Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 09:31 PM

I've always had atleast 1 .30-06 around and I do most my killing with a .30-06 however I don't particularly like the chambering... I think a .308 makes a lot more sense. Typically lighter, less recoil, ballistics really aren't far behind if half a thought is given to power/bullet/loads...good brass is widely available for both and both will happily digest a variety of powders if need be, so that's good.

Who knows, maybe when all my R-P .30-06 brass is finished and all my H4350 is gone, I'll move on...
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM

I kinda "waffled" a few times on and off on the caliber of choosing, but it will work out one way or the other.

My flip flop took me from 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmore, 308 winchester, 7mm long and short mag, and started thinking 6mm/243 one more time.

Mostly looking at normal cartrages as a own 1 rifle less the 22 and 12 gauge thing.

The old school Odd-6 is alot of fire power for coyotes, but it fits the deer and Elk category pretty good, hope that I get a chance to go after the Arizona wild boars with friends down there next year.

Old school will work on long distance target shooting too since the 30 caliber round has a massive selection of match grade bullets too choose form, around a 100 plus if I recall, pretty sure I'll end-up in the 165 or 175 grain hunting bullets for the critter stuff.

As time goes by I can lighten the size of bullet with age, Ha.

As I mentioned in earlier post that I fun shoot only, it allows me extra things too occupy my time since I'm not a TV fellow, I enjoy reading, visiting, quading, sight seeing, boating a bit and camping in the mountains,,, pretty much spend half my year in the Americas out-back away from man kind.

Glad to of found this forum as the fishing thing is going to be part of the plan.

Any-who, an idea like this comes too a few of us that slowly scale back, it can be any caliber of one's own choosing at the sport they take on.

Mine just happens to be the Odd-6 since it was my first game cartrage that I owned new back in the day.

Simple has worked well for me, so no need to push the limits beyond that I figured.

Don
Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Don,
I agree with your reasoning. I have owned and shot game with most of the common Calibre designations between the 6 mms and the 300 mags. All of them seemed to work well for me. The caliber I chose for this year worked well so will probably be the one for next season but am sure glad that it will be my decision. Good luck to you and happy shooting with your new or old odd six.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM

Smile

Not to let this 30-06 thread die, I'm thinking about getting the 'Howa' name buffed off my rifle's floorplate and 'Hand of God' inscribed instead...
Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLT View Post
Not to let this 30-06 thread die, I'm thinking about getting the 'Howa' name buffed off my rifle's floorplate and 'Hand of God' inscribed instead...
Everyone has a weak spot and gets off the road at some point ....
Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Today the 1 target, silhouette, game harvest rifle idea is a reality.

Photos soon too follow.

The Magnum locker is now empty as it becomes the new non-power house "standard old school" of good times where it all started.

Funny that I went from standard to magnums, then switched back and forth a few times till I settled in on the power house idea.

I had some good times with a few of these beasts, lots of time delivering the mail, and burning gun powder too see how much punch I could send down field.

It became a fad that consumed my funds and time more than anything, but over the years I drifted away from iron silhouette shooting... Then 3 years ago my long time friend got the iron targets out for good times.

Purhaps this is why change is coming into play, that and the practical aspects of not getting kicked in the shoulder in some of these shoots.

So today we head too the Eastern Slopes of Alberta too check things out, dial in our sights and launch some tame bullets down range in the sport of good times.

Photos too follow in days too come as I get back to basics that "hopefully" won't wear me down threw the day.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-22-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Banned

read this thread and thought I should take the time to add my support for your reasoning............

first rifle I ever bought was a .270 savage, back in 1964. over the years I've owned about every calibre there is at one time or other, but in recent years the novelty has worn off and I get little satisfaction from looking at 25 guns in my cabinet (sure used to though!)

anyway, I sold a bunch and gave the left overs to my son (including that original .270 savage).

today there's lots of room in my cabinet and the only big game gun in there is a new t3 in .270............I don't see anything walking that I can't knock down with the .270. last fall took a bull elk @ 400 yds and he couldn't tell whether he was shot with a .270 or something else!

this new attitude may not be right for everyone, but I can identify with it and think the odd six is a fine choice for you and your one gun decision.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:09 PM

I hear yha SSH.

At times we have way too much stuff, and getting out the door is hard to do when we open the door of firearms glory. Ha.

Of course we'd have our game plan thought out, but for some reason we are pron too second guess the other beautiful rifles that could substitute for a outing.
At least for me that is.

Any-who, the weather was raining, snowing and darn chilly as it adds too the good times. No big deal since enjoyment of just being out side is better than any day thinking about it.

