Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 PM

Default Wolf Traps

I have some wolves that have moved into the area and I was unsure about using a drag/grapple or anchoring the trap? What is the best method? Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmur View Post
I have some wolves that have moved into the area and I was unsure about using a drag/grapple or anchoring the trap? What is the best method? Thanks
What are you using for traps ?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 AM

Using MB750's and also have a couple Brawn's.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 AM

some say it doesn't matter. some say that you want them not too move as to catch the entire pack in other sets. some say long chain, some say short. many different opinions.

but they all say, the most important thing is to get out and do it!

keep us updated.
good luck!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 AM
AO Sponsor

A good rule of thumb would be, if he can hitch up easily drag, if not, then stake. Keep in mind the rule of setting to hold your largest potential catch, so that whenever possible large non targets can simply power out instead of needing release.

On drags, keep your chains very long for wolf and again to keep the drag on the ground for both the wolf and the rare day of the non target so that the drag itself stays down on the ground and is not doing circles in the air. Also, do not use grapples, they are often weak and require solid bushes/trees to stop game whereas the modern drag or "plow" is keeping your catch slowed down the moment the plow starts moving and any root system, even sod can plant the thing.

This one is a coyote plow. I would redo the chain connection point on it if I was going to use it around dangerous game. Welding every swivel is wise.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM

more thoughts on chain length marty??

was surprised to hear DL talk about it. short chain is the law over there.

hopefully can make some time to work on the lamination these next few days.

time to go check. all right!!!!!

Last edited by braggadoe; 10-22-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 PM

braggadoe.
that set up looks awefull!!.
NO SWIVELS??
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
A good rule of thumb would be, if he can hitch up easily drag, if not, then stake. Keep in mind the rule of setting to hold your largest potential catch, so that whenever possible large non targets can simply power out instead of needing release.

On drags, keep your chains very long for wolf and again to keep the drag on the ground for both the wolf and the rare day of the non target so that the drag itself stays down on the ground and is not doing circles in the air. Also, do not use grapples, they are often weak and require solid bushes/trees to stop game whereas the modern drag or "plow" is keeping your catch slowed down the moment the plow starts moving and any root system, even sod can plant the thing.

This one is a coyote plow. I would redo the chain connection point on it if I was going to use it around dangerous game. Welding every swivel is wise.
My goodness, those drags look slick. Didn't I see Tom Cruise use one to scale a building in one of his Mission Impossible shows?

Kidding aside, I imagine you have to boil both the chain and drag before using.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
more thoughts on chain length marty??

hopefully can make some time to work on the lamination these next few days.

time to go check. all right!!!!!
That's a lay trap if I see it right no need for nothing other than I like 2-3 feet of chain so there is no loose stakes.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Tom Cruise lives in Brooks... He's even a trapper, look him up!

Chain length... I am assuming that you got herself an authentic Dan Lay trap sitting at your feet?!! And it does look a little shy on the swivel department! Nasty!!! I'm sure it's a fine trap but swivels swivels swivels, can't have too many, and PLEASE, a Conners in-line shock spring? At a minimum you need swivels at the trap and swivels at the stake, then we should all be using a shock spring so swivels at both ends. Swivels make for no torsioned shoulders and no broken legs. Where'd you get that trap from?

Chain length... Never short unless you are forced to set beside a barb wire fence or some weird scenario, we all encounter things and you need a shorter chain so your critter doesn't get into the wire; thus the exception and not the rule. If I am a wolf trapper, never on a short chain but always on a long chain 12' to 15' and a serious plow at the the end of the thing, wide sharp and nasty. Heavy is good too. If I am a coyote trapper then always on a long chain whether staked or dragged.

