Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 PM

Default Fly Fishing Westlock/Athabasca Area?

Hello Everyone,

I've been a member for awhile but pretty much just a lurker....I am in my first year of learning how to fly fish so don't really have much of any use to contribute. It has been a challenge but I am having a great time, I'll have an even better time when I finally manage to catch something

Last summer I spent as much time as I could in the Nordegg area exploring and finding fishing spots but this year due to life circumstances I don't think I will be able to get down there that much this year. I recently moved between Westlock and Athabasca and was wondering if there was much out there for fly fishing opportunity for someone with no boat. I do have a kayak but am not comfortable on it in fast water as it is just a rec boat and I am going out by myself.

Last year I went to where the Freeman meets the Athabasca and I will definitely try there again. I have heard chain lakes might be a good spot to take the kayak but other than that I don't know the area at all. I'm not looking for anyone's super-secret honey holes but if anyone has any ideas of places I might try within a 2-hour drive I would be super grateful. I don't mind going for a few mile hike to get to fishing spots. If anyone can give me any ideas I would really appreciate the help. I've been trying to look on google maps for areas that look promising but am not coming up with much. I'll probably end up driving to Athabasca and seeing how far along the river I can walk if nothing else.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 AM
Banned

There are a few still water ponds and reservoirs around Edmonton. Check the fishing regulations for stocked ponds in your area. I fish the Vegreville pond almost exclusively and find the fishing very good early spring just after ice out. You can either fish from shore or launch a small boat. There is also Muir Lake, Spring Lake and a few others for still water fishing. I much prefer still water stocked ponds to fishing streams and rivers, I take home my catch, since the fishery is a put and take, rather than catch and release.

Last edited by trooper; 01-25-2021 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:24 AM

You can fly fish for walleye and goldeye in the Athabasca, pembina and Slave Rivers. Black weighted wooly buggers or other streamers.

Consider learning how to spey cast. Would need some more equipment though. Might be cheaper to invest in a belly boat and fins lol.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:16 PM

the Freeman River up closer to Swan Hills area is quite a good grayling stream. lots of roads and lease sites to access much of the stream. Hwy 32 crossing is a popular spot to access and explore the river from.
there is also a few stocked lakes in the Swan Hills area like Ethel, Chrystina, Windy and a bunch of back country lakes also.
the Virgina Hills area between Swan Hills and Fox Creek has a lot of small streams crossed by many oil roads. nice area to explore at least.

those are probably the closest areas to Westlock/Athabasca that i have fished.

good luck
Mike
Old 01-25-2021, 02:28 PM

It's NE of Athabasca, the Hangingstone has Grayling in it. Good fishing too.

BW
Old 01-25-2021, 05:31 PM

You are close to Chain Lake.
Big tigers...can't get much better than that....
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
There are a few still water ponds and reservoirs around Edmonton. Check the fishing regulations for stocked ponds in your area. I fish the Vegreville pond almost exclusively and find the fishing very good early spring just after ice out. You can either fish from shore or launch a small boat. There is also Muir Lake, Spring Lake and a few others for still water fishing. I much prefer still water stocked ponds to fishing streams and rivers, I take home my catch, since the fishery is a put and take, rather than catch and release.
Thank you, I do know there are a few stocked ponds around here I was going to try. It was probably due to Covid but I found all the stocked ponds last summer to be super busy.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
You can fly fish for walleye and goldeye in the Athabasca, pembina and Slave Rivers. Black weighted wooly buggers or other streamers.

Consider learning how to spey cast. Would need some more equipment though. Might be cheaper to invest in a belly boat and fins lol.
I already fall into the more equipment trap way to easily...haha
Old 01-26-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
It's NE of Athabasca, the Hangingstone has Grayling in it. Good fishing too.

BW
Thank you, that is one that was not on my radar
Old 01-26-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
the Freeman River up closer to Swan Hills area is quite a good grayling stream. lots of roads and lease sites to access much of the stream. Hwy 32 crossing is a popular spot to access and explore the river from.
there is also a few stocked lakes in the Swan Hills area like Ethel, Chrystina, Windy and a bunch of back country lakes also.
the Virgina Hills area between Swan Hills and Fox Creek has a lot of small streams crossed by many oil roads. nice area to explore at least.

those are probably the closest areas to Westlock/Athabasca that i have fished.

good luck
Mike
Thank you that is super helpful! I'll try to do some google map scouting of those areas and try to plan some drives out on a day off to scope the area out a bit.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
You are close to Chain Lake.
Big tigers...can't get much better than that....
Definitely the spot I have heard the most about through my googling
Old 01-26-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeanz View Post
Thank you, that is one that was not on my radar
The House River will provide a good outing as well.

BW
Old 01-31-2021, 02:44 PM

Horseshoe Lake near Long Island lake has brook trout and pike in it. A short walk in if the road is not wet. I used to quad in.