The new too me Odd-6 was spot on accurate, but middle age Don was a bit out of practice. LOL

First time ever shooting a Ruger, and it fits the feel of my Remington / Parker Hail kind-of
At first the laminated wood stock felt big and bulky, but after a few placement warm up shots I took on the free hand thing.

24" barrel and weight factor keeps it on target, well balanced, and the 4 1/2 too 7 lb trigger pull is ok.
Even better with thick leather gloves on.

I was thinking a few days ago about a after market trigger for the Ruger M77 Mark II, but it ain't going to happen since this rifle comes factory ready too harvest and silhouette shoot.
It could be a match grade unit with some funds invest and time fiddle farting around, but why bother as it will do what I need it too do from 70 too 140 yards easy for the critter stuff.

I won't know till latter on how it plays out in iron target shooting till I launch a few more rounds.

It's too easy getting use too this trigger as it has built in creep too the wall, and a consistent let-off point.

Yes that the Muser bolt is not silky smooth, but I set my mind too fast hard full length jacking and it cycles like nothing. "No lully gagging getts'er done.

It ain't the best of the best, nor is it the worst of nothing as it fits me like a glove.

My long time friend hardly even used it, and he kept it in mint condition knowing it was not for him.
Not sure what made him think of me last year, but being a left hand unit might be part of it.

More too come as I volley some rounds down range, paper and iron as I heat temp the barrle too find out if it stays on track.

Tomorrow is 22 caliber time since we need too make sure there good too go for gophers and fall Chickens. Time well spent looking for furry critter tracks along the Rocky Mountain range too.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-22-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Don age is just a number.

Keep going!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Today I ran a hand full of 125's and 150's threw the Odd-6, lite loads as I find a iron silhouette/ furry critter charge in both categories.

A few week ago I finished of 2 boxes of Hornady 125gr "reduced load bullets in the 2700 ft-per second. They are some sweet for feather weight plinking. They are really designed for women and young adults too use in game harvest, predator and Deer would not like them as they have some zap down range. Super fun too shoot.

So this will be my home made load range for these 125's from here on in. Low recoil, reduced powder change, and all round fun too send down range from the 12 lb rifle.

Next up was the 150 grainers.
Some at 2600 ft-per second, and 2750 ft-per second.
The low Velocity 150's deliver some bite on the metal targets, the hotter loads put the spin on them.

I can see the hot 150's in the 2750 range filling my needs since they limit recoil apposed too the max at 2950 ft-per second if I remember, barrel life would last much longer too.

Next week of I'm doing the frugal Winchester semi pointed 180's as they have worked good for me over the years,,, Speer 180's and 190's as well.

Very lucky with the 1 rifle for all my needs as I started to rethink the furry critter getter 243 caliber, but this old school Odd-6 will have too fill those needs.

It all works out using the reloading table of much as it allows me too match charged loads too many kinds of bullets that are available in todays market.

Lots of Iron silhouettes targets too tip over in the next few months. Always good times when simple comes into play.

Don
Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 AM

Don, I don't think I'd worry about barrel life. Years ago I talked to a guy who worked at culling deer herds in New Zealand and he claimed to have worn out several 30-06's and he said they were generally good for 10,000 rounds before they stopped shooting.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 AM

Ha, I hope I'm worn down at the same time.

I'm sure I can buy another rifle when the time comes.

Low charge cartrages extend barrel life a bit, so I'll tap it kool since I'm long past trying to make factory standard cartrages into magnum rifles.
That might of been the reason on how I ended up in the power house category back then.

Us young folk back then wanted power, ft-lbs of energy, and freight trains of lead flying down range too areas we couldn't even see with our naked eyes. LOL

Those good old days.

The wise old timers at our Red Deer and area range thought we were fools as they plugged along with their 308's and like rifles. Here we were burning powder like no towmorow and still trying too push the 300 weatherbys and 338 winchester too their max.

So after melting lots of brass in the Chambers, seeing primers disappear, and using a peace of wood too tap the bolt open. LOL I'm sure most of those rifles had burnt barrel throats and head space too the max after their first year of life.

It didn't matter much too us back then as we'd buy new rifles by the box fulls every week or month depending on work,,, it was all about good times and power. The 375 H&H days were limited as they shook up my human cage with recoil more than I could handle.

Any-who, those days are long past, now the plan too fun is light plinking and relaxing with easy going re-loads.
Plinking is one thing, the fishing rod goes with this package. Ha.

It's really all about the camping and bon-fires of good times no matter where I end up. Today we're making 2 home made campers of 1"x1" iron frame.

All part of the Odd-6 dream.

Don

PS: I'D post pictures, but phone too Photobucket is not working yet. More too come
Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Doesn't that rifle have a 22" barrel?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
All part of the Odd-6 dream.

