Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 PM

Default First fly rod recomendations for salmon/steelhead

Hey Guys,

So my wife finally convinced me to make the move to her hometown of Campbell River. We were lucky enough to get a home right on the river a couple of kms up from the sea. So as a result and in order to take full advantage of the property I think I need to get a bit more serious about fly fishing. I have done a bit in the past but really had no idea what I was doing, I figure im gonna take some lessons and learn things properly.

Now before I leave my work I want to burn up some Wellness credits that I have left over. Now the advice im looking for, and im sure its a tough one to answer l but, I want to buy my first fly rod that will work for Salmon and steelhead. What weight do you think would be a good starter but also last me for a while?

Thanks for any help you can provide
Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 AM

First question what body of water as the Campbell will need a different rod from the quinsam
I have a 6 weight switch for quinsam
And a 8 weight Spey for the Campbell
So your question is a tough one
Spring salmon I use my Spey and big rivers for steelhead
Beaches for pinks and coho I use my 6 weight switch
Message me if need more info
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM

A few km up from the sea the river isn't very wide so you really don't need to cast very far, as far as i know its generally a small river. A single handed rod should be fine.

There are many types of salmon that run through the river so one fly rod isn't going to work all the time.

For the smaller salmon (pink, chun, coho, sockeye) an 9 foot 8wt will be fine, I've seen some guys even use 6wts but I really don't recommend it especially if you are new to fly fishing and are catching and releasing. For the chinooks you'll need something bigger like a 10wt or an 11wt.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
A few km up from the sea the river isn't very wide so you really don't need to cast very far, as far as i know its generally a small river. A single handed rod should be fine.

I live out here and I fish all these rivers out here and out of my expiernce u need more then one rod as the rivers change out here from size to flow. The Campbell even the fly fishing section is big enough u can't cast across if they open the dam the current is fast up there. The pink salmon this year were to big for my 6 weight switch I had to use my 8 weight Spey. Fishing the Campbell with a single handed rod u need a 10 foot 8 weight at least with a reel with a good drag system
U cannot fish out here with just one rod and be successful doesn't mean u can't catch fish
Rivers like Campbell u need a different rod from the quinsam or if u r beach fishing
Smaller rods kill fish every pound of fish rule of thumb one minute of playing him won't harm him usually

I foul hooked a few pinks in the tail this year, thank god I was using my Spey, a single handed smaller rod wouldn't have work
Old 10-28-2016, 12:51 AM

Also dole out the money for a quality reel. May want to have two reels especially if you fish the saltwater. A good disc drag reel, will give you many years of use and pleasure while fishing for steelhead and salmon. Stay away from any reel that has plastic parts in it, otherwise it will be trashed the first day you hook into a salmon.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:22 AM

Buy a 2 or 4 piece 7 wt you like and can afford and be done with it - don't make the common mistake of getting way, way too technical with rod weights and actions. Avoid the cheap $#@ like Echo or Cortland; spend at least $200 and you'll be find. For reels, the best value out there (if you can find one) is the Sage 2270. Put your effort into learning flies, casting and reading the water. (Spey rods? don't even go there.) That stuff matters a whole lot less than the retailers, magazine articles and advertising boilerplate would have you believe. If possible, take your lessons before you buy the rod.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 AM

I heard you say rod (not rods) so suggest you go with an 9 ft 8 wt which will do fine for most of the river and beach fishing.

I used an Orvis 8wt Clearwater out there with good success. If you hook a large spring (chinook) or foul hook a chum, don't risk breaking the rod; just point the rod at the fish for an efficient break off (flies and a bit of leader are cheaper than a new rod).
Old 10-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I heard you say rod (not rods) so suggest you go with an 9 ft 8 wt which will do fine for most of the river and beach fishing.

I used an Orvis 8wt Clearwater out there with good success. If you hook a large spring (chinook) or foul hook a chum, don't risk breaking the rod; just point the rod at the fish for an efficient break off (flies and a bit of leader are cheaper than a new rod).
He is looking for advice for the Campbell river a single handed rod won't cut it as u will be roll casting mostly. A 11 foot 8 weight switch rod is more suited to the river. I use my Spey Rod on the Campbell but a switch rod will. BE fine
Old 10-28-2016, 07:48 PM

cant go wrong with 10' 8wt. Handle anything just fine. Versitip system, and you're set up for the island.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
cant go wrong with 10' 8wt. Handle anything just fine. Versitip system, and you're set up for the island.
He's only going to be fishing Campbell river he will do better with a switch rod
Especially for the salmon(springs)
As
Old 10-29-2016, 09:18 AM

My go to rod used to be my 7wt Winston boron that I've used from Vancouver island to the east coast for Atlantic's. two years ago I bought an 8 wt switch rod on the recommendation of numerous fly fishers on the island. It's the one I use the most now. There's so many times when you've got the bank right behind you and the cast has to go across the river that the switch works perfectly. Ive been in those situations most of the time on the campbell, somass and Eve rivers. And when you are on the beach making long casts, it's much less tiring.