Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Default Wolverine Pelt

Hi Everyone, I am new here today and have a question. I am receiving a wolverine pelt from an Aboriginal Trapper and am wondering what I have to do to make sure everything is legal. Does it have to be tanned prior to him giving it to me as I am not a licensed fur buyer? What about then taking it across provincial boundaries or into the USA? I just can't find anything differentiating Aboriginal from non-Native trappers.

Thanks for any information!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damienvon3 View Post
Hi Everyone, I am new here today and have a question. I am receiving a wolverine pelt from an Aboriginal Trapper and am wondering what I have to do to make sure everything is legal. Does it have to be tanned prior to him giving it to me as I am not a licensed fur buyer? What about then taking it across provincial boundaries or into the USA? I just can't find anything differentiating Aboriginal from non-Native trappers.

Thanks for any information!
As far as owning that pelt, it makes no difference who trapped it so long as it was taken legally and the royalty has been paid.

And yes, it has to be tanned before you take possession of it.

I don't know anything about transporting it across borders.
I would think you'd have to obtain an export permit to take it to the States but within Canada, I'm not sure what, if anything, you'd have to do.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Once its tanned it classed as a garment they did not need a export into us unless the us has changed the law
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the information!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 AM

There is a difference in that wolverines harvested within the boundaries of a reserve do not have comply to the quota. There have been reports of multiple wolverines coming off of some northern reserves at numbers that are not believable. Perhaps an attempt to legalize wolverines caught off reserve?

Once its tanned its not your problem but the US is in the process of classifying wolverines as threatened in the lower 48 so it could get interesting soon.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
There is a difference in that wolverines harvested within the boundaries of a reserve do not have comply to the quota. There have been reports of multiple wolverines coming off of some northern reserves at numbers that are not believable. Perhaps an attempt to legalize wolverines caught off reserve?

Once its tanned its not your problem but the US is in the process of classifying wolverines as threatened in the lower 48 so it could get interesting soon.

Brian, it is from a reserve up north... Should I stay away from it or just get it tanned right away and go for it? Also, then how do I prove that it is from a reserve if needed later?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM

I am pretty sure you need a registered trapping licence or the Indian trappers licence to send a raw wolverine pelt to the tannery because they will need the information of the trapper who harvested it. I wouldn't take possession of a pelt unless it was tanned. You cannot even sell a coyote pelt to someone (other than a Furbuyer) unless it is tanned
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM

why dont you call F&W , they will gladly tell you what you need to know.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
i am pretty sure you need a registered trapping licence or the indian trappers licence to send a raw wolverine pelt to the tannery because they will need the information of the trapper who harvested it. I wouldn't take possession of a pelt unless it was tanned. You cannot even sell a coyote pelt to someone (other than a furbuyer) unless it is tanned
amen
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
why dont you call F&W , they will gladly tell you what you need to know.
AMEN as well