Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Who has built a 6 Dasher

Looking at building one next year. Like to hear your experiences and what would you do different if you were to start all over again. THX.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 PM

I built mine on a Stiller, Benchmark barrel and a McMillan Tooley stock and love every squeeze of the trigger. Brass forming isn't the biggest issue with me but if it is for you I'd suggest using a reamer spec to run the Norma Dasher brass vs fire forming or using a hydraulic form die on 6 BR brass.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:15 PM

I had about 6 built over the past 3 years using the reamer specs pictured below. Reamer is designed with sufficient free-bore to seat long 105 Ber VLD's long enough to minimize bullet intrusion in the boiler room. Reamer was also designed for tight NK requiring only that the neck need to be cleaned up with an outside NK turner.
I have put Dasher barrels on both a Bat repeater, and Barnard S actions. Barrel contours from HV to #3 Kreiger.
If building on a repeater action, it is necessary to block the back end of the magazine box and shorten the carrier plate ...so bullets feed properly.
When loaded with 32.4 gr Varget, from a 26" barrel, mine chrony with 2970 fps at muzzle. I have not taken them past 33 gr Var.
Reamer Specs

Brass prep ... left-parent 6BR / necked up to .264 / necked back down to 6mm with Dasher die to form false shoulder / 6 Dasher

Magazine Conversion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I had about 6 built over the past 3 years using the reamer specs pictured below. Reamer is designed with sufficient free-bore to seat long 105 Ber VLD's long enough to minimize bullet intrusion in the boiler room. Reamer was also designed for tight NK requiring only that the neck need to be cleaned up with an outside NK turner.
I have put Dasher barrels on both a Bat repeater, and Barnard S actions. Barrel contours from HV to #3 Kreiger.
If building on a repeater action, it is necessary to block the back end of the magazine box and shorten the carrier plate ...so bullets feed properly.
When loaded with 32.4 gr Varget, from a 26" barrel, mine chrony with 2970 fps at muzzle. I have not taken them past 33 gr Var.
Reamer Specs

Brass prep ... left-parent 6BR / necked up to .264 / necked back down to 6mm with Dasher die to form false shoulder / 6 Dasher

Magazine Conversion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.

So... would you say that it was worth it to build a Dasher vs a straight 6 mm BR?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM

I suppose it depends on the purpose for which the build will be used. My primary goal was use as a deer rifle. For that purpose, the Dasher is pretty much the equivalent of the 243 Win which the 6BR is not. A bonus the Dasher has over the 6BR is that performs very well (for target shooting) at mid-distance ... and last time I looked, it was one of the calibers heavily represented in 600yd BR competition. It is pretty easy to tune for accuracy. Another close option to the Dasher is the 6BR-DX.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Gone Hunting

I believe Henry Remple has a hydraulic (water) forming set up if you are going to use Lapua 6 BR brass, saves rounds down the barrel fire forming.
Wyatt makes a great internal magazine box for the BR and similar case like the Dasher. It solves the feeding issues.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Default Thank you all

Yes, I have seen Henry's set up and will use it.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't worry about fireforming brass. Prep is easy. From 6BR > expand neck to 6.5 > run through 6 Dasher sizer to create the false shoulder > load with full powder charge listed for the 6BR with a .015 jamb. Of course, if you go with a tight neck, you may need to turn down the top half of the neck. The groups you shoot while fireforming will not disappoint.
No idea what the barrel life is for the Dasher as I have yet to notice any issues with any of mine, but given that they are burning 10gr powder less than a 243 Win they should last longer.
I currently have an HV barrel chambered to 6 X 47L with about 500 rounds that I bought from a buddy .... being set back and rechambered to 6 Dasher. It will also be recontoured to #2 Kreiger dimensions. Should be ready in another week, and I will likely carry it for deer in mid-Nov.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 10-19-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about fireforming brass. Prep is easy. From 6BR > expand neck to 6.5 > run through 6 Dasher sizer to create the false shoulder > load with full powder charge listed for the 6BR with a .015 jamb. Of course, if you go with a tight neck, you may need to turn down the top half of the neck. The groups you shoot while fireforming will not disappoint.
No idea what the barrel life is for the Dasher as I have yet to notice any issues with any of mine, but given that they are burning 10gr powder less than a 243 Win they should last longer.
I currently have an HV barrel chambered to 6 X 47L with about 500 rounds that I bought from a buddy .... being set back and rechambered to 6 Dasher. It will also be recontoured to #2 Kreiger dimensions. Should be ready in another week, and I will likely carry it for deer in mid-Nov.
You should have given the 6x47l a try.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
You should have given the 6x47l a try.
6 X 47L is definitely interesting and would likely feed without any tinkering with the magazine or follower...maybe another 100fps with 7gr more powder than the Dasher.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:00 PM

What is the 6 Dasher could someone give me a run down is it like the 6mm ppc or is it something totally different?? not trying to derail the thread just never heard of this one before.

Anthony
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant12hony View Post
What is the 6 Dasher could someone give me a run down is it like the 6mm ppc or is it something totally different?? not trying to derail the thread just never heard of this one before.

Anthony
Google "6BR improved" for information...in short, the Dasher is a 6BR with the shoulder blown forward about .1" which makes room for an additional 3 grains of powder.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Google "6BR improved" for information...in short, the Dasher is a 6BR with the shoulder blown forward about .1" which makes room for an additional 3 grains of powder.
Ok thanks thats what i wanted to know dont remember seeing it in my reloading books but it might be ill check them!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Go to www.accurateshooting.com they have a great deal of info on this and similar mid-caliber cartridges.