Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Restricted firearms range alberta

I need to send in a new membership to complete my PAL renewal. But can't justify the cost of a range membership hear in calgary. Chief firearms officer office said it can be any range in alberta. Can some of you help me out and give some range locations and prices.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I need to send in a new membership to complete my PAL renewal. But can't justify the cost of a range membership hear in calgary. Chief firearms officer office said it can be any range in alberta. Can some of you help me out and give some range locations and prices.
Your range membership does not need to be from a Club in Alberta,
there are very reasonable Clubs with very good facilities in BC and Sask,
and other advantages to joining a Club outside your province of residence.

There are several previous threads here on AO, do a search.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Associates membership at either CSC or the Shooting Edge. I think AFGA also? Not sure though.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Banned

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13155
Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 PM

Just a question, you can't justify the price to join a restricted club/facility, but where do you intend to use your guns if your not a member of one of them? Or do you just buy them to look at them? I'm not being smart, so don't take it the wrong way, just curious.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
Just a question, you can't justify the price to join a restricted club/facility, but where do you intend to use your guns if your not a member of one of them? Or do you just buy them to look at them? I'm not being smart, so don't take it the wrong way, just curious.
Always somebody looking for a reason.
Reason #1 I have a couple prohibs that are handed down and are quite old and expensive to shoot that i will not sell.
Reason #2 i have worked in remote areas and have obtained a permit to carry in the past and may obtain one in the future.
Reason #3 my other restricted firarms have some $ tied up into them and I don't interested on loosing my shirt when selling them. So i would rather own them to look at then give them away.
Reason #4 i have two kids that are at a busy age and involved in all sorts of activities that leaves me vary little time to shoot anymore. But I'm hopeing to have more time in a few years. So I don't want to te purchase what i have in the future for more money as I haven't seen this sport getting cheaper over the years.

I have nothing to hide ask your useless questions go apply to be a cop and if you become a cop you will realizes there is bigger issues than some guy trying to save some $.

Now to the guys that are helping with the question thanks and keep the ideas flowing
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Reason #1 I have a couple prohibs that are handed down and are quite old and expensive to shoot that i will not sell.
Reason #2 i have worked in remote areas and have obtained a permit to carry in the past and may obtain one in the future.
Reason #3 my other restricted firarms have some $ tied up into them and I don't interested on loosing my shirt when selling them. So i would rather own them to look at then give them away.
Reason #4 i have two kids that are at a busy age and involved in all sorts of activities that leaves me vary little time to shoot anymore. But I'm hopeing to have more time in a few years. So I don't want to te purchase what i have in the future for more money as I haven't seen this sport getting cheaper over the years.

I have nothing to hide ask your useless questions go apply to be a cop and if you become a cop you will realizes there is bigger issues than some guy trying to save some $.

Now to the guys that are helping with the question thanks and keep the ideas flowing
Perfect, just curious was all, my dad got a membership at the shooting edge for $75 just to please the cfo, might be an option for you. I have a range membership somewhere else, so he just shoots with me. I wish you luck!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow...a little thin skinned aren't we?
You're asking a question on a public forum, you can expect to be asked for a little info when asking a question that could very well be asked by someone trying to circumvent the law.
You've given exactly the kind of response that makes me wonder if there's not more to the story.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Reason #5: you're an artisinal gunsmith who tunes guns for fun and profit.

Reason #6: you're a dedicated mechanical engineer or computer geek who uses CAD to model and reproduce 3D printer versions of firearms and other objects for fun or profit.

Reason #7: you're daughter has demonstrated mind-blowing marksmanship at the age of 5, and you're building her an impressive Sweet 16 gift of many pistols.

Reason #8: you're participating in a sports psychology study where you only do dry fire practice and drills but compete at a high level in the US...

...Edson Fish and Game has an outstanding range, and it is supportive of vets/PTSD issues through various events through the year. $80.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Crowsnest Mountain Gun Club.

40/year or 2 years for 60.
Up to 300 yd target boads.

Beautiful location at the base of Crowsnest Mountain. If it interests you I could P.M. a contact number for membership.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Default memberships

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Associates membership at either CSC or the Shooting Edge. I think AFGA also? Not sure though.
Also AHEIA in Calgary
Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Taber, Brooks, etc. I'm a member of the Medicine Hat range, $100 yearly for rifle and pistol, 300 yards, dedicated pistol bays.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
You're asking a question on a public forum, you can expect to be asked for a little info when asking a question that could very well be asked by someone trying to circumvent the law.
You've given exactly the kind of response that makes me wonder if there's not more to the story.
I hate when people answer a question with a question too...

Also, how's he "trying to circumvent the law" when he's asking for prices of range memberships ?

(remove the tinfoil hat)
Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Actually there is no law that requires a person to have a range membership to renew a restricted PAL. This requirement is simply the CFO enforcing regulations that only exist in his mind.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Nosehills Gun Club in Consort is like $50 a year. Also an excellent facility and great club.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually there is no law that requires a person to have a range membership to renew a restricted PAL. This requirement is simply the CFO enforcing regulations that only exist in his mind.
Exactly. I actually commend the OP for his response. Made me smile.

There are lots of reasons a person might not want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a range membership at any given moment, but continue to own the restricteds they've owned for years, often decades. When life gets a little busy, should a person have to sell their whole collection, only to start over again a couple years down the road? The effect of Liberal social engineering is strong.

20 years ago, a person could POSSESS a firearm without permission. Let's try to keep that perspective so we have a sliver of hope of some day returning to a time of common sense.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
required or not isnt a person still subject to"his " rules ??
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Hanna has a gun range and is only $50/year
Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM

to the OP...forgive them, some are always canterous. Since you're in Calgary, the most epedient/cost effective is probably either the Shooting Edge or Calgary Shooting Centre. They both offer associate memberships to address the exact situation you're facing. Both under or at $100., neither give you any real priveleges other than a piece of paper saying you're a member to satisfy the CFO.