Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

Default Cooey Story

This is to good not to share,found it on another forum
Some Things I Have Learned About Old Cooeys

In putting together a match at our club over the last few weeks I have spent a lot of time thinking about old Cooey .22's. I put together a few thoughts that I'd like to share.

If it says H.W. Cooey on the barrel, it was made before 1961.

If it says anything about Winchester, it was made after 1961.

The long barreled ones shoot better with standard velocity ammo.

The shorter barreled ones shoot better with higher velocity ammo.

Once you get a second Cooey, they start to multiply...kinda like hamsters.

Old rusty ones shoot better than those that you have lovingly preserved for your whole life.

If you have spent hours sighting in a Cooey and then notice that the front sight is bent, its OK, don't straighten it and start over, leave it for the next generation. You've done your part.

If there is a strong wind blowing you will need to use Kentucky windage. If you lose your rear sight elevator, you can slip a dime under your rear sight. This is known as Canuck elevation. Proper Canadian etiquette and protocol requires that the Queen's head be facing up when using Canuck elevation....... unless you are from Nova Scotia, in which case having the Bluenose facing up is also permitted.

If your single shot Cooey doesn't extract fired cases, don't be disappointed. This is part of its "character and charm". If it takes two extra seconds to pick the case out with your fingernail, remember a Cooey 39 was never intended for bear defense.

If you have a perfect shot lined up in the sights of your Cooey, you probably forgot to cock it.

If you have cocked it, it will probably misfire due to the cheap bulk ammo you are using.

You never see anyone using Lapua or Eley match ammo in their Cooey.

A Cooey can be a perfectly viable canoe paddle. They can also grind coffee.

A long boot lace makes a perfectly acceptable sling for a Cooey.

A Cooey single shot can shoot .22 short, long, long rifle, BB cap, CB cap, .22 shotshells, .22 acorn blanks, acorn blanks with .22 airgun pellets and probably nail gun blanks, (but I haven't tried those yet).

A Cooey doesn't need batteries. There is also no USB port. I think they must be solar powered.............although they also work fine in the rain........hmmmmmm...

Most of the old Cooeys never had serial numbers. No wonder the long gun registry never worked. Thank you Mr Cooey!

The Cooey I got 43 years ago will be with me 'til I die.

When you see a beat up old Cooey at a gun show, treat it with respect, someone probably had to die for it to be there.

If you are thinking of turning your Cooey into a Tacticool Cooey, consider your actions carefully. We don't want any previous owners turning over in their graves.

If you miss what you thought was a perfect shot, it's not the cheap bulk ammo. It is just the ghost of the previous owner playing tricks on you.

If you think Cooeys won't ever be valuable, then don't read old magazines that had ads for cheap surplus Lee Enfields and Garands.

Colt Pythons easily sell for 4 or 5 times their original price today.

So do Cooeys.

If your Cooey could talk to future generations, what would it say about you?

Don't forget to hug your Cooey today
Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 AM

Well said.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Default Cooey

Back in the 60`s I used Dads Cooey, I could hit anything. I thought all guns were that way. I thought someday I will get a nice, good gun. Now I wish I had that Cooey back. It has nothing to do with the fact that my eyes are 55 years older. I could get 2 boxes of short for $1
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Could we possibly have the grounds for a National "Cooey shoot off" at gun club ranges across the country. Like the Dominion marksmanship fellowship of years gone bye!!.
I wonder if the NDP-Liberal coalition would sponsor such grass roots gathering of sportsmen from one end of the country to the other. I will take it upon myself to dispatch a memo to the leaders of both parties and will report back to you before election day.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM

I purchased an old Cooey 64B at the Thornecliff gun show for my winter project, of course I had to take it out and put a few rounds through it first though. Still shoots great. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to refinish the stock or make a new one for it. Any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Banned

I still have my dad's cooey 64 that I used to take gopher shooting. He upgraded it from iron sights by putting on a 15 dollar bushnell scope.

Probably one of the cheapest guns I own, and easily the most treasured. (next to my dad's Ted Williams shotgun...also a cheap gun but one that never leaves the safe)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 AM

If you don't understand any of this - you're not an Old Stock Canuck.

Thank you Hubert Joseph Cooey.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Default Cool story

Cool story. Thx for sharing.
I collect the little pre-39 single shots.
It's an extensive collection if not an expensive collection
Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221fb View Post
Cool story. Thx for sharing.
I collect the little pre-39 single shots.
It's an extensive collection if not an expensive collection
Cool collection - care to post some pics?
An estimated 12 million Cooey's were made in Canada - that's something like 2 out of 3 Canadian households had one in the shop, the closet, the kitchen or hanging on the living room wall.
How times have changed.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 PM

A few years ago, I donated my old Cooey's to a center that does a lot of fireams training for kids. Having a seniors moment and cannot remember the name of the club ...in Strathcona County ...think Brian Harry was running it. Anyone know? Would be a good place for any of your unwanted Cooeys.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM

There is a little paper back book available from the Historical Arms Society all about the history of the Cooey company, a very interesting read with lots of pictures of their countless variety of products. I think I picked up my copy at the Edmonton gun show years ago and refer to it regularly. D.H.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Default Wanted

