Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Cooper excalibur stock replacement.

I have cooper excalibur 56 in the beloved 280ai. Looking to shed a few pounds. Anyone know if cooper uses a remmy action pattern when looking for new parts or are they there own?

Anyone have any idea as to what stock they might like to shave weight? I belive the current bell and Carlson on the excalibur is 2.5lbs. Was thinking maybe a bell and Carlson mountain ti. That's around 2lbs. Does anyone have any reviews or experiences with light weight stocks they could send my way.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:03 AM

Sell the Cooper, order a NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) from Melvin Forbes in 280 AI. Gun will weigh 5.5 LBs and you will have way less into it than the Cooper with another $900 bucks worth of light weight stock and bedding. On top of which, he Cooper will still weigh more. The NULA will shoot every bit as tight as the Coopers do.

If you insist look at the McMillan lightweight, class of the crop. (You would need to have it custom inlet) You could also see if Wildcat, a Canadian company, will make one for the Cooper, as he doesn't now, but he does make excellent light weight stocks.

(Cooper is not a Remy style, shaped action, they are unique onto themselves)

Last edited by Dean2; 10-10-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sell the Cooper, order a NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) from Melvin Forbes in 280 AI.
That's exactly what I did.... in a round about way. I had a Cooper and loved the accuracy but didn't like the weight. So I sold the Cooper and bought a Finnlight. Weight was better but lacked the accuracy and I wasn't crazy about the Finnlight stock. So I bought a Kimber, really like the stock and weight, but the accuracy was about par with the Finnlight. Not that either was an inaccurate rifle, just neither was as accurate as my Cooper was. So I sold the Finnlight (kept the Kimber) and ordered a NULA. I should have the NULA in my hands in the next week or so and I'll be posting some pics and a review of sorts, so if you're interested keep an eye out for it.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sell the Cooper, order a NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) from Melvin Forbes in 280 AI. Gun will weigh 5.5 LBs and you will have way less into it than the Cooper with another $900 bucks worth of light weight stock and bedding. On top of which, he Cooper will still weigh more. The NULA will shoot every bit as tight as the Coopers do.

If you insist look at the McMillan lightweight, class of the crop. (You would need to have it custom inlet) You could also see if Wildcat, a Canadian company, will make one for the Cooper, as he doesn't now, but he does make excellent light weight stocks.

(Cooper is not a Remy style, shaped action, they are unique onto themselves)
That's a great idea. Althoigh my cooper was a gift so I don't really have anytning into it. So I think I'll go the stock route from mcmillan. Although, with that said. I think i might be looking at a nula from a new 6.5x47 lapua.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 PM

Cooper offers that rifle with a Kevlar stock (I think with an aluminum bedding block).. Not sure of the weight of it compared to those aftermarket stocks discussed here, but maybe worth a look.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:07 AM

I just found out that cooper now offers an ultralight. It's called the model 92 backcountry. It comes with a 24" braked and fluted barrel. Weighing 5.75 lbs, It's not the lightest out there but it's listed at the same price as the excalibur. Not too bad for 1/2" moa in a light weight rifle. Just sent out a email to prophet river to see if I can custom order one. I really love my 280ai so I think I'll keep cartridge.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 AM

I am surprised that they would chamber the model 56 in 280AI, the 280AI is usually chamber in the model 52. As for the factory Cooper synthetic stock for the models 52. and model 56, it is fiberglass with an aluminum bedding block, so it isn't going to save you much weight. I have heard of the Model 92, but I have yet to handle one, so I have no opinion on it at this time.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am surprised that they would chamber the model 56 in 280AI, the 280AI is usually chamber in the model 52. As for the factory Cooper synthetic stock for the models 52. and model 56, it is fiberglass with an aluminum bedding block, so it isn't going to save you much weight. I have heard of the Model 92, but I have yet to handle one, so I have no opinion on it at this time.

You're 100% right. Mine is the 52. I was tbinking 52 but wrote 56.