Don
Its aught six, not odd six.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post

Unless your English then it's a naught six!
Old 05-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I think american is ought six not the empire loyalist aught six. Anyway in canada its odd six as far as i ever heard
Old 05-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Don? Why not just do what 80% of the idiots at my range do? Buy something roughly 3-6 calibers up from what you can shoot decently and park a muzzle brake on it. Not only will it win you lots of new friends but all those around you will be looking at you with big smiles on their faces.

I recommend the 2 most over abused calibers out there. 300 win Mag and 338. Everyone should own one and have a brake screwed on the end.

I swear if I ever own a range and someone comes on the premises with a muzzle brake....
Old 05-14-2017, 04:13 PM

With the advancements in today's ammunition the old 06 is better than it ever has been. It's one of my favourites and it spawned a whole bunch of other great cartridges as well.

Gilly
Old 05-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
anyway in canada its odd six as far as i ever heard
I suppose your same buddies call this "double odd buck"?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:03 PM

I was thinking muzzle break or brake as I'm not good at English stuff. Ha.

I'll measure the barrel length tonight on the Ruger M77 too find out what it is. It feels heavy for some reason compared to my now sold off Remington model 700 BDL in 300 Weatherby, but it might be the same weight.

The darn thing shoots good, so I don't think I'll be putting on the MB this round.

If I choose too load'er up, then I have that option, a little bit of bullet drop dosen't bother me as I'll compensate with hold-over. Ha... Kinda like the old days of knowing how much hold is needed for distance and wind drift.

0 @ 200 yards and pray too the compensation God's for getting that small chunk of lead too tip those silhouette targets over. LOL.

The Auger-6 cartrages feel pretty small too the larger cases I was shooting, but that's too be expected as its the only go too rifle that is now taking up space in the cabinet,,, less the 22 plinker and 12 gauge.

I still need too find my all round shooting load, then make up my data card that gets placed on the stock.
Nothing like the quick glance once in a blue moon too refresh the noodle on elevation drop at range.
For iron targets that is.

Don
Old 05-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Don. I'm not an expert by any means but I think you'll find the most accurate loads in a 30-"aught" six are in the 180 grain range. It seems to prefer the big boys more than the 150's.

Somewhere between 2700 and 2800 fps range.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I think american is ought six not the empire loyalist aught six. Anyway in canada its odd six as far as i ever heard

I've never heard it called an odd six and I've been around a long time. Back to when the Springfield was one of the top 3.

English people will often refer to ZERO as Naught or Nought which is sometimes shortened to Aught or Ought. And thus the 30-"Aught" six was named.

Odd is just....odd, and is simply a misspeak.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I suppose your same buddies call this "double odd buck"?

Ive never seen it outside of ontario like 30 years ago i think local oafs called it double oh. Not sure if we should be ashamed
Old 05-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I've never heard it called an odd six and I've been around a long time. Back to when the Springfield was one of the top 3.

English people will often refer to ZERO as Naught or Nought which is sometimes shortened to Aught or Ought. And thus the 30-"Aught" six was named.

Odd is just....odd, and is simply a misspeak.
Well to my ear its been odd and nobody ever corrected me but the whole thing is wrong because aught is the right word for zero or nothing and americans use ought which is a different word entirely go figure plus its an american cartridge
Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Ive never seen it outside of ontario like 30 years ago i think local oafs called it double oh. Not sure if we should be ashamed
I wasn't trying to shame anyone - I think many just don't know.

Certainly don't be shamed or insulted, it wasn't my intent.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to shame anyone - I think many just don't know.

Certainly don't be shamed or insulted, it wasn't my intent.
Thats ok im not that touchy it was kind of a joke
Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM

What happened along the way too how this 30/06 idea came to be.

The last few years I found my self slowing down, and life at times puts too much on the plate, so too limit the masses I juggled things around too fit in lifes thrills.

The one rifle thing took me in many directions, the brand of rifle, cartrage size, bullet selection, what I wanted the rifle too do, and funds of course.

It all started off at 243,,, didn't take long too switch ideas too 25/06 followed by 7mm-08,,, then 308. 270 fit in there as well.

Oh boy, all that thinking had me flopping back and forth many times,,, the World Wide Web brought on the 6.5 Creedmore as I started looking real hard at it as my go too 1 rifle idea. But something didn't click with me on it,,, I'm very sure it would or could do everything I needed it too do at plinking, iron silhouettes and game harvest.

Every time I visited the many sporting good shops I'd see something new, so my mind would switch back to what I was planning or get locked onto lookung at other options.

