrel is hardly a good means of determining adequate float. A thicker gap is required, the likes of at least a business card.

2. Removing a factory installed pressure point isn't irreversible, nor scary. If removing it proves to make matters worse, it can be epoxied back in using Acraglass or other materials. And it can be done under controlled conditions, such a a 5lb or an 8lb pressure point.

3. Shooting 5 shots out of a 7RM until the barrel gets too hot is a recipe for failure. The first 2 shots out of that gun are the most meaningful. After that, it's a spray gun.

4. The trigger pull could be an issue, but the float and bedding are far more condusive to tighter groups. Even a 5 lb trigger can produce adequate results if one is aware that the trigger is heavy.

5. And then of course there is shooter error. Shooting a light rifle chambered in 7RM, the shooter might be anticipating a beating and develop a flinch.

Personally, I would tune the gun and loads until it can put 2 shots very close to each other. Allow ample cooling time for it to return to ambient and repeat a 2 shot string. If the gun is capable of putting 2 shot strings in the same place on target, call it a day and go hunting.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
How many did you actually compare floated vs. Forend pessure? What methods did you use for adding pressure?

I've played around a bit just for you the sake of knowing and have added pressure and made a good shooting rifle shoot poorly, have had it make zero difference whatsoever (less than an inch in POI change even) and have in one case seen light forend pressure make an OK shooter a great shooter. Have tried devcon and RTV silicone as pressure pads. The current one that performed notably better is done with RTV....

Given a rigid stock I am quite OK with forend bedding. One of these days I'll dabble a bit with full length bedding just to scratch some itches.
There have been more than a few. The results with pressure have never been consistent. Usually you have someone or a rifle that shot a couple of good groups that can't be replicated or off the bags shoots like dog crap. How many bench rest guns are bedded with pressure? IMO when you have a barrel that needs pressure to shoot you have a bad barrel. And that includes ones of diminutive contour.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
There have been more than a few. The results with pressure have never been consistent. Usually you have someone or a rifle that shot a couple of good groups that can't be replicated or off the bags shoots like dog crap. How many bench rest guns are bedded with pressure? IMO when you have a barrel that needs pressure to shoot you have a bad barrel. And that includes ones of diminutive contour.
I won't argue that there are likely issues with a rifle when it requires a pressure point to shoot it's best, and for that reason, I sold the rifle that I had to put a pressure pad on. However, that doesn't change the fact that some rifles do shoot their best with a pressure pad installed.