Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Default The End of The Line

Has anyone watched this documentary on Netflix? I am going through it right now and its actually enlightening albeit very depressing. Basically it shows that our fisheries the world over are basically collapsing due to over harvesting. It should come as no shock to anyone that at our current rate of consumption the earth cannot provide for us, and we are doing irreversible damage to our worlds oceans. People on this forum don't like to share their spots knowing that they will be decimated so it stands to reason that we are capable due to the industrialization of the fishing industry of fully exhausting the oceans fish stocks.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM

And that is why we practice catch and release in these parts. And put and take. And have hatcheries. And sometimes shoot our mouths off when we see somebody putting stocks in danger...And keeping big spawners instead of releasing them. In spite of the huge numbers of fisherpeople in this province, most people get it and are managing to preserve our heritage, and respect the rules.
We are also very lucky here that we have good cheap protein,and have resources to burn or we would be in the same boat too. A big high five to all you farmers and ranchers out there for helping to save the fishes ! BEEF,PORK,POULTRY,LAMB,DAIRY,PRODUCE AND WHEAT are produced here for you to eat. Omega 3 and 6 can be found in grains too like flax and Canada is the worlds #1 producer of flax...Let em swim and pass the steak... IMHO AS ALWAYS..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

IMO it is arrogant to assume that we can destroy the earth, its suffered catastrophic events before and has recovered. It is also arrogant to assume that we are above the natural cycle of things, when any other animal's population exceeds what an ecosystem can support a die off occurs, either from starvation or disease or other. The higher a population manages to rise above the capacity of an ecosystem the more drastic the inevitable die off is. We will not destroy the world, once some kind of ballance is once again obtained it will start to recover, at the rate we are going there will most likely be very few humans around to see it happen though.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Banned

Anyone who is interested in human ecology or global economy may find data provided on the FAO website interesting.

They have data for production, consumption, catch rates for near every food, including data on marine fish harvest.

Further, anyone interested in the 2 areas of study above may find a website called dieoff.org worth a read.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
IMO it is arrogant to assume that we can destroy the earth, its suffered catastrophic events before and has recovered. It is also arrogant to assume that we are above the natural cycle of things, when any other animal's population exceeds what an ecosystem can support a die off occurs, either from starvation or disease or other. The higher a population manages to rise above the capacity of an ecosystem the more drastic the inevitable die off is. We will not destroy the world, once some kind of ballance is once again obtained it will start to recover, at the rate we are going there will most likely be very few humans around to see it happen though.
I don't think we will destroy the earth, asteroids can't destroy the planet they can however erase entire ecosystems and press the reset button on our planet. I think what were currently doing the world over is equal to that; Earth will always be here, human beings might not. I'd hate for an intelligent life form to make itself extinct when its entirely avoidable. Simply put we have too many people not enough resources anymore, oil and coal is why we can support the population we have. Well actually that's a lie, we can't support the population we have right now. What oil and coal has done is enabled us to cheat, without those resources our planet could sustain around 3.5-4Billion people that would be homeostasis. That's the point we need to get back to, our oceans can't sustain us anymore and our agriculture is inadequate. We would literally have to turn the entire continent of Africa into a farm to match the demand for food we will need for our growing population and do so by 2040. Our population today is about 7 Billion people, and what's truly frightening is if you extend the graphs out for our fisheries, well they just plain out will not exist by 2050.

When presented with this information and the studies to back it up, people attack the information and the studies and don't want to believe it. Its not comforting to actually be able to look out and see an end point for sustainability. It often causes responses like, "So what's your solution kill 3.5Billion people?" Well no, the solution is to prevent any further population growth and to lower our population via a 1 child policy globally. That was the purpose behind China's 1 child policy to reduce population they just failed terribly to do it. Being as that will never happen, and unless every nation on the planet is willing to jump on the wagon of sustainable development my solution is much more caliginous. We do nothing at all, we keep doing as we have been doing because even if we were to miraculously get every person in Canada and the United States on board with conservation of the oceans; there's 1.344 Billion Chinese, and 1.241 Billion Indian's who would completely nullify our cause.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
I don't think we will destroy the earth, asteroids can't destroy the planet they can however erase entire ecosystems and press the reset button on our planet. I think what were currently doing the world over is equal to that; Earth will always be here, human beings might not. I'd hate for an intelligent life form to make itself extinct when its entirely avoidable. Simply put we have too many people not enough resources anymore, oil and coal is why we can support the population we have. Well actually that's a lie, we can't support the population we have right now. What oil and coal has done is enabled us to cheat, without those resources our planet could sustain around 3.5-4Billion people that would be homeostasis. That's the point we need to get back to, our oceans can't sustain us anymore and our agriculture is inadequate. We would literally have to turn the entire continent of Africa into a farm to match the demand for food we will need for our growing population and do so by 2040. Our population today is about 7 Billion people, and what's truly frightening is if you extend the graphs out for our fisheries, well they just plain out will not exist by 2050.

When presented with this information and the studies to back it up, people attack the information and the studies and don't want to believe it. Its not comforting to actually be able to look out and see an end point for sustainability. It often causes responses like, "So what's your solution kill 3.5Billion people?" Well no, the solution is to prevent any further population growth and to lower our population via a 1 child policy globally. That was the purpose behind China's 1 child policy to reduce population they just failed terribly to do it. Being as that will never happen, and unless every nation on the planet is willing to jump on the wagon of sustainable development my solution is much more caliginous. We do nothing at all, we keep doing as we have been doing because even if we were to miraculously get every person in Canada and the United States on board with conservation of the oceans; there's 1.344 Billion Chinese, and 1.241 Billion Indian's who would completely nullify our cause.

I read an interesting Novel a couple years back, at the end of the book a program is put into place to create a new geneticly modified strain of humans. A less ambitious, less agressive, and less prolific species that will be more inclined to keep the world running at a sustainable rate, at which point the original race of humans will volentarily go extinct. Now I know thats a little sci- fi crazy sounding but the more I thought about it the more I had to admit, its probably about the best idea I've heard. Geneticaly modifying a new sub species of humans to fix our mess is far more plausable than the possibility of us ever doing it our selves.

I'm currently trying to finish reccording a song more or less about this problem titled "The Crackhead in Everyone"
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

My buddy use to play a cd in my car by a band called, 'leftover crack'.

Smoke it till its gone