Animals on long chains... One word, "Content"

Animals on short chains... One word, "ALWAYS EXTREMELY UNHAPPY"

Okay, three words but I made my point.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:59 AM

awful????nasty???? man you guys are harsh.

i think they are absolutely beautiful!! they're not even done yet. little bit more time with the welder, putting the lipstick on.

i'll post a pic when i'm done.

only foot trapped a couple wolves in the past. looking at these(and other) current traps, and all the add ons. it amazes me that a wolf could be caught(held), in the older traps.

progress, for sure.

those are dan's feet,not mine.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 AM
AO Sponsor

What a terrible way to secure a wolf. The trap looks lovely tho.

So nasty, terrible, vile... this simply refers to the chaining system. I would imagine he is eliminating the swivels cuz he likely wasn't aware of such equipment as Sterling swivels and the like; traditional swivels, yes wolves can open some of them, especially if you are using a ridiculously short chain and you have not installed mig welded swivels.

One thing to be good at catching stuff, another to be doing good on the technical aspects.

If you need some Sterling swivels to finish your chains up, the American Wolf Trapper made me some for my personal stock, I could spare a few.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post

I'd be interested to hear what he said about chain length. I guess you have to follow the law even if you don't want to. But in the mean time, I believe Canadian science has proven that short chains are not as humane as long.

Alberta's "code of ethics" or supposed code of ethics in the trapping regs used to say that all animals should be held on short chains. But this is very wrong thinking. Short chains cause shoulder damage, broken legs, broken feet and broken toes... = VILE! I don't know if it still states this today.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 AM

that would be great. how many you got? can you get more? i need enough for 8 traps.

since where talking DL. that instant boil stuff he's got out. seems to be working pretty good on the coyotes. early i know, but looks like it might be something.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 PM

The regs say, "Trappers are encouraged to:
install a centre‑mounted, swivelling, short chain (no longer than 30 cm, or 12 in., equipped with a shock absorber) for land foothold trap sets that are solidly anchored"

Encouraged, but not mandated. I long chain wolf traps and short chain yotes myself based on what I have been taught by guys who catch wolves consistently. And from what I have seen, long chain wolves are not as hard on themselves, cant pump against an anchor etc as a short chained wolf. Terry Martens has a half dozen good wolf trapping videos on youtube showing catches with longer chains and drags and you can really see the reactions and catch patterns of wolves in the snow once they have gotten hung up and one catch with a longer chain anchored to a tree.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:13 PM
AO Sponsor

Oops, I can't find the dang things, he sent me a whole box of them, in line swivels too. I think he actually told me to not bother welding them, but I still would on this side of the line for obvious reasons. I'll keep looking. If not I do have a box of them Conners "Rod Swivels" . (I gotta butter this guy up big time... I hear he sometimes passes out $1300 Steelhead rods!!!)

Hmm... Instant boil eh???

Regs stil say that huh? And how are traps successfully tested in this country?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:16 AM

please, no butter.

just the facts.

fastest way to learn something.... go to the folks that are the best at what they do.

then get out and do it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:51 AM

Correct me if my practise is wrong, but I am using long chains with swivels but I'm not using a grapple or hooking type device. I'm using 4 foot long logs about 8-10 inch diameter instead. I secure the chain to the front of the log so it plows into snow and makes a easy to follow trough. With the long chain any time the animal turns, it snags on bush and trees and the animal is anchored there. Both wolves I caught last year made it no more than 100 feet with this set up before the log caught on willows and anchored them.

I trap on farm land. So having a grapple or hook scares me. The animal could potentially go for miles before getting the hook caught on something and anchoring it. And if it happens to snow, I might never find it. So I use my logs.

If there's a better way for open country please share info.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:21 AM

I bought a couple traps for wolf this year. Not sure if I will get a chance to use them much as I check traps every week to 10 days most of the time. If I ever do find I can use them and will be able to check I worry about drags as well. I got mine done with 2 swivels and 10 feet of chain. I was thinking of a large green tree to use as a drag or anchor is solid to a tree if I can. I like the idea of anchoring solid best. I would love to hear from those that have caught a lot of wolves of what they find best and how far a critter will go if on a drag usually