Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Default When Chironomids Slow sometimes the Leech is a go

Just a little Fly fishing action in the back yard with the Chironomid and goes to show when they stop hitting the chironomids in the evening you may pick off a few more on the micro or balanced leech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxhU7XYNY8

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Just a little Fly fishing action in the back yard with the Chironomid and goes to show when they stop hitting the chironomids in the evening you may pick off a few more on the micro or balanced leech.

I wish i had a trout pond in my back yard! I just thoight id should let you know brandon your powerbait video helped me catch my first trout when i first came to alberta .... ive come a long ways since then and i would never use power bait again lol the flyrod is my only rod now looks like you have progressed similarly. I think every true angler eventually starts fly fishing because it takes a true fisherman at heart to understand the art of fishing is a neverending journey and fly fishing is stepping stone on that journey. Thx for the vids i watch em all ! Ps. You need to colab with uncut angling that would be sweet!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
I wish i had a trout pond in my back yard! I just thoight id should let you know brandon your powerbait video helped me catch my first trout when i first came to alberta .... ive come a long ways since then and i would never use power bait again lol the flyrod is my only rod now looks like you have progressed similarly. I think every true angler eventually starts fly fishing because it takes a true fisherman at heart to understand the art of fishing is a neverending journey and fly fishing is stepping stone on that journey. Thx for the vids i watch em all ! Ps. You need to colab with uncut angling that would be sweet!
Thanks, I'm glad it helped you catch your first trout. I try to gear the videos to all sorts of levels. I'm not really a purist of any kind. I'm flexible and listen to the fish as much as I can to hopefully catch some. I enjoy using the fly rod, but I still really enjoy using lures like micro jigs and small spoons for trout as well when they're ignoring the flies.

I don't use powerbait very often, but still have a stash in case the fishing is dead and the kids need to catch a fish.

Powerbait and bait fishing is more for catch and keep fishing though in my opinion.

It would be nice to do a colab with Aaron from Uncut Angling, but he's got 104,000 Subs and I've got 9000... soooo I don't think I'm on his Radar. But maybe I could get the Fishing Geeks to bug him for me, haha. We'll see. I'll keep plugging along. I think the next 39 hours should have a Team Alberta!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:

There is a logic reason why fish switch from chronies to leachs in the chronie hatch when the fish get a ball of chronies in there mouth they need something to wash them down thats when a leach comes into the puzzle
When the chronies r deep the indicator fishermen will outfish the leach but when they get up into the top 6 feet of the water column that were the leach works
Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
There is a logic reason why fish switch from chronies to leachs in the chronie hatch when the fish get a ball of chronies in there mouth they need something to wash them down thats when a leach comes into the puzzle
When the chronies r deep the indicator fishermen will outfish the leach but when they get up into the top 6 feet of the water column that were the leach works
Thanks, so do you strip the leech in that case or still use it under and indicator. I'm new to fly fishing so I have a lot to learn about when and what to use. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, so do you strip the leech in that case or still use it under and indicator. I'm new to fly fishing so I have a lot to learn about when and what to use. Thanks.
I prefer stripping and make it undulate I tie my leachs weighted just in the front like a catonic leach also trolling slowly and working the fly works if u put a balanced leach under a indicator will work to . You will find this works last part of the hatch. If u have any more questions just pm me I fish many different productive ways as I like to think outside the box
Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
I prefer stripping and make it undulate I tie my leachs weighted just in the front like a catonic leach also trolling slowly and working the fly works if u put a balanced leach under a indicator will work to . You will find this works last part of the hatch. If u have any more questions just pm me I fish many different productive ways as I like to think outside the box
Thanks