Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Default spray

Well, was planning to sleep in today, but at about five o clock dad came in and woke me up. I was pretty surprised when he told me we were going fishing! My birthdays tomorrow and I wasn't expecting it in the least!

Anyways we left about 5:30, and made it to the lake and started fishing at about 7:30.... We parked at sparrowhawk at the entrance with the locked gate, and pulled out all the gear into the middle of the lake in about 80-90 feet of water. So we fished there for around two hours and only ended up with a couple bites.... well that sucked so we headed out for a bit deeper water, man it was fun trying to get the tent set up with hurricane force winds haha. Long story short we ended up getting skunked, between me and my dad we only had one bite in the hour we stayed there, so we packed up and headed out down the road to the next exit past sparrowhawk, maybe half a km. We asked a guy how he made out and he said he caught about a dozen! He was only fishing for a couple hours and he said everybody else was catching lots too..... but oh well, that's why it's called fishing! Still had a great day even though it was right chilly with the wind... also saw a goat family climbing down the mountain which was cool. But all in all a good day! even though we didn't catch any fish.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM

what were you using?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM

When you say the next exit past Sparrowhawk, do you mean to the north or to the south of it?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM

We were using buzzbombs and small bucktails tipped with smelt. And the exit was further down the lake, past sparrowhawk away from driftwood to the south
Old 02-16-2013, 05:29 PM

Very similar story. I was on the ice by 7:15 at Driftwood. I started without my tent, when the wind came up I attempted to put my tent up but was unsuccessful. Caught 2 14"ers and put them back before 9:00 and lost one at 10:00. Only a couple other bites. Moved to 10fow at 11:00 to try for whites but haven't figured them out yet. I talked to a few groups on my way in and they weren't catching anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm77 View Post
Very similar story. I was on the ice by 7:15 at Driftwood. I started without my tent, when the wind came up I attempted to put my tent up but was unsuccessful. Caught 2 14"ers and put them back before 9:00 and lost one at 10:00. Only a couple other bites. Moved to 10fow at 11:00 to try for whites but haven't figured them out yet. I talked to a few groups on my way in and they weren't catching anything.
well that's better then we did you guys weren't by chance a car following a blue truck, were you?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
well that's better then we did you guys weren't by chance a car following a blue truck, were you?
If you were the dodge then yes. I was in a silver Altima. Just meant similar story as I wasn't planning on fishing but my wife woke me up at 4:55 and said "why aren't you going fishing?" Odd thing for a wife to say on a Saturday morning but probably because my birthday is on Tuesday. Gonna see if I can get away with one more trip on Monday!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Gotta love that wind on the Spray!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm77 View Post
If you were the dodge then yes. I was in a silver Altima. Just meant similar story as I wasn't planning on fishing but my wife woke me up at 4:55 and said "why aren't you going fishing?" Odd thing for a wife to say on a Saturday morning but probably because my birthday is on Tuesday. Gonna see if I can get away with one more trip on Monday!
haha that's awesome! Cool to see your a forum member too. We were hoping to get out again today, but the trip yesterday pretty much killed our energy. lol
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Thought I'd just add to this instead of starting a new thread.

Headed up on Saturday in the rain. Snowing by time I got to spray. Lots of slush and ice on water, but still ok to walk on. Ice is at least 24 inches thick still.

Fished around noon till 4. Marked lots of fish in fish finder, but only landed one laker.

When got back to truck, note on windshield about road to Canmore being closed due to avalanche. Had to head out south down to hwy 40. Great drive for the scenery.

Overall good day.

P.S. If anyone was there on Saturday and saw a guy wrestling with big red ice fishing tent trying to take it down in the wind.................that was me. Hahahaha. For some reason I just could not get that sucker to collapse. hahahaha. 20 minute fight.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Thought I'd just add to this instead of starting a new thread.

Headed up on Saturday in the rain. Snowing by time I got to spray. Lots of slush and ice on water, but still ok to walk on. Ice is at least 24 inches thick still.

Fished around noon till 4. Marked lots of fish in fish finder, but only landed one laker.

When got back to truck, note on windshield about road to Canmore being closed due to avalanche. Had to head out south down to hwy 40. Great drive for the scenery.

Overall good day.

P.S. If anyone was there on Saturday and saw a guy wrestling with big red ice fishing tent trying to take it down in the wind.................that was me. Hahahaha. For some reason I just could not get that sucker to collapse. hahahaha. 20 minute fight.
thanks for the report! hopefully going to maybe try and get out this weekend or the next.... I wonder how the road is with all this new snow? I've always heard about avalanches on the road and it's no surprise when you look at the cliffs beside you... lol. We also had quite the fun trying to get our tent down in the wind in hurricane winds, that lake can get pretty crazy.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering if the road is repaired. I will try and find some info on the interweb.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Just called Canmore tourism office and it is open.