Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
An air gauge would not find the damage. X ray would be the only NDT to find the problem.
No; how would you measure thousands of an inch by X-ray? You could tell some large differences, maybe, but then most of us will be able to see an 1/8 or 1/4" bulge.

Quote:
We are looking for distortion of possibly one of the lands, there would not be a change in the internal volume as this is about 1 single drop of water. If you think the barrel is going to bulge from a drop of water then you should also believe the mother ship is behind the comet and be sure to drink all of the purple Kool Aid.
I really have my doubts that a land on a chrome moly barrel would distort before a soft piece of copper does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
defend that thesis. i almost measured anything.
Huh?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
everyone is welcome to their opinion .

Are the barrels that I have to cut and crown due a deformation in a the grooves and lands magically appearing . Sometimes its 360 degrees damage sometimes a portion of a land or any variation thereof. Damage is usually from the crown to aprox 1\2 inche from muzzle.

If you feel confident its nonsense feel free to take an eye dropper and put a drop or 2 in the muzzle of you guns and give it a test .

While proof testing loads and doing pressure test we took a cooey 12 ga and put wet tissue paper in the bore to see what would happen . End of barrel was split wide open.
So what makes you believe that it is a drop of water? Seems suspicious that it is all 1/2 from the muzzle. If it was just a few drops of water, that could run all the way to the bullet. How many would you get that you would have to take 16" off to salvage?

Of course stuffing a wet piece of paper down a shotgun barrel will split it. About 0 people are surprised. That is a far cry from your assertion that "a drop of water will bulge a barrel".

Why not see if you can set up a test with the next barrel that's going to be bobbed anyway?

Pureblood!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
No; how would you measure thousands of an inch by X-ray? You could tell some large differences, maybe, but then most of us will be able to see an 1/8 or 1/4" bulge.
At work we take 3D Xrays of things to determine changes in the volume of very small areas. I would not recommend taking a rifle into an emergency room.....might get a little hectic.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
At work we take 3D Xrays of things to determine changes in the volume of very small areas. I would not recommend taking a rifle into an emergency room.....might get a little hectic.
As far as I know and in my experiences in industrial and medical settings, X-ray is far from precise and relies on markers to get any kind of resolution.

What kind of changes can you see? I doubt there is a machine in the country in any ER (or any other place) that can tell if a barrel is a few thou looser. Is there even an X-ray in any ER? Usually nuclear medicine is in another part of the hospital, and anything that is an "emergency" isn't likely to be subjected to X-rays prior.

Pureblood!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
As far as I know and in my experiences in industrial and medical settings, X-ray is far from precise and relies on markers to get any kind of resolution.

What kind of changes can you see? I doubt there is a machine in the country in any ER (or any other place) that can tell if a barrel is a few thou looser. Is there even an X-ray in any ER? Usually nuclear medicine is in another part of the hospital, and anything that is an "emergency" isn't likely to be subjected to X-rays prior.
Yes they do read that accurately. We use them to look for small voids and changes in shape. Yes down to 0.001 is measured easily.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Yes they do read that accurately. We use them to look for small voids and changes in shape. Yes down to 0.001 is measured easily.
Colour me surprised. How is that managed without a reference piece? Or is it? Is that with or without a marker?

Pureblood!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 PM

Default Huh

The wear I've seen on muzzles and an 1" into the barrel, have always been cleaning rod wear. I have no idea how anyone would prove the claims that a drop of water was the culprit without having scoped the barrel, then actually placed a drop of water and fired it. And then repeated this, ruining barrels numerous times, to quantify the claim.
I of course may have missed something, but I would wager greatly that the wear your finding is less than stellar cleaning practices.
Oh, and there's no place for air gauges in gun building, thank goodness! Its already a tool heavy "biness"!

Last edited by Full Curl Earl; 10-18-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Add