Lucky I keep a keen eye on quality and price points too find the middle grounds that suit my needs along the way.

YouTube has some awesome information now days as I skimmed the videos and read many Web pages of information on different brands of rifles and calibers,,, I was starting too think that a $350 dollar rifle was close to the $700 up too $1000 units.

One day I came across a sale on a 243 budget rifle in the - $350 range,,, I looked it over the best I could that day. Then left it at that.
The next day I returned with more questions and as too see it one more time.
I took the bolt out and eye balled the riflings,,, things didn't look right in this budget rifle being that it was new.

I flipped it around too look from the other end too soon realize that budget made barrels are what they are,,, as it rolled the rifle and used the shop lighting I could see the in side of the barrel was poorly cut.

There was hash marks in the smooth sections between the rifling cuts,,, tool jumping is what I call it. From front to back a person could see the button tool started jumping in the rifle cut process. I never in all my years thought I'd see something like that with eye sight alone.

I knew from that moment on that the budget rifle would fill the needs of many shooters out there,,, but it was not for me. I looked at 3 more brands too find out they have the same button push barrels, so the Web pages offered lots of info on how rifle barrels are made,,, about a weeks worth of reading told me that I would half too add more funds to get better quality... For my needs at least.

My long time out door friend over the years never mentioned anything about his collection of firearms,,, just happened to be that our conversation about rifles come up, and game harvests in the following years.

I told him that I started looking at a 1 rifle thing for all, and that it started off a year ago on this forum being a simple 30/06. He started to laugh,,, a few minutes later he came from his spare room and handed me a darn near new Ruger 30/06 rifle, my eyes were deffinatly wide open at that point.

His reply was he bought this rifle as a back up firearm 4 years ago, but it did not fit his needs. I'll sell you this rifle if you want it,,, and I'll make it affordable so it ends up being a fair deal for you and I.

Funny how life turns out when we least expect it.

Wow, your kidding me right.
Nopers my friend.
I won't sell you this rifle unit you shoot it, so you decide what fits your needs as its yours for the taking when the time comes.

Wholly crap, I was in over drive mode clearing out my cabinet of too much, and many of my closest friends ended up with some pretty nice firearms as well.

This rifle exchange program was underway all year as I thinned out my heard too make room for this plan in action.
Everyone in this group became winners, and this my friends is how our out-doors activists take place.

Life long friends share in our passions of many things, weather it be camping, fishing, hiking, ohvs, farming, and everything related to living life full.

I never thought that it would take the better part of a year too find my self where I wanted to be in this planning, but now that it's sorted, I'm super thrilled it panned out.

Returning to a 30/06 was a dream of passion, a thought of what could be, and well worth sharing on Alberta's best out-doors forum.

It's my close friends and new friends here that drives our common goals of gooder times no matter what they are.

This thread could of been any caliber or rifle depending on what life throws at us, just happen to be that my dream and plan worked out so far.

Quality, price, and time are factors worth considering, strange that the old saying still stands.

Don
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

The return too 30/06 is a idea.

I'll share on it in different things over the years too come.

This idea could of been any instrument so long as if fit the iron targets, and just enough too get it done,,, it's kinda nice to allow our selves too accept some of the recoil as it confirms that we are part of the show. Ha

There will be lots of twists turns, hopefully off track and lots of lost,,, "not really as it can only happen if I fall off our flat planet." This could happen you know.

So there will be camping, hiking, OHVing, some horses, fishing and just about everything added to this in the out-door activities.

We all have stories, so I'll share on some of local folks that left their marks,,, Charlie, Windy, and the Lost Australian fit into this thread as they had nill for material possession, but they gained in the inner workings that make us who we are.

It will be quite a ride as it takes us places back in time, in the now, and never forward till we get there.

Remember, this could be any instrument of our choosing, just happens to be that we get too be part of this on our world class Alberta Out Doors Web Forum...

How lucky is that.

Don

Now trying to figure out how too put up pictures while my tech system is down.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 PM

I might have the smart phone / Photobucket thing sorted. Ha.

The Odd 6 reload stuff is underway as I test the budget system buddy wanted to try.

In door all weather camping platform is underway.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM

XO Skeleton Camper box too pack OHV and camp in where ever my Cabin on Wheels ends up.

55" tall, 6' 10" wide, and 9' long.
Box on box construction with lift top roof.

A place for bush camp reloading, archery, fishing and extend outting in the Americas.
Small camper box too fit all trucks 1/2 ton too 1 ton.

The back seat bed will remain in the truck cab as the camper get a secondary live in system as well.
This opens the doors too shoots threw out our Province Alberta and BC.

Don

Hope the photo thing remains working.