Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Is this the end?

Weather taken a nasty turn here. Is this the end of the season for the Edmonton area potholes. Just when the action was really starting up again after a weird September.

Had a 15 fish day on Star Lake on Monday with some really big strong fish, but now...?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Hardwater is on its way I'd say! I'm sure the NSR will have a decent amount of ice free days now. Potholes, not sure
Old 10-08-2016, 10:00 AM

How was the fishing for you in September? I found it tougher than usual.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvisman View Post
How was the fishing for you in September? I found it tougher than usual.
I find September always hot-n-cold. I had insanely good days, and a few rotten, which I find on par.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Weather taken a nasty turn here. Is this the end of the season for the Edmonton area potholes. Just when the action was really starting up again after a weird September.

Had a 15 fish day on Star Lake on Monday with some really big strong fish, but now...?
I think its pretty much done.

Oh well, early tying season. I've been tying some real ugly flies to post.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM

There are no ugly flies, just those which would be unlikely to be bought if in a bin at a fly shop.

Yeah, September was off and on this year compared to last year, maybe trout have good memories?
Old 10-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Its definitely not done. You wont find things start to really shut down until you start getting multiple days of -2 as a high.

Bundle up, fish between 11-4pm. The fish will be packing on the feed bag in different depths assuming fall turnover has occurred. Presentations need to be slow, almost dead slow, but its the best time of year for the biggest trout in the lake. On streams, find wintering pools and nymph in that same 11-4pm time frame. You'll clean up.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Its definitely not done. You wont find things start to really shut down until you start getting multiple days of -2 as a high.

Bundle up, fish between 11-4pm. The fish will be packing on the feed bag in different depths assuming fall turnover has occurred. Presentations need to be slow, almost dead slow, but its the best time of year for the biggest trout in the lake. On streams, find wintering pools and nymph in that same 11-4pm time frame. You'll clean up.
This is also a great time of year for pike. They are a little moodier compared to spring, but the big pike will move into shallower water and start feeding fairly voraciously.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Braved the snow saturday morning for 3 1/2 hours, glad i did, 13 fish between 8 and 19 inches on a black leech
Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
Braved the snow saturday morning for 3 1/2 hours, glad i did, 13 fish between 8 and 19 inches on a black leech
Color me "green" with envy. Nice.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:12 PM

I was lucky enough to have the time to get out for a few hours on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon with good results.

Balanced leech under an indicator and chucking big weighted leech patterns worked best.

Our pontoon and belly boats might be done for the year but it ain't over for me till the ice is too hard to smash through with the old tinner cuz' ice fishing just ain't the same as chucking flies.

There have been a few broken paddles in the past from breaking thin ice but Winter is too long to give up easily.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM

Don't forget, still two weeks left for the streams and creeks. Heading up to the LSR next week for the annual Grayling pilgrimmage.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
I was lucky enough to have the time to get out for a few hours on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon with good results.

Balanced leech under an indicator and chucking big weighted leech patterns worked best.

Our pontoon and belly boats might be done for the year but it ain't over for me till the ice is too hard to smash through with the old tinner cuz' ice fishing just ain't the same as chucking flies.

There have been a few broken paddles in the past from breaking thin ice but Winter is too long to give up easily.

And you don't have to worry about the leak in your boat 'cause the hole is full of ice!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
And you don't have to worry about the leak in your boat 'cause the hole is full of ice!
Lol.
Unfortunately the snow and ice didn't plug up the leak.

You know how it is when there is time to fix the boat I could fishing.

A guy has to have priorities!