If anybody has a Bisley Sport they would part with I would be eternally grateful.
It would complete my collection of the little pre-39 Cooey collection(22cal)
Not much makes me smile more than seeing a kid learning to shoot with an old Cooey that's been passed down in the family.
A Rabbit and a box of shorts.......
Old 10-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Ya gotta love them old Cooeys!
Cat
Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 PM

The ones I gave up included an oldie that I started with about 1957. The other two were probably 60's vintage and I used them for the odd pest. Both had big chambers and would not seal the blowback from the CCI-CB's.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Dad had a single shot we used to use in grade school when we went out for chickens and it was fine.
Couple years ago I wanted a cheap 22 and bought a mossberg plinkster, big mistake couldn't get it to shoot anything, only gun I've sold. Found a nice cooey repeater (m60?) with cool wood and sling swivels pre Winchester and snapped it up. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen and it shoot lights out with open sights at 25yrds, much happier now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
When you see a beat up old Cooey at a gun show, treat it with respect, someone probably had to die for it to be there.
I've often thought this at gun shows.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Anyone got a Cooey 84 12g for sale let me know.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-10-2015, 04:07 PM

I had an 84 that fit me like a glove, it's long gone now.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:42 PM

Got a single shot model 39 Winchester
No serial number

And also a model 60 repeater
No serial number

Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 AM

The first gun I ever shot was my uncle's Ace # 1 single shot 22 - was it made by Cooey? I still have it.
My first gun (1960) was a Cooey 84 in 12 ga - sold it about 10 years ago in a weak moment only to buy another 3 years ago for shooting BP.... and they do multiply: that one is now probably the only 3-barrel set in the world! It has a 30", 3" chamber full choke barrel, a 30". 2 3/4" Imp Cyl choke barrel and a 20", 3" cylinder bore barrel with front sight for slugs. No fancy case yet. Still contemplating adding 16, 20, 28 and 410 barrels for a 7-barrel set but then that might be a bit over-the top... and heavy to haul around.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:30 AM

Hahahahaha, that article was so true. I had put thousands of Wiz-Bang rounds through mine and shot hundreds of gophers.

An enjoyable walk down another memory lane.
Cheers

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My kids learned to shoot with a Cooey that was given to us/them from their grandfather who owned and ran Shooters Choice out of Arrowwood Alberta,
This rifle is a classic and a real tack driver, will always be a family rifle for many generations to learn to safely shoot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-30-2016, 01:59 PM

Thought I would bump it for those that might be into Cooey's
Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Gone Hunting

I traded a dog arsed air rifle for a Cooey model 60 some 30 yrs ago. Buddy was a "pigeon", because his YD did not like a rifle in the house. The Cooey replaced my Model 60 that got stolen from Dad's shop in the 60's sometime. It had been run over more than once by Dad with the tractors, ploughed into the ground, cleaned up, and then shot like the champ that it was. The grandson enjoys using it when he comes along with Opa on his chicken missions. Open sights and it still knocks the testicles from a mosquito at 25 yds!!!!! Gophers & ruffies don't have a chance.

Last edited by Opa; 09-30-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default cooey sale

I bought 2 Cooeys brand new at a hardware sale in Lethbridge for $22.50 each with scopes for my sons. One boy was to small so we carefully sawed 4" of the stock then glued it back on when he got bigger. I did not appreciate how accurate they were. When I was young I only shot shorts in the Cooey my dad gave me. We got 3 bullets for every gopher tail we brought in. I broke my Cooey when I run out of shells and had to hit a rabbit with it. I fixed it and then sold it to my cousin. Then I had Remington 550 auto and it got used and looked used. sold it to a young friend. Bought a little Browning auto brand new for $75 and it now looks a bit rough.

Last edited by chimpac; 09-30-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Smile

I have worn out trigger on mine Cooey .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Ya gotta love them old Cooeys!
Cat
+1 !!!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 PM

Great stories.

Had a friend doing renos on the old farm house basement, she found what turned out to be a Cooey model 39 in the joists.

Offered it up to me to which I jumped all over.

Three days of lovins had her back proper shooting order.

Turned out to have a beautiful black walnut stock that I could not bring myself to cut down to my sons size.

So we made a father son project and built a custome one of a kind stock out of some maple I had kicking around in the garage.

Turned out quite nicely and man can that boy shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.9 KB, 99 views)
Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
Great stories.

Had a friend doing renos on the old farm house basement, she found what turned out to be a Cooey model 39 in the joists.

Offered it up to me to which I jumped all over.

Three days of lovins had her back proper shooting order.

Turned out to have a beautiful black walnut stock that I could not bring myself to cut down to my sons size.

So we made a father son project and built a custome one of a kind stock out of some maple I had kicking around in the garage.

Turned out quite nicely and man can that boy shoot.
Very cool. Another generation enjoying a cooey
Old 10-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Red face Takes Me Back

I have a Cooey single shot 22, I have also the repeater version I got 51 years ago, and a Cooey 12 gauge single shot I bought when I was 12 years old, the shotgun doesn't throw the shells out like it used to but it still fires fine, kicks like a mule as I recall, my SBE ll shoots 3.5" Mags with less kick than the old girl did with 2.75 duck loads!! lol