Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 PM

Default how to maintain your rifle's accuracy?

Recently on my hunting trip, there is a strange thing happened. I usually sight in my rifle in the summer and always have 100% confidence on accuracy. two days ago, I arrived at an abandon oil site at the middle of the day so I thought maybe I could check my rifle. I am happy I did it.....To my surprise! my first two shots were not even on the target paper. I had no choice but spent almost an hour to re-sight in my rifle with almost half box of ammo.

Do you check the accuracy of your rifle after a long trip? how do you keep your rifle while traveling? in the bag or box?

any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM

I do a final verification in the fall, in temperatures similar to what I expect to hunt in if that is possible. My rifles are carried to the hunting area in hard cases, and I have never had an issue with a scope not holding zero in transit, or on a hunt. Most of my scopes have not required adjustment of any kind in years.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM

After any long trip it is best to make sure things have not gone out of whack. Also if you are at different elevations or weather conditions
Old 10-18-2016, 05:40 PM

My scope stays in my pack unless he along shot and have never had an issue with t at 300 yards, neither have an other of the quick detachable scopes had in the past on rifles have owned.
The irons are non adjustable express sights s don't g out of adjustment.
Cat
Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Hi,
Initial Set Up, Storage, Transportation & Handling of your Rifles is Key,...
When I Initially Set Up my Scope, I use Loctite 242 on all of the Scope Mounting Hardware Threads. I'll Set Up each Rifle/Scope for the Intended Range/Use, then shoot at different Ranges to Create a "Range Card", so I know where to "Hold" for different Senarios. I also use the Ammo that I Actually Hunt with to Set Up the Rifle, (Consistent Balistic Trajectory).
I Store my Rifles Uncased, Upright in a Gun Cabinet, with the Scopes towards the back of the Cabinet to Prevent Inadvertently bumping the Scope.
I only Transport my Rifles to the local shooting range in a soft case, Placed on the back seat of my Truck. If going any further, I use my Plano Gun Guard All Weather Scoped Rifle Cases.
I'm always as careful as can be when Handling my Rifles, and Especially mindful of the Scopes.
I don't Usually have any Issues if I stick to the above,...

Cheers,
Jonathan
Old 10-18-2016, 05:45 PM

It's always best to fire a shot to check your zero before hunting

What you described is more significant than the effects of temperature or wind (at 100 yards or less anyway). Something is not right. Did you shoot at the range from a lead sled or similar? This can shift your POI significantly.

If not, and your form was good...Either your scope/mounts shifted, your rifles action or barrel is not sitting properly in its stock, you are using different ammunition, something is broken somewhere. I would not hunt with that rifle until I had figured it out.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
It's always best to fire a shot to check your zero before hunting

What you described is more significant than the effects of temperature or wind (at 100 yards or less anyway). Something is not right. Did you shoot at the range from a lead sled or similar? This can shift your POI significantly.

If not, and your form was good...Either your scope/mounts shifted, your rifles action or barrel is not sitting properly in its stock, you are using different ammunition, something is broken somewhere. I would not hunt with that rifle until I had figured it out.
yeah.... I am having concerns about the next trip. Should I bring this rifle to Cabelas for a re-installation? They installed the scope for me last year. One thing I forgot to tell you. I forgot to clean the oil out before brought it for hunting. Will the oil left in the barrel affect the accuracy so much?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Oil left in the barrel can definitely effect the point of impact, but it should be gone after the first shot. If there is too much oil in the barrel and the rifle is fired, it can cause issues much more severe than just a missed shot.

If a scope ends up that far off of zero, and you are sure that the adjustments have not been purposely or accidentally moved, I would suspect either a scope issue, a weak base/ring combination, or a poor job of mounting the scope.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oil left in the barrel can definitely effect the point of impact, but it should be gone after the first shot. If there is too much oil in the barrel and the rifle is fired, it can cause issues much more severe than just a missed shot.

If a scope ends up that far off of zero, and you are sure that the adjustments have not been purposely or accidentally moved, I would suspect either a scope issue, a weak base/ring combination, or a poor job of mounting the scope.
Thank you. Maybe the first choice is to bring it to Cabelas and let them re-install it for me before the season ends...lol
Old 10-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Thank you. Maybe the first choice is to bring it to Cabelas and let them re-install it for me before the season ends...lol
I think you've discovered the problem not the solution.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Default Brand name

You dont mention the quality of the scope or mounting system as some are much more stable than others. If this is a cheap package rifle with the throw away included scope it may never hold zero or track like a quality scope.

