Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Default Netting Tips

This is my first year fly fishing and with that first time fishing on a river. I am curious the best way to utilize your net.

Most recently I have been nymphing some fairly deep water. Having my full 9 foot leader and then a couple flies below that, (up to probably 12' of leader) and a new Zealand style indicator 6-12" from my main fly line.

I have been simply walking backwards and fighting the fish till it is on shore. I know this is probably not the best for the fish so I would like to learn proper netting techniques.
Seems mathematically impossible to hold your rod high enough and extend the net far enough to scoop the little suckers up.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 AM

never heard of a new zealand type .anyways get a cheap very useful Phil Rowley slip indicator
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 AM

The indicator is not the problem. www.strikeindicator.com check it out.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
The indicator is not the problem. www.strikeindicator.com check it out.
In my short time fly fishing, I've found that airlocks, or yarn, or any other fixed type of indicator will make landing a fish on a longer deeply-fished leader a challenge. You can only raise your rod tip so high and put your hand so far behind your back before you are tempted to grab onto the leader at the end of things to steer the fish to your net. That's fine for small fish, but bound to cause breakoffs in fish of any significant size. When I'm stillwater fishing with long leaders (12-15' range), I tend to use the Rowley-type quick release indicator as well. In moving water, I tend to use yarn, as it's pretty rare that I'm ever in water deep enough to put my indicator that far away from the end of the line to cause a challenge.

That all said, here's a short video that I think is pretty good... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMeuB5QAV8
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
In my short time fly fishing, I've found that airlocks, or yarn, or any other fixed type of indicator will make landing a fish on a longer deeply-fished leader a challenge. You can only raise your rod tip so high and put your hand so far behind your back before you are tempted to grab onto the leader at the end of things to steer the fish to your net. That's fine for small fish, but bound to cause breakoffs in fish of any significant size. When I'm stillwater fishing with long leaders (12-15' range), I tend to use the Rowley-type quick release indicator as well. In moving water, I tend to use yarn, as it's pretty rare that I'm ever in water deep enough to put my indicator that far away from the end of the line to cause a challenge.

That all said, here's a short video that I think is pretty good... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMeuB5QAV8
I believe I have tried those indicators too ... took me 5 minutes to get frustrated with the premature line releases that I went back to the yarn.

I kind of figured that I would have to change something in my rigging and there wasn't simply a technique to magically net fish.

I would need longer arms or a longer net with the current length of my leader and preferred strike indicator.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM

There are a few ways to land a fish when fishing a long leader. I will often fish 12 to 16 foot leaders on spooky trout. you can learn to fish without an indicator so you can reel your leader in to get the fish close (there was a time when there was no such thing as indicators and we nymphed with a tight line).

Easiest is to fish with a buddy and let him handle the net.

One is to keep the trouts head up, slightly out of water, as you bring it in, dropping your rod and extending you net at the last minute will usually keep the momentum of the fish up to slide it close to you and into the net.

Another is to grab the leader with a couple of fingers of your rod hand as it comes toward you shortening the distance to the net. You need to do this in a smooth motion.

Last is to use a net that has a longer handle like the Fishpond Nomad which I really like. Makes it easier to reach out instead of bending over.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-24-2016, 02:42 PM

Longer handle nets make it easier to net.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 AM

When landing a fish, do not put the rod and arm straight up, this is called high sticking and is a good way to break a rod. Rather hold your rod at a 45 degree angle while extending your arm out to your side. Now turn your body sideways towards your rod. This will slide the fish right up against your body. To net the fish release the line tension by turning back to fish as you scoop the net under it. Conversely if you do not wish to use the net, you can use to your free hand to cradle the fish or just trap the fish against your leg.

Last edited by Pikebreath; 10-25-2016 at 10:58 AM.