Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 PM

Red face Cross Posted Regs Question (Sheep River)

Originally posted this in the Fishing Discussion area and thought perhaps its more of a fly fishing area so I might have better luck with an answer on this side.

Looking through the regs today, planning my last outing before a lot of the rivers close and was trying to locate "Gorge Creek" on google to figure out the cut offs for Sheep River.

The wording of the regs are as follows:

Sheep River & tributaries
from headwaters downstream to the bridge at Indian Oils Day-use Site
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED
from bridge at Indian Oils Day-use site downstream to Gorge Creek and tributaries (except Gorge Creek) - CLOSED
from Gorge Creek downstream to Highwood River – River only
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only after Aug. 15.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed.

The problems are when I look at the Alberta Parks day use site for Indian oils, it gives coordinates that do not show me a bridge anywhere around that location.
http://www.albertaparks.ca/sheep-riv...e/indian-oils/

Also when searching for Gorge creek I can only guess since it is not labelled, but I am thinking the confluence they are talking about is around these coordinates. (50.734761, -114.197085).

Which means that everything in the middle is closed.

I was just hoping someone could "A" post coordinates for the bridge they are talking about, and "B" confirm the coordinates I provided are in fact the confluence of Gorge creek.

The second scenario is the bridge in the Indian oils day use located at coordinates (50.596018, -114.780258) and the confluence of the Gorge is actually located (50.607355, -114.727704).

I wish the regs simply used Lat and Long, no fishing between here and here, instead of land marks and obscure land grid system, because I am the one who wrote this and I am slightly confused.

So my apologies
Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Originally posted this in the Fishing Discussion area and thought perhaps its more of a fly fishing area so I might have better luck with an answer on this side.

Looking through the regs today, planning my last outing before a lot of the rivers close and was trying to locate "Gorge Creek" on google to figure out the cut offs for Sheep River.

The wording of the regs are as follows:

Sheep River & tributaries
from headwaters downstream to the bridge at Indian Oils Day-use Site
June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Bait Ban.
from bridge at Indian Oils Day-use site downstream to Gorge Creek and tributaries (except Gorge Creek) - CLOSED
from Gorge Creek downstream to Highwood River – River only
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only after Aug. 15.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed.

The problems are when I look at the Alberta Parks day use site for Indian oils, it gives coordinates that do not show me a bridge anywhere around that location.
http://www.albertaparks.ca/sheep-riv...e/indian-oils/

Also when searching for Gorge creek I can only guess since it is not labelled, but I am thinking the confluence they are talking about is around these coordinates. (50.734761, -114.197085).

Which means that everything in the middle is closed.

I was just hoping someone could "A" post coordinates for the bridge they are talking about, and "B" confirm the coordinates I provided are in fact the confluence of Gorge creek.

The second scenario is the bridge in the Indian oils day use located at coordinates (50.596018, -114.780258) and the confluence of the Gorge is actually located (50.607355, -114.727704).

I wish the regs simply used Lat and Long, no fishing between here and here, instead of land marks and obscure land grid system, because I am the one who wrote this and I am slightly confused.

So my apologies
This is Gorge Creek. 50.644130, -114.652902 This is where the RB Miller Biological Research Station is located.

The Indian Oils Day Use site is a long way upstream, I did some recon without my fishing rod---the water is pretty thin. I know this does not answer your question, but it is probably just best to fish downstream of Gorge Creek anyway.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 AM

Thanks I appreciate it. Saves a longer drive.
I figured the Alberta Parks website was wrong but just wanted to be sure.