I have transported mine hundreds of miles by plane, float plane, horse back and atv and they have never changed zero. doesnt matter I routinely check it every year before going out again.

p.s. I use blue loctite on mounting the base(s) to the rifle but would never use it on screw threads for the rings.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM

If your using an improvised rest when you are in the field such as a solid log or a tree, this will affect your POI.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Smile

My POI is different in late October then in mid July .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Im with chuck on this one. I wouldnt let Cabelas touch any of my rifles or scope. Where are you at, im sure lots of guys will mount it for you for nothing, including me.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
If you are in the Edmonton area I will show you how to check and remount your scope. PM me if you're needing help.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Recently on my hunting trip, there is a strange thing happened. I usually sight in my rifle in the summer and always have 100% confidence on accuracy. two days ago, I arrived at an abandon oil site at the middle of the day so I thought maybe I could check my rifle. I am happy I did it.....To my surprise! my first two shots were not even on the target paper. I had no choice but spent almost an hour to re-sight in my rifle with almost half box of ammo.

Do you check the accuracy of your rifle after a long trip? how do you keep your rifle while traveling? in the bag or box?

any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
Quote:
yeah.... I am having concerns about the next trip. Should I bring this rifle to Cabelas for a re-installation? They installed the scope for me last year. One thing I forgot to tell you. I forgot to clean the oil out before brought it for hunting. Will the oil left in the barrel affect the accuracy so much?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Im with chuck on this one. I wouldnt let Cabelas touch any of my rifles or scope. Where are you at, im sure lots of guys will mount it for you for nothing, including me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
If you are in the Edmonton area I will show you how to check and remount your scope. PM me if you're needing help.

Answer this post I do believe this individual will give direction.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM

A third(?) for don't retail store counter jockeys touch yer stuff! There is the occasional good employee that knows what they are doing, but that is few and far inbetween. Usually the good ones move on to work that is not quite so beneath them.

I brought one gun in, as a reference to find new rings once, as I was having a problem related to that. I could not get the elevation adjusted enough. My mistake (#1) was letting that slip. Mistake number 2 was letting the know it all 50-some-year-old employee take it in the back. I was immediately afraid for my scope's internals. The genius came out and declared that I was 8 inches off laterally which he "fixed" with a cheap bore sighter. Only moments after I told him that I sighted it in with live ammo....

If I was you, I would go to WGP and get the Weaver torque screw driver set. And a small container of purple Loc-Tite thread locker, as well as a little blue Loc-Tite. Might be a little over kill, but a drop of blue on the bottom of the scope rings will really hang onto the scope. A scope leveling kit might come in handy too. I am not so hot at getting the cross hairs level.

And a little more info about the scope may be warranted. What kind is it? Is it one of the package deal scopes? I am by no means an optics snob, but the money spent for a decent (Vortex Diamondback, Nikon ProStaff or a Monarch, Burris Full Field 2, Weaver, Redfield Revolution, Leupold VX-2) is not a waste. I mention mostly good starting points. You may be able to go a little cheaper, or slightly more expensive with similar results, but mostly it doesn't pay to go too cheap. And whether it's worth it to buy a thousand or 2 thousand dollar scope is highly subjective.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
haha! So true. to the OP, learn to do it yourself, and certainly if your going to have someone else do it, i wouldnt take it to cabelas. I have known a number of guys who have gotten their scopes mounted there and it was a terrible job. In edmonton, if i had to say to take it anywhere, it would be P&D. Cost you $45, but at least its done right.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
A third(?) for don't retail store counter jockeys touch yer stuff! There is the occasional good employee that knows what they are doing, but that is few and far inbetween. Usually the good ones move on to work that is not quite so beneath them.

I brought one gun in, as a reference to find new rings once, as I was having a problem related to that. I could not get the elevation adjusted enough. My mistake (#1) was letting that slip. Mistake number 2 was letting the know it all 50-some-year-old employee take it in the back. I was immediately afraid for my scope's internals. The genius came out and declared that I was 8 inches off laterally which he "fixed" with a cheap bore sighter. Only moments after I told him that I sighted it in with live ammo....

If I was you, I would go to WGP and get the Weaver torque screw driver set. And a small container of purple Loc-Tite thread locker, as well as a little blue Loc-Tite. Might be a little over kill, but a drop of blue on the bottom of the scope rings will really hang onto the scope. A scope leveling kit might come in handy too. I am not so hot at getting the cross hairs level.

And a little more info about the scope may be warranted. What kind is it? Is it one of the package deal scopes? I am by no means an optics snob, but the money spent for a decent (Vortex Diamondback, Nikon ProStaff or a Monarch, Burris Full Field 2, Weaver, Redfield Revolution, Leupold VX-2) is not a waste. I mention mostly good starting points. You may be able to go a little cheaper, or slightly more expensive with similar results, but mostly it doesn't pay to go too cheap. And whether it's worth it to buy a thousand or 2 thousand dollar scope is highly subjective.
Mine is Leupold... I bought from Cabelas so they installed it for me for free.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Mine is Leupold... I bought from Cabelas so they installed it for me for free.
Well most if the time it's a mounting problem. Especially since you got a scope that made their name on durability. In the long run, a moderate tool kit for your guns will save you time, money and increase your ability to maintain your own guns. And ultimately give you greater confidence in them.

I couldn't imagine going to a gun smith or store because I got dunked in the water with a rifle, or I wanted to maintain the trigger group.

Pureblood!
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM

Good thread OP.

One could order in the Brownells screw driver set at an affordable price that fit the firearm screws perfect,,, "they fit the best along with top quality screw drivers that prevent the screw heads from getting out of shape". Only a idea if folks "choose" to do work overs.

Yes too the above about quality mounts and rings as they hold true better when installed correctly.

Quality stuff for optics is nice as it handles the bumps and grinds of everyday life living in the out-doors.

All good ideas from others as above.

Don
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Good thread OP.

One could order in the Brownells screw driver set at an affordable price that fit the firearm screws perfect,,, "they fit the best along with top quality screw drivers that prevent the screw heads from getting out of shape". Only a idea if folks "choose" to do work overs.

Yes too the above about quality mounts and rings as they hold true better when installed correctly.

Quality stuff for optics is nice as it handles the bumps and grinds of everyday life living in the out-doors.

Don
]

That was good advice at one time, but these days almost all scope bases and rings use torx screws, so a good set of torx bits is of more value for mounting riflescopes.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Banned

coyotezh....if you are in Calgary or area, I'm willing to re-mount your scope starting at the receiver upward and take you through the proper steps so that you can take on the task on your own in the future. Once mounted, we will take it to my range (just out the door) and confirm that it is shooting straight and put you on paper to zero at your desired yardage. I am located near High River.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 AM

AO at it's best. Good on you, Leo and Git!

CoyoteZ, take these men up on their offer. You will learn a valuable skill. Any of us who spend a fair amount of time at the gun range know that allowing Counter jockeys to mount your scope is an instant way to hit the ditch. Seen it too many times.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Thank you Git.. I am in Edmonton.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Good thread OP.

Don
I know folks like the high dollar rings, and think that the more they pay, the better. I like the old style steel Weavers myself. They are a little tougher to get level, but they aren't as likely to strip if you are ham handed like myself (why I'm a fan of the torque driver), and have lots of meat and gripping surface to grab a scope. Haven't had hundreds of scopes mounted, but never had problems with marring, tracking or misalignment with them.

Forgot to mention that the OP's problem could be action screws also. Went to visit some friends and do a little hunting, and one of them was doubting her rifle. She took a few shots and was all over. I think I had my set with me, as I was installing studs on one of mine. I found the screws seemed to be snug, but not evenly. A couple minutes without messing up the screws and another half a dozen rounds got it about as good as possible, considering it was me working off a truck roof. This is why it's also a good idea to have more than a dozen cartridges on hand. And even though we weren't far out, there probably wasn't a 'smith for a hundred miles. And the authorities frown on you 911ing an emergency action screw tightening.

I also have a little "multi tool" gunsmithing tool for those emergency type jobs.

Pureblood!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 PM

I agree, weaver rings and bases work fine, had a few of them for mounting scopes on rifles.

Had good success with all of them.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:08 PM

I find it interesting viewing different forums too find information on rifle, optics, aftermarket stocks, barrels, and triggers,,, kinda like getting up-date on firearms that folks have custom built by qualified gun Smith or them selves.

This would be the only reason I view "Long Range Shooting and Hunting" forum,,, defiantly not for information relating too long range game harvest.

There is a disclaimer on this forum that talks about this as its up too those that par-take in long range hunting that it is "their" duediligance.

There are many success stories of game taken at long range, but I'm "guessing only" that there are all-so harvests that have been un-successful too.

So "my" idea of harvest is close range at all times, it has too be with in my means, and any animal or critter has to allow me for a clean harvest,,, if not,,, no shot.

Game harvest is on the furthest back burner as I return to plinking, any distance shots at paper and silhouettes only.

I've mentioned this on a few threads as well, as for other folks it's up too them at "their" choosing too harvest how they wish as each person chooses for them selves on how capable they are with the Firearm they have and knowledge of previous outtings.

Purhaps this is why our sport is exciting as it allows us to find what works for us.

Sharing in ideas and thought of things that have worked and our mistakes along the way.

I know I've made a few, but I learn and strive to be wiser each time I venture out.

AO forum has some awesome folks, good ideas and information that we can use, many new friends with like minded interests.

Fun in sharing what we find.

Don
Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Banned

I'll agree with others on the mounts.
A few years back I bought a Savage package that included a 3-9 Bushnell scope (funny thing, the local Bushnell rep, who is a friend couldn't find it in any current Bushnell catalogue).
The scope was a turd. When I swapped it out for a better scope six months later my 2moa Savage suddenly started shooting sub moa!
But the other thing was the pot metal mounts it came with. Every second time I went shooting I had to re-zero.
Paid nearly $200 for replacement mounts. I haven't needed to re-zero in ages. The gun gets tossed in the back of the truck (in a drag bag...has been dropped a couple of times (on snow and grass) and like last week when I checked zero before shooting the first shot hit the 1/2" bull at 100m.